LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 3rd party welding?
PostPosted: December 28, 2021, 1:28 pm 

JAMADOR wrote:
Omterry wrote:
little Miller 120v welder I got to build my car is my life’s favorite tool

Did a brief search, looks like the cheapest Miller is just shy of $1k, not including a cart, gas, hood & gloves.

Boy, I'm sorry to hear that. After trying some other welders (Harbor Freight flux core, scratch start TIG from ThermalArc) I bought a Miller 110V MIG welder. It has been 100% bullet proof for 7-8 years.

That said, you can get a small scratch/lift start TIG welder for $300-400 that will do the job for a Locost build. You probably spend another $300 on a helmet, tank and basic tools and welding rod.
Usually at that price they'll be limited to 1/8-3/16 steel (no aluminum), but they'll do all the basics you need. Just get a lot of practice on thin walled steel. Get scrap pieces from a steel supplier in your area and expect to consume a tank of argon or two (and do some tungsten grinding) before you're good enough to tackle your chassis.

Building a welding cart is a good first project. Also, as a second project, I would highly recommend building a rotisserie for your chassis. That allows you to rotate the chassis so that almost every weld is a flat, horizontal weld, which makes things much, much simpler. Out of position welds (vertical, downhill, overhead) require more skill and practice.

I don't follow the welder market day-to-day, but some of the lower cost MIG units from Harbor Freight and others are starting to get pretty good reviews. I don't know what they cost.

Good luck to you,

P.S. Check on welding classes at adult education units of you local high schools, or evening/weekend welding classes on your local community college. It's a good way to start skill building without having to buy a welder.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 28, 2021, 1:45 pm 

Looks like Northern Tool has some Lincoln MIG options for $4-600, Hobart for $6-900, but still need to add in gas & gear.
Harbor Freight, similar prices for Chicago, Titanium & Vulcan brands.

Lincoln & Hobart I recognize the brands, and have a Chicago chop saw that hasn't skipped a beat. I figure I'm not in a rush, so may see about borrowing the MIG from my dad for now.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: December 28, 2021, 2:01 pm 

You can find some good deals for welding equipment on Craigs List. I bought both my Miller 180 Mig (with spool gun) and a Hypertherm plasma cutter from Craigs List sellers for about half the new price. Both in very good condition. Do some research and shop there with care.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: December 29, 2021, 10:06 am 
Always Moore!

A MIG is probably the most useful and versatile tool you're going to get for a Locost build.

I have a Lincoln 140C but sadly it is discontinued. If I had to get another 110 machine, I would go with this Hobart: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200471413

I have heard good things about Yeswelder but have no experience with them: https://yeswelder.com/products/mig-welder-mig205

Several of my friends have that Hobart and they're great. Home Depot also has several "Lincoln" machines but they're the watered down versions with cheaper everything and both wire speed and voltage adjustments are tapped. You really want atleast one to be infinitely adjustable.

I'm sure there are still some of the $100 MIGs HF used to sell floating around eBay under random names but let's be honest about them - they're pretty terrible welders. For a second I questioned getting a good machine then I used one of these $100 machines. Definitely money well spent.

PostPosted: December 29, 2021, 10:17 am 

I will strongly endorse what Andrew said above. This is one of your most fundamental tools building a Locost. Get a good one.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 29, 2021, 11:40 am 

a.moore wrote:
A MIG is probably the most useful and versatile tool you're going to get for a Locost build.

I have a Lincoln 140C but sadly it is discontinued. If I had to get another 110 machine, I would go with this Hobart: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200471413

I have heard good things about Yeswelder but have no experience with them: https://yeswelder.com/products/mig-welder-mig205

Several of my friends have that Hobart and they're great. Home Depot also has several "Lincoln" machines but they're the watered down versions with cheaper everything and both wire speed and voltage adjustments are tapped. You really want atleast one to be infinitely adjustable.

I'm sure there are still some of the $100 MIGs HF used to sell floating around eBay under random names but let's be honest about them - they're pretty terrible welders. For a second I questioned getting a good machine then I used one of these $100 machines. Definitely money well spent.

I have an old SIP 120V welder I bought from COMB (liquidators) 20+ years ago. It is the same model as Ron Champion used in his book. Yeah, it is that old. I have upgraded the gun to a longer cabled euro gun over the years. I also had to clean out the push button switches from all the grinding dust once or twice. Beyond that, it has been pretty good to me.

