LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 12:22 pm 

thats COOOL! :D
PooK

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 1:21 pm 
The voice of reason

conceptzrqt, interesting model. I wonder too about widening the top frame rail thru the cockpit and how that would look if the sheet metal angled out to match.

Instead of dual tubes, you might consider a compromise of using 1"x2" rectangular section thru there. Too really get a benefit from the second tube, you need some cross bracing or shear web.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 2:44 pm 

Horizonjob, I think the doubler was added for more aesthetics rather than to add strength, so I don't think the shear web/diag would be necessary in this case.

Conceptzrqt it probably wouldn't hurt to also replace that 1 vertical support on the nose with either a diagonal brace or V brace and add some more diagonals to the upper front section.

You might also look at adding some diagonal bracing to the rear bulkhead. Right now I think you'd find that there would be a lot of twist in the chassis because of the lack of support there.

Just my 2 cents...not that you asked for it... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 4:35 pm 

If your interested in modeling it in a CAD program I might have access to Solid Works. PM me for more details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 2:54 am 
This is something I have been debating for some time. I believe I have convinced myself to build a 1:1 model out of some junk C channel I have laying around to determine component fitment and twist then replace the tub section complete with cage followed by front and rear of the frame. I hate redos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 12:36 pm 

Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback. I am glad everyone likes my stuff. I do want to say a few things…it is not done and I see what most of you mean with your feed back…it is noted. I want to revisit this at some point in the future.
Now…let me tell you what it is. I started this in my last year of college, it was part of my senior project. It is actually a 3wheeler with a twist. I wanted to try and make enough room so I could mount a motorcycle motor in the front or in the back. I never got that far with it and stopped when I had another idea that took off; Lo-T3k. My Lo-T3k idea took over from there and it evolved into an actual build. Anyway…my ADD kicking in again….I wanted to play around with ideas I have of the Front Motor FWD, Front Motor RWD, Rear Motor RWD. So the frame never got finished. I got everything you see in 3D but again that is where it stopped.

I just thought you might want to know why it looked different and why some things are the way they are.

Thanks
Todd