LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Which chassis size you are most likely to use, or are using?
Book chassis 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
McSorley 7 +4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
McSorley 7 +442 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
Book Chassis with Aussie mods for stiffening 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
McSorley 7 +4 with Aussie mods for stiffening 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
McSorley 7 +442 with Aussie mods for stiffening 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Book Chassis +2 width in frame not nose 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I'll need a completely custom chassis too. 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: March 5, 2006, 7:52 pm 
Hello Locosters,
I wanted to find out which chassis size you are most likely to use, or are using?
My plan is to build a chassis for practice using any of the excellent designs from McSorley, and hopefully sell it on ebay once it is complete to help fund my build. I do not plan on building these things as a side business, I just want to build build a "standard" design before doing the numerous custom things I have planned for my own build. For me metal fabrication is the easy part, it's all of the automotive stuff that I don't have a lot of experience with.

Thanks for the input,

Eric
Locostmonkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2006, 9:01 pm 
Mcsorely 442 + Mods

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2006, 9:11 pm 

bog standard book. maybe with the mods

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5, 2006, 10:09 pm 
book chassis with mods, I wish I would have added 2 - 4 inches to the rear area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6, 2006, 2:52 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

McSolrely $$@...442...not sure I will need it but I am clostrophobic (and a bad speller)

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6, 2006, 10:22 am 
derf wrote:
book chassis with mods, I wish I would have added 2 - 4 inches to the rear area.

Just curious why you feel like that. All of us are flying blind here unless we have experience with an actual Lotus or Caterham (which I am guessing most don't) and we can't really visualize size until we have a chassis under construction. So.... Derf, expand on why you feel like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6, 2006, 11:51 am 
Yes I would like to elaborate, let me start by showing the picture of my trunk area. I built my chassis to book specs.

My panhard bar is as close as I care to have it to the axle as it sits. Between tube Y and V is the max area that the gas tank can sit. There are alot more commercially available fuel cells available if I add 4 inches to the rear end. I also plan to make a trunk storage area above the gas tank and the axle. Also to get my rear out of the car I have to remove the a drum brake to get past 2 round tubes going from y up to the 4"square plates. I could have just put my fuel cell above the axle like CMC did, but that would create dead space behind the axle, and raise the CG, and I would loose any chance of storage space. I also still have to add more to my roll bar (2 supports toing to the side plates and an X brace between them).

I've been working on a gas tank (I have it made out of cardboard so far, just need to fabricate the metal tank now). to fit the space.

PostPosted: March 6, 2006, 8:39 pm 
Locostmonkey wrote:
Hello Locosters,
For me metal fabrication is the easy part, it's all of the automotive stuff that I don't have a lot of experience with.

Eric
Locostmonkey

The fabrication/welding is the hard part for me. All the automotive, chassis engineering, & electrical comes relatively easy for me....wanna' trade? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9, 2006, 5:51 pm 
Well after 5 days without my cable modem I'm back. Looks like the clear winner for chassis votes is nobody. No concensus - Dang. Perhaps if we continue to get input a winner will emerge.

We did get a nice picture from Derf though. Just to be clear Derf, you are saying you wish you had added 4" in length not width correct?

Pete Gossett - send me a message if you'd like to talk about me building your chassis -

Thanks for the input so far everyone.

Eric
Locostmonkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10, 2006, 3:50 am 
I plan to mostly follow the aussi mod chassis. The car will be mostly a street car. What I plan is lower rails 1.5 14 gauge, generaly all other tubes will be 1.25 16 gauge, the floor/firewall front & rear/tunnel sides and top past the shifter will be 16 gauge steel, the sides will be 20 or 22 gauge steel, the tub area will have a light coat of Linex inside and out to add support and rustproof. the entire length of the chassis will be widened by 4 to 6 the length probably +6 and heighth +2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10, 2006, 11:01 am 
2-4 inches to the trunk

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12, 2006, 5:33 am 
derf
Why don't you move the panhard to just infront of the axle? The panhard should be paralell with the centerline of the axle at rest. If you do that and slightly redo the rear It looks like you could fit a Jeep YJ Polly tank. I plan to use a mumford link and possibly a bit of the added length will be to insure that the Jeep tank fits, 15 gal and I have one.