For fun, I just went to the Lincoln welder site and all of the 140 models (there are 4) show a 4-step voltage and variable speed wire feed in all of their schematics. I would assume that the Weld-Pak® 140HD, MIG-Pak® 140, Easy-MIG® 140, and PRO MIG® 140 models have the same features as far as the data sheets are concerned.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 29, 2021, 11:57 am 

I got a good deal on a Miller MIG welder (Miller-Matic 140) with tank, some supplies and a helmet from a local pawn shop. Paid $500 for the lot.
The welder was used, but in great shape and in the original box, so PO seemed to take good care of it.
I always wonder what drives people to pawn stuff like that, but some good stuff goes through the local shops if you keep an eye out.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Miller, I've used other 110V MIG's, and this to me is a step better than the others I've used. It is an "old school" copper transformer machine, not an inverter machine, so it weighs about 50 lbs, not sure if that is the difference in how it runs, or if I've just gotten more used to it than the others I've used.

PostPosted: December 30, 2021, 5:52 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I bought this one a few years ago. It's been great. Currently $230 on sale.

https://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110 ... utput.html

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 1, 2022, 1:07 pm 
Always Moore!

rx7locost wrote:
For fun, I just went to the Lincoln welder site and all of the 140 models (there are 4) show a 4-step voltage and variable speed wire feed in all of their schematics. I would assume that the Weld-Pak® 140HD, MIG-Pak® 140, Easy-MIG® 140, and PRO MIG® 140 models have the same features as far as the data sheets are concerned.

Good find. I'm a bit surprised they don't advertise it more. I never understood why they went that cheap in the past but nice to see that improvement.

PostPosted: January 4, 2022, 7:53 pm 

I have picked up a Lincoln LE31MP from CL brand new for $600.
Unfortunately it is still brand new, since I haven't started yet. I don't even know how to weld yet, but I have already purchased everything that I need.

duratec7, do you have a build log? I'm trying to go that route as well. Ford 2.5L(really want the 2.0L ecoboost though), Mazda NC 6 speed trans, etc.....

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: January 5, 2022, 12:44 pm 

Ove the Christmas & new years break, found that my dad's MIG is an older MAC Tools branded Miller 140 & needs a new gun.
:shock: New Miller MIG gun is almost 50% the price of the machine, assuming I'm looking at the right model. I think he said it only needs a new trigger, not sure if that's a serviceable part, or if the whole gun needs replaced.

Added an angle grinder to my tool supply yesterday, so I should be able to prep that bits that need removed & modified, and source/size the steel needed to finish the RR suspension area.

PostPosted: January 5, 2022, 2:40 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Tweeco is a common mig gun maker so parts like the microswitch trigger are easy to come by. I would expect a miller gun would be serviceable.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 5, 2022, 2:48 pm 

:cheers:
Thanks, good to know.

PostPosted: January 6, 2022, 11:07 am 

I use a Lincoln 210MP now but you don't need all that. I also have HF welders, I can't knock HF welders. I can say their hoods are junk. I got a backup Hobart hood at tractor supply for like $80 that's pretty nice. Take a look at Eastwood welders. A cart is a nice beginner project but that adds space your worried about, today inverter welders are smaller and can just be put on a shelf when not used. The bottle can be a bear but at least us skinny. Most of those welders will also let you run Fluxcore wire where you don't need a bottle, con is it spatters so more clean up, but pro they can usually penetrate better when near thickness limit and can be used on dirty metal even outdoors.

PostPosted: January 6, 2022, 11:51 am 

terryjr wrote:
I use a Lincoln 210MP now but you don't need all that. I also have HF welders, I can't knock HF welders. I can say their hoods are junk. I got a backup Hobart hood at tractor supply for like $80 that's pretty nice. Take a look at Eastwood welders. A cart is a nice beginner project but that adds space your worried about, today inverter welders are smaller and can just be put on a shelf when not used. The bottle can be a bear but at least us skinny. Most of those welders will also let you run Fluxcore wire where you don't need a bottle, con is it spatters so more clean up, but pro they can usually penetrate better when near thickness limit and can be used on dirty metal even outdoors.

I had though about Fluxcore, but had seem some recommendations against it.
Like I'd posted, I've got access to a MIG (needs MIG gun repair), Flux, & Stick via my dad.