LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 4, 2017, 2:01 pm 

Hello,

After some time lurking on this board….I’ve taken the plunge and committed to building a Locost. I just purchased a 1988 Mustang 5.0L engine with a 5 speed transmission and a 2003 Lincoln LS rear suspension.

I’m planning on building a slightly stretched and widen McSorley 442E, this will be a street cruiser and not used for track purposes, I don’t mind sacrificing some performance for comfort.

I’ve searched the forum for LS rear builds, but wasn’t able to find any. If anyone can suggest some links I would greatly appreciate it.

As my available free time is limited, I suspect this build might take a year to 18 months to complete (maybe 2 years lol).

Any and all suggestions are greatly welcomed and as I post pictures during the build, please critique the build, I have a very thick skin!!!!

Also, I was hoping to find somebody on the forum that can help me adjust the McSorley 442E frame size on Autocad. I would be willing to compensate them for their time.

Regards

PostPosted: April 4, 2017, 5:00 pm 

Welcome.
bonanza2 wrote:
As my available free time is unlimited, I suspect this build might take a year to 18 months to complete (maybe 2 years lol).

Fixed that for you. And you did say you had very thick skin.
Since you have the engine, transmission and rear end, I would place them on the build table and build the frame to suit. The dimensions are less important than the design and layout of the tubing. Even better if have the seats and the steering rack on hand.
Good luck.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: April 4, 2017, 6:25 pm 

Welcome to the board, and good luck with the build. This forum is a great resource to help you succeed.

I'm with mgkluft on his correction to your post. It took me just over 3 years to complete my locost, and that was working on it an average of 5 hours a week.

PostPosted: April 4, 2017, 7:26 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome. This forum is a valuable resource.

I'm no stranger to long projects....It once took me 8 years to build an airplane!

1 year/2 years/3 years.....it's just a number. LOL

mgkluft - very nice build log and video.....Great workmanship!!! I might be too embarrassed to post my work.

PostPosted: April 5, 2017, 8:04 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Bonanza!
Welcome to the gang. Sounds like an interesting build. The 5.0 Ford is a good powerplant and a good choice for one of our cars, mostly due to the small size -vs- displacement and power you get in return. I don't know much about the Lincoln LS rear, but is it the usual FoMoCo 8.8 diff? Several builders used those, there should be some info floatin' around in here somewhere.

Quote:
I might be too embarrassed to post my work.
Nahhh, just look in on Team Slotus. You'll feel like Michelangelo after that!

Good luck with the build, keep us updated, and post lotsa pictures!

Peace. Love and FoMoCo-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 5, 2017, 8:15 am 

With your experience and realistic attitude, you are a qualified inmate to this asylum. :rofl:
Although everyone starts out with an end goal (ie: I really want that car!), those who view the build process as their hobby, with an added bonus of a finished car, tend to do a lot better in actually finishing a car. Enjoy the journey. :cheers:

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: April 5, 2017, 9:40 am 

Welcome to the forum for insane people. Where are you located? Maybe someone near you has a 442 that you can go see. Russ

PostPosted: April 5, 2017, 10:59 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Bonanza!
Welcome to the gang. Sounds like an interesting build. The 5.0 Ford is a good powerplant and a good choice for one of our cars, mostly due to the small size -vs- displacement and power you get in return. I don't know much about the Lincoln LS rear, but is it the usual FoMoCo 8.8 diff? Several builders used those, there should be some info floatin' around in here somewhere.

From what I understand, the Lincoln LS diff is an 8" but up to 2003 the 8.8 lsd parts fit. I am waiting for the rear suspension to be pulled from the car and delivered, I got a great deal from a private seller for $225.00, he even agreed to pull and deliver it. But he is doing it in his spare time, so I should have it in the next few weeks. When I get it, I'll check and see if I got lucky, it might be an LSD. Fingers crossed!

mgkluft wrote:
With your experience and realistic attitude, you are a qualified inmate to this asylum. :rofl:

Membership accepted!!! BTW mgkluft, I noticed your profile pic, what do you fly?

mgkluft wrote:
Although everyone starts out with an end goal (ie: I really want that car!), those who view the build process as their hobby, with an added bonus of a finished car, tend to do a lot better in actually finishing a car. Enjoy the journey. :cheers:

It's really not about having another car, it's much cheaper and easier just to buy something!!! It really is about the build.

