LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently June 20, 2021, 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 10:07 am 

There was one vendor but he is gone it appears. Not sure who else does this? I see VR3 in canada could do this potentially, but not clear to me what file we would send them for a quote.

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 10:40 am 

If you find one let me know. I really like Ron's RTZ miata based build and would serious consider another build myself, especially if I did not have to cut my own tube.

Anyone know what the cost was for VR3 to cut and bend the tubes?

ND Club Miata
Nissan Titan Sold
Rubi Wrangler
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13200

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 12:12 pm 

I talked to a steel co here in N Houston & they quoted me for the steel in full lengths. He said to cut to spec would add 2-400 to the cost.
That was just for the steel, no welding or anything.

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 12:57 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

JAMADOR wrote:
I talked to a steel co here in N Houston & they quoted me for the steel in full lengths. He said to cut to spec would add 2-400 to the cost.

I suspect that the above quote is for 90 degree cuts made on a horizontal band saw. If so, the builder would still have to cut each end, so the time savings goes away. In addition, if there's any heat distortion during welding, there's a fair chance that some of the precision cuts will result in tubes being too short.

Now, if the tubes are cut on a laser cutter, that's completely different, though even there, heat distortion can cause precision tubes to not fit.

Last edited by KB58 on March 18, 2021, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 2:17 pm 

I had quoted by a company that has a tube cutting laser.
$2500 for all the bits and pieces. They would all be marked for assembly

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 3:02 pm 

KB58 wrote:
JAMADOR wrote:

I'd bet money though that the above quote is for 90 degree cuts made on a horizontal band saw. If so, the builder would still have to cut each end, so the time savings goes away. In addition, if there's any heat distortion during welding, there's a fair chance that some of the precision cuts will result in tubes being too short.

Now, if the tubes are cut on a laser cutter, that's completely different, though even there, heat distortion can cause precision tubes to not fit.

If I'm remembering the conversation correctly, I had informed him that it was many various angles needed & he said that could be accommodated, but that it would extend the lead time, as he'd need to set a guy aside to make the cuts.
Said they'd need the plans to be able to get it done.

I believe the initial quote was something like $1,400 for the steel alone, then the additional cost to cut-to-spec.

PostPosted: March 17, 2021, 3:16 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
I had quoted by a company that has a tube cutting laser.
$2500 for all the bits and pieces. They would all be marked for assembly

that sounds pretty reasonable.

PostPosted: March 18, 2021, 10:30 am 

I got a long reply from VR3 about what it would take to get a quote from them.

They want three things, copy and paste from email. Do we have any of these available?

Ideally, we require 3 documents to review a tube structure (or components) and submit a proposal.

i) 3D solid body cad file of the tube frame; preferably native Solidworks (*.sldprt file) OR equivalent *.stp

This allows us to review the tube structure for compatibility with our process

ii) PDF file of the assembly drawing with a material list/BOM

Ensure each tube or part is identified with an item number (ie: balloon number)

Create this drawing directly from the 3D model, save as a pdf file

Send us the pdf file version only.

iii) Material list as an excel spreadsheet. Including description, material spec, part no’s, quantities, nominal tube sizes, …

This allows us to quickly understand the scope of supply and generate a specific proposal.

Note that the nominal tube sizes, end notch data and bend data are extracted directly from the 3D model files.

Therefore, it is imperative that this information is complete, accurate and suitable for manufacture.

PostPosted: March 18, 2021, 12:44 pm 

cwhite wrote:
If you find one let me know. I really like Ron's RTZ miata based build and would serious consider another build myself, especially if I did not have to cut my own tube.

Anyone know what the cost was for VR3 to cut and bend the tubes?

VR3 probably still has the CAM files they generated for RTz's order. They might require a release from RTz (possible intellectual property issues) though.

PostPosted: March 18, 2021, 1:21 pm 

DemoMike wrote:
VR3 probably still has the CAM files they generated for RTz's order. They might require a release from RTz (possible intellectual property issues) though.

Since this is a CAR9 thread, I’ve been refraining from posting - apologies if this is out of place. I couldn't say if VR3 has an archive of my files, but I do still have all the files requested/required in merim123's post. I’m fine with making mine available in my build thread. I do have a few mental notes on some subtle aesthetic adjustments that I would make if I could wind back the clock, just been sandbagging as long as possible to see how everything comes together. Anyway, I should probably butt out of this thread. Hit me up in mine if there’s interest.

PostPosted: March 18, 2021, 4:05 pm 

appreciate you jumping in Ron. I actually got the idea when I saw your thread. I sent VR3 an email asking what they would need and he sent me back a very long email of which I extracted what I posted above. Since I don't use Solidworks I have no idea to the level of effort it would take to build such a model and what it would cost if someone did it for me. At one point there was a guy that did precut frame for a few people I think in the early days but that is no more.

PostPosted: March 19, 2021, 12:14 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Just keep in mind that going this way locks you into whatever size chassis it is. Use different seats, engine, transmission, gas tank, radiator, pedals, etc, potentially means that it won’t fit. Sure, tubes can be cut out, but now it’s starting to moving away from a total solution. After building two cars from scratch, cutting the tubes is a very small part of the puzzle.

PostPosted: March 19, 2021, 7:16 am 

It takes some really heavy duty fixturing to be able to weld the tubes at right angle, never less at narrow angles with out the tubes moving during welding. You are much better off cutting each tube as you assemble the frame. This will allow you to make minor fit adjustments in length to compensate for any weld distortion. You do not want to have to force tubes into location to fit a pre-cut tube. This just builds a locked stress into the frame.
Davew

PostPosted: March 19, 2021, 9:52 am 

davew wrote:
It takes some really heavy duty fixturing to be able to weld the tubes at right angle, never less at narrow angles with out the tubes moving during welding. You are much better off cutting each tube as you assemble the frame. This will allow you to make minor fit adjustments in length to compensate for any weld distortion. You do not want to have to force tubes into location to fit a pre-cut tube. This just builds a locked stress into the frame.
Davew

Agree.
When they want the 3D model, they create cut files for their laser tube cutter. The parts they make will be spot on AND if there are problems in the model, the laser cutter doesn't care, it just does what it's told.
Fitting things up is your problem.

Now I will say that when things are designed properly with good fitment and some air gap for the welder to fill, precut kits really shine. The guys I spoke with are a company I dealt with when I was at Dayco. They build all the mobile air conditioning units used on airport jetways in North America. So they build their own trailers. I watched a 20' trailer kit in 4x6x3/16 tube come off their tube laser in under 5 minutes at about 10am. Every part was laser etched with the part number and had alignment tabs and holes. The welder drops guide pins at the right distance into his certiflat weld table and assembles tinker toys, then starts welding. We got back from lunch and that trailer frame was getting axles bolted on.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: March 20, 2021, 9:41 am 

These guys have been selling this for years. I haven’t heard too many complaints in any builds I read up on. My dream of building one of these was shattered when I tried to fit in one and I’m just too tall at 6’3”.

https://www.gtforte.co.uk/chassis-tube- ... t-96-p.asp