LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McSorley 7 +442e
PostPosted: March 24, 2020, 7:11 pm 

Good evening. This is a question about converting 1" square tubing prints to 1 1/4". I assume that you have to subtract 1/2" from any length of tubing that goes between two others, whether horizontal or vertical. I guess if you want to build to spec of the blue prints, that is the way to go, and what I will do. But, I guess that you could go either way, there is nothing written in stone. Just wondering what other builders have done? Thanks, Don

Post subject: Re: McSorley 7 +442e
PostPosted: March 24, 2020, 8:23 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Steel tubing sizes are not precisely made. If I wanted to use larger tubing, to reduce the likely-hood of inconsistent math errors, I'd convert the dims to centerline measures so it stays symmetrical but would probably be about 0.50" larger.

If you want it to be exact, why not use the spec'd tube size?

You could also just start with outside dims then work your way through the middle.

I thought someone found errors in the book dims anyway.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 24, 2020, 8:55 pm 

OldLotusGuy wrote:
Good evening. This is a question about converting 1" square tubing prints to 1 1/4". I assume that you have to subtract 1/2" from any length of tubing that goes between two others, whether horizontal or vertical. I guess if you want to build to spec of the blue prints, that is the way to go, and what I will do. But, I guess that you could go either way, there is nothing written in stone. Just wondering what other builders have done? Thanks, Don

Yes, and no. If depends on what you plan on building and if/where you are sourcing body parts from. i.e. if you are buying fiberglass from Kinetic, then the nose determines the overall width at the front, and the windshield frame from him also determines the OAW at the scuttle. I'm not sure how these fit the McSorley chassis. You could also decide to keep the inside dimensions the same and let the width of the chassis grow accordingly. Thus my yes and no answer.

As MV8 has said, there is nothing wrong with 1" tubing. A lot of cars have been built using it. I've never heard of a chassis failure.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 25, 2020, 3:13 am 

If you're going to use the 442e drawings and decide to use Jack's fiberglass pieces (Kinetic) you will have to add center sections to both the scuttle and the nose piece. Therefore the width dimension is really not that critical, a 1/2" will not make a big difference.
Roy

PostPosted: March 25, 2020, 9:19 am 

Just don't forget about rear end width when increasing chassis width ... Do you already have a donor? If so, that may drive your decision.

PostPosted: March 25, 2020, 3:51 pm 

Warren Nethercote wrote:
Just don't forget about rear end width when increasing chassis width ... Do you already have a donor? If so, that may drive your decision.
What Warren said. Measure inside of RR tire to inside of LR (that's Left Rear, not Left Right) tire, and subtract at least a couple inches for chassis width.

YMMV, and I have a bit less than an inch clearance per side on MAX (book width, early Toyota Corolla live axle) but I've had to learn to be careful pulling into places where one side is higher than the other, and to tolerate a teenie bit of rub when I swing into the poorly designed driveway of my local DQ.

[Edit: For IRS, you maybe need more for the big bumps.]

PostPosted: March 25, 2020, 5:21 pm 

My frame is based on a 442E plan. I have a Fox Mustang 8.8 rear end. My frame is 46" wide at the rear.
Attachment:
1st item in new garage (2).JPG

With the swing arms, it fits nicely. If you are using a lower powered motor you could also use the 7.5" rear end from the Fox bodied Mustang. They are the same size and very cheap. Some even come with posi.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 28, 2020, 3:54 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
Warren Nethercote wrote:
What Warren said. Measure inside of RR tire to inside of LR (that's Left Rear, not Left Right) tire, and subtract at least a couple inches for chassis width.

YMMV, and I have a bit less than an inch clearance per side on MAX (book width, early Toyota Corolla live axle) but I've had to learn to be careful pulling into places where one side is higher than the other, and to tolerate a teenie bit of rub when I swing into the poorly designed driveway of my local DQ.

[Edit: For IRS, you maybe need more for the big bumps.]

As a counter point, the strategy above is based on letting your axle width and wheels constrain the width of your frame, but you could also build the frame as wide as you need (within reason) and select rims with a low offset, and/or use wheel spacers as needed to create enough clearance to the body.

PostPosted: March 29, 2020, 8:59 am 

Good morning! First of all I want to thank MV8, Chuck, Roy, Warren, Jack, Bostonwill, and mainlandwill for all your thoughts, information, and guidance. This thread was started because I (thought I) wanted to build the stronger, larger frame to accommodate a V8 SBC that I rebuilt about 6 years ago, but.......I also have a 2.0L Duratec, an M50D 5 speed transmission, a 7.5" I.R.S. from an M12 T-Bird and a half completed "Book Frame" (Chris Gibbs). So, knowing that I can't "bolt" the M50D trans to the V8, and have to spend hundreds to purchase a T5, plus hundreds to buy adapters and bell housing I have decided to go ahead with the "book" frame and small Ford. I'm sure the "7" with the Duratec will still be a blast to drive! Thanks again....I will be working on my "project" soon and I know, Pictures, Pictures, Pictures. Don