LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Book Prices
PostPosted: July 13, 2020, 8:40 pm 

I've been thinking about building a Locost. I figure the first step would be to buy the book and work my way through it. All the ones I find are $140! In the total scope of the car build cost that's nothing. But to see if it's something that one wants to tackle or not, that's a chunk of change to lay out. Have I missed something, or is that just the cost of entry?

Jim
Orcas Island, WA

Last edited by IslandTime on July 14, 2020, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Book Prices
PostPosted: July 13, 2020, 10:31 pm 

WOW! I had no idea the books had gotten that expensive, or that the Gibbs book was out of print already. My best suggestion is to just hang out here with a bunch of knowledgeable guys, and soak up all the info that you can. Keith Tanners Locost build log (cheapsportscar.net) is still up and running and it actually has more info than his book did. Keep your eyes open at flea markets, rummage sales, etc. You may get lucky! :!:

PostPosted: July 13, 2020, 10:37 pm 

OH! Another thing that I always suggest to "Newbies" is to post your location. Who Knows, someone might be near you that could help with your search or have a few books that he'll loan or sell for an attractive price!

PostPosted: July 15, 2020, 1:43 am 

Hi Jim,

The Gibbs book is in a PDF form and you can down load it here free.
https://vdocuments.site/build-your-own-sports-car.html

The Champion book is here with a charge for the online version and a link for a for free download but it does require registration.
https://marvellayoungkasp.files.wordpre ... ampion.pdf

I live in Shoreline, have a 99.9% completed Locost and would be glad to answer any questions about the project that I can. PM would work.

Cheers!

PostPosted: July 15, 2020, 11:52 pm 

If you haven't already looked at them, you should also check out the free plans here:

http://sevenesque.com/plans/

PostPosted: July 20, 2020, 3:07 pm 

Thank you all for the relies. I snagged the download of Gibbs's book, but not Champion's book. You have to give your credit card number to bookblob.com which has a very high spammy/fraudy rating. I already found and downloaded the plans from sevenesque, as well as looked through Kieth Tanner's site. Both are great references.

I'd love to hang out with a group working on a car(s), but I live on a rural island which is only served by ferry boats. Sounds idyllic, until you actually want to get something done. It's minimum of 3 hour round trip, and that's only to the road on the mainland, never mind where you are trying to go to. Travel in the summer is a lot more difficult as we are a tourist destination and the ferries are normally overloaded. Then of course there is the whole corona virus thing, but that's a different set of problems. The internet, and UPS, are one's best friend when living in an isolated area.

Larry, Shoreline is nice and close. I would welcome the chance to come down and see what you've done, and to try out the cockpit size in real life to make sure that what I do winds up being something I can enjoy. And of course making sure that my wife can get in and out of it as well. Which version are you building.

Jim
Orcas Island, WA

PostPosted: July 25, 2020, 1:55 pm 

Hi Jim,

My car is a +4+2?+?. Length over book is questionable due to me using and modifying the Miata rear subframe. It is a little longer than book but the extra is behind the rear bulkhead so there is no room advantage there. However the width was quite mandatory for me. Seat choice was the determining factor if I fit or not. I'm using Porsche 914 seats that I bought well before 914s became a popular restoration project. I don't fit well in the Kirkey style seats.

We are about 1 1/2 hours south of Anacortes just off I-5 if you get a chance to come by. I'm retired and now days home every day.

This is my Locost in its present form.

Attachment:
IMG_0654 2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 27, 2020, 8:44 pm 

[quote="benny_toe"]My car is a +4+2?+?. Length over book is questionable due to me using and modifying the Miata rear subframe. It is a little longer than book but the extra is behind the rear bulkhead so there is no room advantage there. However the width was quite mandatory for me. Seat choice was the determining factor if I fit or not. I'm using Porsche 914 seats that I bought well before 914s became a popular restoration project. I don't fit well in the Kirkey style seats.
/quote]

Larry,

Sounds like the size I was thinking of. I test drove a 914 years ago and it was comfortable. I owned and drove a Spitfire and MGB for a number of years. For a real exercise in small, I owned a Honda 600 for a while. Now that was cramped! OTH, I'm not as young and flexible as I once was.

This is has been a long slow thinking process for me. It will probably be at least a year before I start on it. I'll be retiring in a few years and I'll have some prep work to get done before I start it, including building an addition on our pole barn for a metal working shop.

Cheers,
Jim