I enjoy creating something from nothing, airplanes, amplifiers, cars, motorcycles, etc....

trialsmangasgas wrote:
Welcome to the forum for insane people. Where are you located? Maybe someone near you has a 442 that you can go see. Russ

I'm up in Canada, just north of Toronto in Richmond Hill....I would be great to meet other builders!

Regards

PostPosted: April 5, 2017, 11:24 am 

Welcome. I second finding several some car(s) to sit in. Even for a same frame, "comfort" can be very different in different cars depending on the seating used. I think you would be surprised how roomy a 442 can be.

I have a "book" chassis, and with the exception of a tight footwell area and lack of room for your big 'merican V8, it is very comfortable on 5-12 hour drives, even for some (ahem) larger framed people.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 5, 2017, 12:01 pm 

The footbox area is one of my concerns. I've owned a few Italian cars with tight footboxes and my size 13 feet just didn't fit!!

PostPosted: April 5, 2017, 12:38 pm 

bonanza2 wrote:
Membership accepted!!! BTW mgkluft, I noticed your profile pic, what do you fly?

That was my first build; a Challenger II, that I built under the Amateur Built rules. Talk about a steep hill to climb. I enjoyed the build, but was a bit disappointed in the airplane. I spent too many years in a Pitts S1, so I was spoilt. But with two young daughters, I have to tame my exploits. Sold the airplane after I flew off the 50 hrs, and now I just keep building things.
https://vimeo.com/143529062

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: April 5, 2017, 1:11 pm 

bonanza2,
I forgot to mention this earlier: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18827
It may be worth your while to look into it. I don't know if the rule changes only apply to kits, but better be safe than sorry. The regulations are the least fun of the whole build. :BH: But having built an airplane, you are probably well aware of that.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: April 5, 2017, 1:18 pm 
We are Slotus!

bonanza2 wrote:
The footbox area is one of my concerns. I've owned a few Italian cars with tight footboxes and my size 13 feet just didn't fit!!
If they make those fancy-schmancy Eye-Tallian driving shoes in 13s, and if you don't already own a pair, you're gonna want some...

I can drive my car with Sperry "Top Siders" (size 12) on iffen I have to, but the smooth-sided G-Force driving shoes make a huge difference.

Many moons ago, I got the edge of my shoe sole caught under the brake pedal and couldn't get my foot off the gas onto the brake. Got it all loose and on the right pedal after just a second or so... But it's still not something I wanna do a second time!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 5, 2017, 6:18 pm 

mgkluft wrote:
That was my first build; a Challenger II, that I built under the Amateur Built rules. Talk about a steep hill to climb. I enjoyed the build, but was a bit disappointed in the airplane. I spent too many years in a Pitts S1, so I was spoilt. But with two young daughters, I have to tame my exploits. Sold the airplane after I flew off the 50 hrs, and now I just keep building things.
https://vimeo.com/143529062

Great work on the Challenger II!!! (a Pitts is a great airplane) Love the video….good old Canadian humour!!!

mgkluft wrote:
bonanza2,
I forgot to mention this earlier: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18827
It may be worth your while to look into it. I don't know if the rule changes only apply to kits, but better be safe than sorry. The regulations are the least fun of the whole build. :BH: But having built an airplane, you are probably well aware of that.

I wasn’t aware of the new regs….The big issue is the Electronic Stability Control requirement which could be a very difficult thing to implement on a homebuilt vehicle. I'll have to do some research. It won't stop my build, it's just another challenge!!! I guess I'll have to add another year to my build schedule! LOL!

I’ve been in contact with a few clubs and hopefully with some lobbying, things might change. Thanks for the heads-up. I think that all Canadians hot-rodders, kit builders etc. should take a close look at this and support any lobbying effort, because if it's a requirement in 1 province, generally these things spread and could affect all the provinces!!!! Worst case scenario, I can always move to British Columbia, I hear the winters are better then Ontario.

GonzoRacer wrote:
bonanza2 wrote:
If they make those fancy-schmancy Eye-Tallian driving shoes in 13s, and if you don't already own a pair, you're gonna want some...

I’ll have to get me some!!!!

GonzoRacer wrote:
Many moons ago, I got the edge of my shoe sole caught under the brake pedal and couldn't get my foot off the gas onto the brake. Got it all loose and on the right pedal after just a second or so... But it's still not something I wanna do a second time!

:cheers:
JDK

Been there, done that!!!! I have the t-shirt.