LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmission ideas?
PostPosted: August 1, 2021, 2:07 pm 

Looking for feedback on transmission options for a traditional style 7 build. My gf and I want to build a 7(GBS Zero) here in SoCal and then ship it to the UK for a 2 week road trip in the future. If we can visit race tracks as well that would be even better.

It seems like the typical combo now days would be a 2.5L Duratec and an NC miata trans. I really like this combo but part of my would prefer the powerband of a turbocharged engine and I'm considering the Honda L15b7 due to its compact size and powerband. Plus the noises it makes are fun. Options for transmission seem like NC miata, Honda S2000, BMW ZF from 90's 3 series, ecoboost mustang. Probably missing alot but these seem lighter weight and possibly able to handle the L15's powerband when turned up a little.

Curious what transmissions I might be leaving out or not thinking about. I see lots of opinions when googling but usually it's just anecdotal stuff.

Thanks,
Grant

Post subject: Re: Transmission ideas?
PostPosted: August 1, 2021, 5:04 pm 

WHat's wrong with boosting a Duratec?

PostPosted: August 1, 2021, 5:49 pm 

That's a good point. I could boost any of the 2.0l to 2.5L engines. I actually have a handful of the 2.5l fusion engines them I'm using as water pumps for a side business. The Duratec is not out of the question yet.

I have an EcoBoost Mustang that I daily drive and I just feel like it already makes as much power as I'd ever want in a 7 and it would probably fill the engine bay to a point where there would be some compromises. Also the Duratec resources here in the states have left a bad taste. How about waiting 6mo for something off the shelf that still didn't fit(I think some people will know who I'm talking about lol).

The Honda seems like an even smaller/compact/weight solution and the engine tuning options seem more mature. Plus I like the way the Honda sounds and so many of my friends are in the "Honda world" so that would be a plus. There is also the hope that if I can create an integrated bellhousing/trans case I can consider parts of this project a business expense.

I believe I will be going with the Mazda GBS kit so if I run into any big blockers it should be pretty straightforward to revert back to the tried and true route.

-Grant

PostPosted: August 2, 2021, 1:14 pm 

You spoke of weight, are you doing a book chassis or a 442?
A boosted 1.6-1.8L will provide the best power to weight.

The ECOTECs might need to be looked at many of the guys doing autoX have landed there.
I believe this motor is lighter and smaller than a Duratec.
That also may open the transmission choice door a little farther.

PostPosted: September 2, 2021, 3:10 am 

Did you end up choosing something?
I'm in the same boat as you.
I'm in Socal as well and I'm starting a build as well, only not a kit as you.

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: September 3, 2021, 9:42 am 

If you go with the Mazda GBS kit it's set up for an NA/NB engine/gearbox/diff not the NC. These can easily be turbocharged up to ~250hp or so before the bottom ends are upset. In a car as light as a Zero that's going to be far quicker than a stock Ecoboost Mustang. GBS's regular kit is set up for the Duratec/MZR, so if you want that drivetrain that's the kit I'd get and just buy a diff/driveshaft/halfshafts from them. If you really want the Honda engine, I'd just build a chassis of your own.

'12 GTI - Daily
'01 Chevy Cargo Van - Workhorse parts hauler