LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 12, 2024, 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Locost idea
PostPosted: September 4, 2005, 8:09 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=30931

Can I have an opinion on this chasis?

I was looking at a way to improve the areodynamics and incorporate the roll bar into the frame. Any suggestions or criticisms?

The idea is to have a slopping windscreen, removalable roof panel, made with 1.5 inch or 2.0 inch tubing or RHS. The roorf/roll bar ties into the frame and the windsheild bolts/ is afixed to that.

I have heard that the curved tubing loses strenght so instead od tear drop the could be straight peices. The front A-pillar is where the windscreen would be, the B-pillar would tie into the bottom rail, the C-pilar at the back of the driver compartment would add Strenght and tie into the bottom fram rail, and the D-pilar would tie into the back part of the frame.

All of the internal tranny tunnel would be similar. Extra bracing or gusting could be added for strengeth.

[Mod Edit: The image link was cut out as the other forum's way of displaying images would not allow for our forum to "leach" the image. Please visit the post in the above URL to view the image under discussion. Thank you]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5, 2005, 8:47 am 
I am designing a model similar to this. My intention is to have the sloping windshield, non-removable hard top, and a sloping back pannel.

The major difference in your design vs. the one that I'm developing is in the rear section. My bars will not curve like yours.

The locost that I am currently designing will look something like the image above. Instead of the soft top, mine will be a hard top. Also, if you look at the two snaps above the rear wheel and go up to where the roll bar is and imagine a line going right down to the end of the car (as opposed to the way that this car slopes slightly and then goes down), that is what mine will sort of look like. (Well, that is if I am able to get all of the design finished the way that I need it to be done for my electric requirements).

I've sketched my idea based on the car above. You will notice that the motor area has been shortened, the rear lengthened, different back tires, and the type of hard top and back that I'm going for.

Last edited by DMCunningham on September 5, 2005, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5, 2005, 10:14 am 
So you are planning to modify the structure of the vehicle to add the roll bar/windscreen/roof into one full assembly? By that I mean the main framework and design as shown by the Book. Or are you doing a complete re-design?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5, 2005, 6:32 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

I hadn't thought about it before posting but it does bare resembalance to a sand rail as some others have already mentioned.

I am not married to any particular design. I would like to modify the orginal design, adding strenght, modifying comcepts, and making a "locost" a little different . I am not too proud that if people in the forum pointed out weaknesses, design flaws, or just plain damned uglyness, that I would get my feelings hurt, with the number of seven concepts and car concepts I want to take the best of what is available and use it. I am still on my first build but would strongly consider it, or a variant of it, for a second build.

While the spirit of the seven is there at the core, there are some differences. The same could be said for the frame very similar a little stronger and a roof/roll bar to add extra strenght. The lines of the frame is very similar to the book frame with the acception of the Roof line roll bar and wider tubing.

The front suspension and the rear suspension are largely unchanged. The same engine space as a McSorely +442. I would like to see the final design kept below 1500lbs (in california if your car is below 1500lbs you don't need fenders...weird law, huh?)

One of the reasons for the dzus fitted roof panel is to add security if I park it at the mall or drive it to work and know that is should be there when I return (realtively unmolested). I want more than just a "drive it on Sunday car".

To err is human...
I am more human than most.