LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 27, 2024, 11:22 am 

Wondering about pedal boxes or pedal assemblies.

Are there any specific benefits (or detriments) on a floor mount versus a firewall mount assembly?

I'd prefer to use something engineered using "off the shelf" components, where I simply need to select throw and bore size appropriately.
I suppose I'd also prefer remote reservoirs, mounted as high as feasible for maintenance.

I'm attempting to account for many things at once during the planning stage, and am realizing.. "I don't know what I don't know"...

I am finding a good selection of prefabbed assemblies.
I'm wondering if I'm not better off using separate divorced components, placed where I want them??

PostPosted: March 29, 2024, 2:20 am 

It'll depend on the dimensions of your build.. and feet. Something hinged at the top will require, in my opinion, more complex mounting since the mounts will be higher than the top rail of the frame. I just welded a piece of thicker plate between my frame rails at the floor level and mounted my Wilwood pedal box there. From the master cylinders, I ran hose up to the reservoirs with Wilwood's remote reservoir kit.

PostPosted: March 29, 2024, 11:12 am 

I have found on Craigslist($100) a new set of Wilwood pedal assembly(had to change only on cylinder) that is top mount and reversed(reservoirs pointing toward inside of the car), that is high enough for maintenance, no need to raise the reservoirs any higher. For the gas pedal, I have picked up a cheap pedal from Ebay, it is chromed though, looks a bit off. Machined new bronze bushings, because the plastic ones were to sloppy to my liking. That is top mounted as well.
I think, that there is more room up there for your pointier shoes to reach the pedals, and it is more ergonomically correct as well.

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: March 29, 2024, 11:32 am 

Found some pictures here:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24620&start=75

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: March 31, 2024, 11:49 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

KeithOelzen wrote:
Wondering about pedal boxes or pedal assemblies.

Are there any specific benefits (or detriments) on a floor mount versus a firewall mount assembly?

I'd prefer to use something engineered using "off the shelf" components, where I simply need to select throw and bore size appropriately.
I suppose I'd also prefer remote reservoirs, mounted as high as feasible for maintenance.

I'm attempting to account for many things at once during the planning stage, and am realizing.. "I don't know what I don't know"...

I am finding a good selection of prefabbed assemblies.
I'm wondering if I'm not better off using separate divorced components, placed where I want them??

Assemblies are fine. Hanging pedals are easier to keep clean but consider the pedal assy mounting height/bonnet clearance for the height of the ball of your foot. Reversed pedals (masters aft of the pedal) make the most of the space available and are traditional. Balance column height at the firewall with pedal assy placement. The fluid level in the reservoir should be higher than the calipers to avoid residual pressure valves that can cause brake drag.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 9, 2024, 3:33 pm 

I went divorced components knowing that it would be a tight fit anyways. Having the ability to place the components right where I need them was the best option. I found mine on this site for sale from someone who changed directions. Floor mount clutch and brake with remote reservoir and repurchased miata gas pedal. For reservoirs, I am currently using remote wildwood that came its the pedals but plan to change to a Tilton 3 chamber remote reservoir. I think its a cleaner solution.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en