LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 21, 2021, 2:30 pm 

davew wrote:
You do not want to have to force tubes into location to fit a pre-cut tube. This just builds a locked stress into the frame.

Not sure why someone would do this. Tack every tube in place before beginning final welding. No need to force anything. If tubes are cut within a few thousandths and you need to force a fitment then you made a mistake somewhere along the way. There will be locked stress after welding is complete, but I would argue that there will be locked stress in virtually any welded structure using ordinary fabrication methods.

TooBusy wrote:
When they want the 3D model, they create cut files for their laser tube cutter. The parts they make will be spot on AND if there are problems in the model, the laser cutter doesn't care, it just does what it's told.
Fitting things up is your problem.

Wouldn’t you say the same thing is true if you cut tubes yourself? If you get it wrong fitting things up is still your problem, correct? Get it right in the model, just as you would in ‘real life’ or you’ll deal with problems later. Being diligent is being diligent, regardless of where at in the process.

KB58 wrote:
Just keep in mind that going this way locks you into whatever size chassis it is. Use different seats, engine, transmission, gas tank, radiator, pedals, etc, potentially means that it won’t fit. Sure, tubes can be cut out, but now it’s starting to moving away from a total solution. After building two cars from scratch, cutting the tubes is a very small part of the puzzle.

Agreed on all counts.

PostPosted: March 21, 2021, 4:06 pm 

Yes it's true that fitting things up is my problem when I cut myself. Just making sure the OP considers this reality. I run across this every single day in the CNC plasma forums where people buy a file, don't look at how it's made, then whine about cutting problems. Agree 100% diligence is diligence.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: March 23, 2021, 1:31 am 

TooBusy wrote:
Yes it's true that fitting things up is my problem when I cut myself. Just making sure the OP considers this reality. I run across this every single day in the CNC plasma forums where people buy a file, don't look at how it's made, then whine about cutting problems. Agree 100% diligence is diligence.
Not to drag the thread too far OT, but are there any CNC forums (plasma or otherwise) that you could recommend? I'm going to try and build my own 4'x4' cnc table, initially for plasma, but hopefully universal enough to also be used with a router, and maybe even eventually with a waterjet and/or laser cutter.

PostPosted: March 23, 2021, 11:06 am 

The fb group cnc plasma table builders is pretty good. You do have to sort through a lot of chaff to get to the wheat, just like most other groups.

If you're planning to build for a router, build for a router right off the bat. You need a lot more rigidity and more powerful motors than needed for plasma.
If you are thinking laser down the line, bite the bullet and build for laser up front. It requires even more rigidity and significantly better stepper motors. Very high acceleration ability required for laser
With high acceleration comes a lot of intertia, thus the need for rigidity.

Plasma I've learned is basically a breeze, With a decent cutter you can run speeds at low as 10 inches per minute compared to most lasers up about 500 ipm.
I run mine 95% of the time at 65-75 ipm and adjust power as needed.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216