LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tube size??
PostPosted: August 22, 2005, 5:58 pm 
hi, im planning on building a locost, with a 4.3 liter chevy v6 and a 5 speed trans(just bought the trans for $30 today), and using the s10 donor's rear axle as well. My question is: What size square tube do most people use with an engine around this size? i know the mcsorley plans that i have say to use 1"x1" square 1/16" wall but this seems like it would be a little weak for this engine. i just want to be sure i will have a chassis that will hold up well with my driving(heavy foot). also, do the mcsorley +4" plans correct the errors that are in "the book"? any input, suggestions, and pics of chassis is appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 22, 2005, 6:04 pm 

all the McSorely plans correct the book errors in the front suspension tubes. You might want to check out the Stalker seveneque which uses S10 parts - it uses 1.5" tubing. I'm sure you could borrow some of the ideas.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/stalkerv6/

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 22, 2005, 6:15 pm 
yea, i have checked out the stalker, and by the way, the website says "The main tubes of the "space frame " chassis,are 1 1/4" sq. tube and the bracing, a blend of 1" and 3/4" sq tube, and 1" round tube" but i was unable to find a wall thickness. if all works out right i want my cat to look almost exactly like the stalker, that is an amazing piece of work.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 22, 2005, 6:16 pm 
But are they using the 1.5" tube because their frame design needs it or because they're putting out serious enough HP to require it? It looks like their design handles more HP than I'd ever use. I'm planning to use the same S10 V6, and will at least add some additional bracing for chassis stiffness, but as of now I still plan to use the standard tube size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 22, 2005, 6:18 pm 

check out the Grassroots Motorsports board - http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/ - there are a couple of Stalker owners there who may be able to comment further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 7:34 am 
FYI...the Stalker contains NO 1.5" tube......I have been in the 275HP demo car and it exhibits NO noticable signs of lack of stiffness or integrity in any way......I'm sure actual owners will confirm..

And yes, I agree it is an amazing piece of work......:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 8:01 am 
I finally put 2+2 together on your other post on the same issue. Some day I may actually remember stuff after I read it! I have no idea where I came up with 1.5" from the previous post's 1.25, either. Either way, that is a hell of a nice car he's got! It gives me a good target to aim for when building mine, although I doubt I'll ever have that kind of power. Did somebody have to slap the smile off your face after the test ride? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 8:34 am 
Still got the smile.....:D:D:D:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 9:23 am 
How about a new message thread for the car you're building? I've seen bits & pieces about it on other boards and visited your website, and would like to know more - especially about making the body/plug, as I'm interested in trying that for my upcoming Locost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 9:46 am 
Works for me..up to the mods I guess....?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 10:15 am 
I haven't abused my power (yet) as a moderator. :) Although some may feel it is beginning boarder on advertising for your car, I personally think many of us can learn from what you're doing, the same way they may learn from the Hummer style trucks I've built. However, it's not my website and I don't have the final say. Locost/Grassroots/ShadeTree/HomeBuilt, etc., I'm here to learn!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 10:38 am 
the JoKeR wrote:
I haven't abused my power (yet) as a moderator. :) Although some may feel it is beginning boarder on advertising for your car, I personally think many of us can learn from what you're doing, the same way they may learn from the Hummer style trucks I've built. However, it's not my website and I don't have the final say. Locost/Grassroots/ShadeTree/HomeBuilt, etc., I'm here to learn!

Advertising...LOL....what?...if anyone remotely feels that way I'll post no more....sure in a few years time I may have something saleable, but until then it's just been a free sharing of my experiences......:D:D:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 11:18 am 
Don't get me wrong - I only used that word because it's been asked of me in the past since I use my website and "company" name in my signature. Some people get weird on that kind of stuff and want to keep anything remotely "commercial" completely seperate from everybody else. Far as I'm concerned, as long as I know a person is representing Brand XYZ, there is no reason to exclude or keep 'em separate. I sort-of represent one specific line of Hummer style trucks on the other boards I'm a member of, everybody knows it, and as long as my views are at least occasionally valid and/or lucid, all is well. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 9:24 pm 
the JoKeR wrote:
How about a new message thread for the car you're building? I've seen bits & pieces about it on other boards and visited your website, and would like to know more - especially about making the body/plug, as I'm interested in trying that for my upcoming Locost.

Yeah Meerkat, how about some details in the builder log section? I know I'm all ears . . . err, eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24, 2005, 10:20 am 
Will do......perhaps at a quieter time later in the day....:D