LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Miata differential cover
PostPosted: March 7, 2022, 10:06 am 

Most of us using the vodou and saturn plans as reference for frame building are familiar with the changes to the rear suspension, to accomodate the batwing/moustache bar rear cover of the miata differential, specifically the 7" 1.8 variety. Well i have a solution that gets rid of that nonsense and allows you to build the rear diff cage per haynes book.

There used to be a guy in the uk making covers that replaced the miata cover with one he fabbed up that had a square bolt pattern on it to mount to a book diff cage with some mounting ears. His name is phil eagle and he ran talon motorsports. He no longer does sny locost related work. I have an alternate sution, tho.

The s2000 diff case fits perfectly on the miata diff. It also gives you 4 convenient holes for mounting it solid to the frame.

The next post will have photos, as my phone isnt cooperating with the photo uploader on here

PostPosted: March 7, 2022, 10:07 am 

https://imgur.com/gallery/3Dl0tQe

PostPosted: March 7, 2022, 10:09 am 

Heres what talon did for the front diff mount. Basically bolts to where the sierra diff mount on the pass side went

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 7, 2022, 5:45 pm 

flyguyeddy wrote:
Most of us using the vodou and saturn plans as reference for frame building are familiar with the changes to the rear suspension, to accomodate the batwing/moustache bar rear cover of the miata differential, specifically the 7" 1.8 variety. Well i have a solution that gets rid of that nonsense and allows you to build the rear diff cage per haynes book.

There used to be a guy in the uk making covers that replaced the miata cover with one he fabbed up that had a square bolt pattern on it to mount to a book diff cage with some mounting ears. His name is phil eagle and he ran talon motorsports. He no longer does sny locost related work. I have an alternate sution, tho.

The s2000 diff case fits perfectly on the miata diff. It also gives you 4 convenient holes for mounting it solid to the frame.

The next post will have photos, as my phone isnt cooperating with the photo uploader on here

And the 1.8 Miata axles work with this cover? What about axle seals?

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: March 7, 2022, 6:03 pm 

Seals appear to be the same, guy who does these in florida says they are the same.