LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 11, 2024, 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 13, 2014, 9:26 am 

Horsepower is a mathematical expression conjured up by tractor salesmen to sell stuff to farmers.

My 4.7 (04 Dakota) has lifter problems and keeps burning the exhaust manifolds off the motor (seems like they are still excessively retarding spark at high throttle angles).

What are you going to run it on (I dont recommend the OEM PCM, crappy strategy)(although I'm told you can get into them, Diablo?)

Last edited by Bent Wrench on February 13, 2014, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 13, 2014, 10:13 am 

Torque is force, horsepower is torque over time basically. ..

Isn't it funny I've known that for ever but never the formula. :oops:
Sorry for the hijack. Now back to your regular scheduled comments.

PostPosted: February 20, 2014, 1:19 am 

Bent Wrench wrote:
Horsepower is a mathematical expression conjured up by tractor salesmen to sell stuff to farmers.

My 4.7 (04 Dakota) has lifter problems and keeps burning the exhaust manifolds off the motor (seems like they are still excessively retarding spark at high throttle angles).

What are you going to run it on (I dont recommend the OEM PCM, crappy strategy)(although I'm told you can get into them, Diablo?)

Honestly, i got my Jeep dirt cheap because the engine would stall for no reason. Very common problem with the grand cherokee. So i replaced the pcm, crank position sensor, cam position sensor and a few other things to no avail. So in short i plan to convert to carb and run a msd dis controller, no pcm/ecu no problem i hope.

I'm wondering if i can make the locost awd if i convert to a manual transmission, to delete the Trans control unit.

PostPosted: February 20, 2014, 2:06 am 
The voice of reason

Sorry to keep going on about horsepower.

Quote:

I think it was a steam engine salesman named James Watt. He figures a horse could do about 33,000 ft-kb/min of work. It seems he started his experiments with a png and then figured a horse could do %50 more. He may have been an early locater! This was in the late 1700's.

So the 5252 is I think 33,000 ft-kb/min rounded off a bit, but I didn't check.

Notice that the man who came up with this is named "Watt" and that is now the standard measure of power in the world. A Horsepower is about 750 watts ( well about 735 watts in metric, but I can remember 750 without looking it up ).

PostPosted: February 20, 2014, 2:08 am 
The voice of reason

BTW, from your measurements that Jeep engine is quite large. Much larger than a Ford 302. If you an get the Jeep driving, just pick up a smaller engine from a junkyard and go for it.

PostPosted: February 20, 2014, 3:02 am 

horizenjob wrote:
BTW, from your measurements that Jeep engine is quite large. Much larger than a Ford 302. If you an get the Jeep driving, just pick up a smaller engine from a junkyard and go for it.

That is funny you mention the 302 as i have a modded 1990 mustang 5.0 that i have considered building the locost from.

PostPosted: February 20, 2014, 4:59 am 

Staright Sixes have to be big and strong to support themselves as they are so long but they are cheap to make, can be made in any size and have great balance so manufacturers love them. Cars need lighter engines these days so they are becoming extinct, take Benz and BMW for example but in trucks where the weight isn't such an issue they are still made in considerable sizes and quantities.

I love them, using a Toyota 2JZ straight six myself but there are certainly better options out there.

PostPosted: February 20, 2014, 8:19 am 

cheapracer wrote:
Staright Sixes...

Cheap, they're talking about the chryco/jeep 4.7 V8 engine, not the 4.0 six banger.

But, I agree, straight engines are the bomb. I wanted to take the M20 out of my son's E30 (for a T-bucket, heh), but alas, he totalled it (he's okay) new years, and its gone to the boneyard.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: February 20, 2014, 8:44 am 

DURATEC V6 DOHC Is my choice of power. Get the Lincoln Jag or Mazda version with the bucket lifters.
Both the Jag and Lincoln have a RWD manual trans version Getrag 221.
Get rid of the dual mass flywheel and get a conventional flywheel from a 2.5L Contour or aluminum Fidenza.

The other motors can be had cheap in the wrecking yard as the auto trans costs more than the cars value to fix.
And since the motors don't fail the yards can't sell them.

No ikky carb, EFI baby MegaSquirt MS2.

PostPosted: February 20, 2014, 9:40 am 

robbovius wrote:
cheapracer wrote:
Staright Sixes...

Cheap, they're talking about the chryco/jeep 4.7 V8 engine,

I knew that.

:oops: :mrgreen: :lol:

Bent Wrench wrote:
DURATEC V6 DOHC Is my choice of power. .

Every single thing about a V6 is perfection - except for one thing, they sound like crap and what a shame that is.

PostPosted: February 22, 2014, 5:23 pm 

This is my other Donor option.

I think the wheels will look amazing on a locost.

PostPosted: February 24, 2014, 5:33 pm 

If you decide to use the 'Stang, Rod's and Maxlessca's builds would be great builds to follow! And you'd have everything you need in one donor!

PostPosted: March 5, 2014, 7:08 pm 

I had an idea about using the Jeep awd system. If i make the locost frame taller to accommodate the transfer case,i could make a false floor in the passenger area so that it doesn't take away from the passenger seating and leg room. Sorry for the run on sentences but I'm on a cell phone and excited at the awd prospect. I will do a 'napkin' sketch and upload it later to make this more understandable
lImage

PostPosted: March 8, 2014, 11:29 pm 

Any input?

PostPosted: March 9, 2014, 2:20 am 

As a Jeep guy, this sounds interesting. I've had this idea in the back of my mind to make a light-er offroad front engine Jeep based vehicle. Kind of a cross between a locost, sandrail and a DPV. I don't really care for the VW rear engine, not to mention they are hard to find due to the beetle / buggy crowd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Patrol_Vehicle