LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 26, 2024, 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Washing my steel
PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 6:31 pm 
-the man.

I've done some fabricating in the past but I never saw steel as nasty as the batch I just got. I started building my table today and I feel like an oil field roust-about.

I think I'm taking it to the car wash and giving it a good wash and then a light coat of something, I don't know what. I don't want to spend my entire build being that filthy. I've seen some of the cars in the build log and the steel is shiny clean. Maybe I'm getting the wrong stuff.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 7:46 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Does it have a slightly rough surface, dark, with a scale you have to grind off to get to shiny metal? If so, that's hot-rolled material. It'll work fine, but I found it bitch to grind clean. It's like the oil they soak it in get into the material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 8:28 pm 
I used a solvent/degreaser on mine, on each piece as I prepared to weld it into place - I didn't want to invite the dreaded rust virus into my steel supply. I don't think I'd wash it...once the water gets inside the tubes, it'll rust VERY fast, and it's almost impossible to get it out of square tube... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 9:09 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Ditto on not washing it. My metal stayed fairly shiny, up until we got a real heavy rain which put a puddle of water in the garage. Within days my entire chassis was covered in rust.

Water = bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 9:26 pm 

The local metal depot in town only seems to carry hotrolled stuff. I take a rag to it when I get home. Its a BI*** to prep for welding. Nothing short of a grinder seems to do it. But I'd rather that than deal/worry about rust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 7:29 am 

It can be pretty nasty. I soaked a rag with WD-40 and wiped everything down. That works to clean it up, but you need to use some sort of degreaser on any areas you intend to weld or paint. If there is scale, it should be ground or sanded off before welding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 8:26 am 

As a rust prevent, motorcycle chain lube is a good solution. You can find it anywhere (carquest and others), in small quantities (dont have to buy 5 gallons at a time), is waxy and dries (still alittle messy but not wet like oils), and comes off easily with solvent for welding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 8:58 am 
-the man.

Has anyone found a good non-flammable solvent? Being a retired Firefighter I've seen my share of garage parts cleaning accidents. Diesel isn't too bad but you have to take care with the rags. And you will generate quite a few if you have to wipe everything down.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 9:04 am 

MustangSix wrote:
It can be pretty nasty. I soaked a rag with WD-40 and wiped everything down. That works to clean it up, but you need to use some sort of degreaser on any areas you intend to weld or paint. If there is scale, it should be ground or sanded off before welding.

This is what I did, but I never degreased anything till it was time to paint. After a week or so the WD40 seemed to have evaporated completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 9:50 am 

RacerDan wrote:
Has anyone found a good non-flammable solvent? Being a retired Firefighter I've seen my share of garage parts cleaning accidents. Diesel isn't too bad but you have to take care with the rags. And you will generate quite a few if you have to wipe everything down.

Simple green works pretty well. You could also go to the hardware or paint store and get some TSP (tri-sodium phosphate). Another one is the Purple Stuff, but it can be tough on skin and aluminum. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 10:08 am 

I used water and 3-in-1 shaken up in a spray bottle. That kept my sheet steel nice and clean, whereas my tubing got surface rust all the time.

I first saw that when shooting a 1919 shorty... after a 250 or 500-rd belt, the guy would spray the barrel with a squirt bottle filled with water and oil. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 10:11 am 
Lumbering Giant

Probably wouldn't take long, or be much of a risk, to take it all outside and wipe it down with mineral spirits.

I wonder if there's any upside to hot rolled steel for car-building purposes, such as less tendency to crack, or less warping in welding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 10:13 am 

SteyrTMP wrote:
I used water and 3-in-1 shaken up in a spray bottle. That kept my sheet steel nice and clean, whereas my tubing got surface rust all the time.

I first saw that when shooting a 1919 shorty... after a 250 or 500-rd belt, the guy would spray the barrel with a squirt bottle filled with water and oil. :)

With the pickup on the bottom (like most squirting devices) wouldn't it just squirt water? Maybe he added some sort of emulsifier. (a drop of dishwashing detergent or something?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 10:17 am 

No, if you shake it up well right before spraying, it "mixes" enough to spray both water and oil on the material. No guarantees on heavier oils--3-in-1 is a rather light oil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 12:39 pm 
The voice of reason

I like the LPS stuff for shop use, because it comes in three grades, so you sort of know what to use for what. I think you can get it in spray bottles and gallon containers from the mail order places.

LPS-1 is a dry lubricant and dryer of some type,
LPS-2 is a light oil and will prevent rust for a little while,
LPS-3 is heavier oil with a wax part and will prevent rust for a year or more.

It's good stuff and you can have just what you need, when you keep all three...

I think WD-40 is basically just kerosene. SO it doesn't really do any of these jobs very well.