LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 25, 2020, 12:00 pm 

I'm new to the forum and have decided to pull the trigger on building my own chassis. I have a miata for the donor. I've seen plans for the saturn and vodou chassis on here. They appeal to me because the necessary mods have been made for a miata engine, trans, rear end, suspension, etc. The only thing that does not look like it will work for me is the super narrow cockpit. I've got a corbeau fx1 pro seat that I would like to fit. Its a small seat but apparently not small enough!

I've seen the mcsorley 442 design and it looks like it would accomodate my spatial needs a bit better. Has anyone seen plans like the saturn or vodou but based on the 442 instead of the book chassis?

Another concern I have is finding readily available bodywork to fit the larger design.

If anyone can refer me to a build that goes along these lines it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PostPosted: June 25, 2020, 2:54 pm 

Chase-
Jack at Kinetic has fiberglass nose pieces and scuttles that will fit a 442 design but with extra trim pieces added in the center of the body piece. Check out his site. http://www.kineticvehicles.com/

I'm not aware of any drawings like the Voodoo or Saturn drawings made for the 442 width. It should not be hard to accommodate and combine the Voodoo or Saturn design to the 442 design.

I don't know if this helps but good luck.

Cheers, Roy

PostPosted: June 25, 2020, 4:00 pm 

Thanks, Roy. I didn't realize kinetic had body parts for the 442. The main thing i'm worried about is getting all the suspension pick up points right for the larger chassis. I was hoping to find someone who's already figured it out, but i may have to hop on one of these suspension programs and play with them.

PostPosted: June 26, 2020, 8:28 am 

You should be able to use either the Saturn or Vodou chassis suspension pick up points as designed. Changing the width of the chassis does not alter the suspension design. It's the relationship of the upper to lower mounts, assuming you are using the spindle the suspension was designed around.. You can add an 1" or 6" to the width of the frame, the camber gain will still be the same. The only slight change you see is a wider track should have less roll. But here you have sway bars and spring rates impacting the roll. what is your location?
Davew

PostPosted: June 26, 2020, 11:33 am 

First of all Chase, welcome to the funny farm! Second, I would like to agree with davew about letting us know where you call home! There may be someone near you that has already finished (or even just started) a build that you could gain inspiration from! Third and final question, are you aware of the fact a Haynes chassis IS bigger than "Book". Compared to a Book build, the Haynes would be a 221! Just looking for clarification here. Once again... WELCOME!!! :cheers:

PostPosted: June 27, 2020, 2:36 pm 

Thanks for the insight, guys. And I live in Greenville, SC. I guess the only thing to do now is start building and figure it out!

PostPosted: June 30, 2020, 7:42 pm 

Hi Chase,

My car is a +4 with an overly wide driveshaft tunnel. I have 18" of seat wodth on the driver side and 17" for the passenger. I am using Porsche 914 seats that were super reasonable when I bought them 14 years ago. Not so much now.

A concern always is the pedal box. I have size 10 feet and have no problems with my fabbed up arrangement.

And you're right about solving problems as you come to them. You will find you are doing a lot engineering on the fly.

I don't have a build log but a bunch of crappy pictures and if you want see any just ask. The list of excellent fabricators here is lengthy. All willing to advise.

Best of luck, have fun and get rolling. It's not going to build itself.

Cheers!

PostPosted: July 3, 2020, 12:08 pm 

Hey Chase, Welcome to the gang. I’m no expert but I’m building a 442, loosely following McSoreley’s design. He has always offered to share his complete set of drawings for free, online for the book dims, or several other configs, 221, etc. Very helpful. Also kind of following his suggestions for adjustable front suspension.
I’m in Easley, SC a few miles from you. Feel free to call and stop in.. I’ve started with a 93 MIATA, then shifted to using a 2 L Ford Duratec engine with NC 6 speed. Independent rear suspension of my own design.
Cheers, Skidzzz (Mark )
Eight six four four two zero nine nine five six

PostPosted: July 3, 2020, 12:46 pm 

skidzzz wrote:
I’m in Easley, SC a few miles from you. Feel free to call and stop in.. I’ve started with a 93 MIATA, then shifted to using a 2 L Ford Duratec engine with NC 6 speed. Independent rear suspension of my own design.
Cheers, Skidzzz (Mark )
Eight six four four two zero nine nine five six

See Chase, the location thing works! :cheers:

PostPosted: July 7, 2020, 5:08 pm 

Thanks guys!