LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 3, 2020, 11:11 pm 

Hey guys, just purchased the steel for my build! I just wanted to post a quote for current pricing so that other lurkers (I lurked for almost 4 years) have an idea of how much building a frame would cost. Below is my order from my local metal source Kloeckner Metals, however I do want to mention a few things with regards to the amount I purchased:
- The minimum order had to be $250
- I was not able to get any round tubing from them as they only source pipe
- Even with getting extra tubing in order to account for my mistakes, I didn’t hit the minimum order.
- All of the extra metal will be going towards a full metal build table and a few other projects.
- I’m using the build table and other projects to practice some more TIG welding as that is how I will be building my car.

Here is the full quote:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 4, 2020, 12:44 am 

I have to ask, what are you using the 11 gauge (.125") sheet for?
I used a lot of 16 gauge (.065") sheet on my builds (floor, tunnel, behind the seats), actually about 2 sheets per car.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: August 4, 2020, 3:28 am 

Using 11 gauge sheet for the suspension brackets since they did not have anything lighter. I’ll have to look elsewhere for thinner sheet.

PostPosted: August 4, 2020, 5:25 am 

It is nice to see someone is looking out for the lurkers, good effort!

PostPosted: August 4, 2020, 7:59 am 

Kinetic Research wrote:

One of the hardest parts of pulling the trigger for the build was looking at all of the amazing cars on this sight, but not having an idea for cost. While on my build there will be parts that I splurge on, it was difficult to even get to the stage I am now without having tons of questions in the back of my mind. I’m hoping that all of the people whom either don’t have accounts, or just don’t post, have access to more information. Hopefully they join the community and bless us with more build logs and ideas!

PostPosted: August 4, 2020, 8:29 am 

Castrol wrote:
Kinetic Research wrote:

One of the hardest parts of pulling the trigger for the build was looking at all of the amazing cars on this sight, but not having an idea for cost. While on my build there will be parts that I splurge on, it was difficult to even get to the stage I am now without having tons of questions in the back of my mind. I’m hoping that all of the people whom either don’t have accounts, or just don’t post, have access to more information. Hopefully they join the community and bless us with more build logs and ideas!

The chassis steel is one of the cheapest parts of the build if you have a good local distributor.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: August 4, 2020, 8:41 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Location, the economy, whether it's new or used material, or sits outside, the amount purchased, your relationship with the place, it all plays a huge part in the cost, so much so that people don't list the price. Also, and as was said, it's one of the smaller expenses in the car, so it doesn't tend to get much attention. Building one of these cars costs $$$$, so at the end of the day, metal cost is just another small line item.

PostPosted: August 4, 2020, 2:55 pm 

For sure, frame is on the low end.

My powertrain choice alone is already into me a few thousand $, and the frame has to be built around it. :oops:

PostPosted: August 4, 2020, 5:06 pm 

If you're having trouble hitting a minimum order and have the space to store it for a while. you can tip the scales a bit by also ordering some sheet metal. Either aluminum or steel (depending on your preference) for the floor pan and firewalls, as well as aluminum for the body. I went with a fully welded 16ga floor pan and front/rear firewalls, .035" aluminum for most of the body and .025" for the hood (so I could shape it), if I remember correctly. Car still came in at 1200 lbs.

PostPosted: August 4, 2020, 7:23 pm 

ZiG wrote:
If you're having trouble hitting a minimum order and have the space to store it for a while. you can tip the scales a bit by also ordering some sheet metal. Either aluminum or steel (depending on your preference) for the floor pan and firewalls, as well as aluminum for the body. I went with a fully welded 16ga floor pan and front/rear firewalls, .035" aluminum for most of the body and .025" for the hood (so I could shape it), if I remember correctly. Car still came in at 1200 lbs.

Great idea! I was planning on building my own roll bar/ roll cage/ hard top interchangeable when that time comes I might have a better idea on what I’ll need body panel wise. Hopefully....

PostPosted: August 8, 2020, 11:55 pm 

Instead of fabricating the suspension brackets from sheet, make them from 3"x2"x1/8" tube. Cut the tube off at 1-3/8" or 1-1/2" then cut that piece in half on the long side. 2 cuts, 2 brackets, easy as.
Regards,

PostPosted: August 9, 2020, 8:53 pm 

Mikes7 wrote:
Instead of fabricating the suspension brackets from sheet, make them from 3"x2"x1/8" tube. Cut the tube off at 1-3/8" or 1-1/2" then cut that piece in half on the long side. 2 cuts, 2 brackets, easy as.
Regards,
It is indeed easy, BUT if you go that route (much cheaper than ordering them from, say, KineticVehicles.com, cough cough, no connection...okay, I own the joint) drill the pivot holes before you cut the stuff -- it is so much easier, more accurate, and dare I say safer, if you drill it as one big tube rather than trying to drill big holes in little pieces of metal.

You'll probably want to spend some time with a flap wheel and an angle grinder before you mount them, both for looks and so as not to gouge yourself on them while working on the suspension, but squared off brackets will certainly do the job (CMC used to provide its frames that way).

PostPosted: August 10, 2020, 1:49 am 

G'day Jack,
There's certainly some finishing work required, but the blanks you cut out of the sheet have to be finished as well. Wasn't recommending by passing suppliers such as yourself by the way, the OP stated he'd bought 11g sheet to make brackets from.
I have had direct input on around 25 chassis over the last 20 odd years, and I have a jig for the column drill that I clamp the bracket blanks into so the holes are accurate. A tip for those drilling their own brackets, drill to very nearly the required size so you're only finishing to size with the on size drill. It's way more accurate. More work, but more accurate.
Regards,

PostPosted: August 11, 2020, 12:46 am 

Believe me, Mike7, I wasn't feeling passed over. If one wants to make one's own brackets (pardon my NSFW language) making them out of tube and cutting them is the way to do it. For those who do not have 25 chassis worth of experience and who do not have a jig that clamps the bracket blanks for accurate drilling, I feel drilling the holes before cutting the tube it the better way to go.

I most definitely do not encourage anybody to make brackets out of sheet stock. It takes expensive specialized equipment to bend them accurately and it ain't gonna happen in your garage.
Mikes7 wrote:
G'day Jack,
There's certainly some finishing work required, but the blanks you cut out of the sheet have to be finished as well.
I don't cut out the blanks. I have an outfit with CNC lasers cut out the blanks. Ditto bending them; the same company has CNC benders. Neither I nor they do anything remotely like "finishing," the blanks are finished just the way they come off the laser, and the brackets are finished just the way they come off the bender. My only contributions were the drawings, and buying them in big enough batches that they're fairly...what is the word I'm looking for...oh yeah, Locost.

PostPosted: August 11, 2020, 11:37 am 

Gentlemen, when I put together my metal purchase list, I used the following thread: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4224

If anyone has better/ updated information, I feel like it would greatly benefit those whom are starting out. As a long time lurker with very few posts, I relied heavily on the search function for my information. If any of the FAQ posts could use updating, it may need some attention. It might be better then getting 6-9 different “how much metal should I buy?” posts per year. I know that I am immensely grateful for the plethora of information that all of the experienced members provide newbies like myself, but sometimes is newbies fall victim to out of date information.