LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ZETEC T5 HOW-TO/FAQ
PostPosted: October 18, 2007, 6:31 pm 
Databases fear me

Here it is, the much anticipated Faq.
this is where we'll collect the answers to match this Engine and trans.
Moderators feel free to modify this post with any pertinent information

Clutch Assembly:
Use stock M/T Zetec flywheel and pressure plate, pair with 2.3L Mustang clutch disc.

Pilot Bearing:
HK15202RS

Bell Housing:

there are several significan differences between the Zetec and Ford T5 bellhousings
most significant of these is starter location and the topmost bolt holes.

there are two alignment dowls that corrospond between the two, this is your place to start if you are going to modify one to fit.

Quads for Rods sells a custom bellhouse that takes care of all this, however does not make provision for clutch actuation.

these are the basics of this conversion. If you have any further additions or pertinent questions , please post them here, I'll add anything of value to the main post.

Steve

Last edited by violentblue on June 16, 2008, 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23, 2007, 3:37 am 

The QfR bell uses hydraulic actuation (MUCH better in my opinion for a LC) however, I think you have to use a GM T5 in order to find a hydraulic T/O bearing. There are still tests going on for this with other LCers to find an alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16, 2008, 9:51 pm 
Databases fear me

updated pilot bearing with part number finally

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 3, 2008, 1:08 pm 

violentblue wrote:
updated pilot bearing with part number finally

so, is this a ford # or something else? and what sort of mods need to be done to it to make it work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 25, 2008, 11:33 pm 
Databases fear me

72mgbgt wrote:
so, is this a ford # or something else? and what sort of mods need to be done to it to make it work?

sorry for the late response.
it is a HKS bearing number, not a stock ford part
find your local bearing shop and they'll be able to order it in for you
no modifications needed, will press into your stock flywheel and accept your T5 pilot shaft.

Post subject: Re: ZETEC T5 HOW-TO/FAQ
PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 1:10 pm 

Which T5 does the pilot bearing fit? The 2.3L T5 has a smaller pilot snout than the 5.0L T5.

PostPosted: September 30, 2009, 8:02 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

That is the bearing to use with the 2.3L T5. The 5.0L Ford v8 version has a .680" pilot bearing ID.

THe 2.3L T5 input shaft is also longer than the v8 version, but that can be trimmed slightly with a grinder if there isn't sufficient crankshaft end play.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 6:58 pm 

Another option for the T5 to Zetec bellhousing. Even factoring in shipping from England, much cheaper than the Quads4Rods bell:

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/bellhousings/pinto-or-cosworth-to-borg-warner-t5-bellhousing/prod_15.html

The pilot bearing shaft on the 4 cylinder T5 is 0.59". I wonder what the ID and depth of the crankshaft pilot hole is? Knowing that I bet one could get a couple samples from NAPA and measure them.

-Steve

PostPosted: November 6, 2009, 12:05 pm 

Did you get a quote for shipping from the website?

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 1:50 pm 

RossD wrote:

Hi

I am Ian from RWD Motorsport (must get my username changed).

Don't mean to be commercial on my first post but, to answer your question, the shipping to the USA would be around £60 - £65, which is around $85 at current exchange rates. The total cost including shipping would be around $380. We have sent orders to Boston and Maryland previously, order taking around 5 days to arrive from point of dispatch. We manufacture the bellhousings ourselves here in Lancashire, UK.

If you need any more information please let me know.

Ian

PostPosted: November 29, 2009, 10:04 pm 

wdmotorsport wrote:
RossD wrote:

Hi

I am Ian from RWD Motorsport (must get my username changed).

Don't mean to be commercial on my first post but, to answer your question, the shipping to the USA would be around £60 - £65, which is around $85 at current exchange rates. The total cost including shipping would be around $380. We have sent orders to Boston and Maryland previously, order taking around 5 days to arrive from point of dispatch. We manufacture the bellhousings ourselves here in Lancashire, UK.

If you need any more information please let me know.

Ian

Ian--

I'll bite... ;-) Can you give a guideline for the parts required to use your bell?

While not a Locost noob (my project dates back about 9 years, with fits and starts since then), I AM a noob regarding the Zetec plant. So, basically, can you provide some guidance as to the bits needed between the block and a T-5? We Yanks are fortunate as the T-5 is plentiful here as there were a TON of 4-cyl Mustangs shipped with that particular 'box.

Any assistance is appreciated for a soul who is resisting the urge to widen the frame and use a trusty ole 5.0L V8... :mrgreen:

Best,

Chris

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 6:11 am 

Hi

First thing. The Pinto or Cosworth to Borg Warner T5 Bellhousing http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/Bellhousin ... od_15.html will only fit what we term over here the "silver top" Zetec. Versions made circa 1997 and after in the UK had a completely different engine design and bellhousing pattern like http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/Bellhousin ... od_16.html (see images). You will be able to see from the image which bolt pattern your engine has. We only supply a bellhousing to suit the Ford Type 9 (Sierra) gearbox for later Zetec engines.

We supply the spigot (pilot bearing) which fits directly into FWD Zetec flywheels. Dimensions are
Internal spigot diameter is 15mm (0.59")
External spigot diameter is 21mm (0.83")
Length is 16mm (0.63")

As correctly stated in this post you can retain the standard flywheel and pressure plate but will need a 23 spline 1" clutch spinner plate. The 2.3L Mustang clutch disc seems to do the job but we also supply a standard Ford clutch kit which we are willing to split the friction plate from http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/clutch-cov ... od_32.html.

We also supply the standard Ford clutch release arm http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/Bellhousin ... od_24.html and release bearing http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/Bellhousin ... od_29.html for which there is a clutch pivot pin built into the Borg Warner Bellhousing.

I hope that helps.

Ian

PostPosted: January 1, 2010, 12:57 am 

Hey guys, anyone familiar with how the different flavours of Zetec translate on this side of the ocean?

i.e. do all North American Zetecs share mounting points with the Pinto 2.3l?

I'm hoping to fit a 2l Focus SVT Zetec (2002) to either a T5 or Type 9. T5 was fitted to the 2.3l Thunderbird, and 2.3/2.5 Ranger. Type 9 was fitted to the 2.3 in the XR4ti, all of which are easy to scavenge.

Cheers, Ted

PostPosted: January 26, 2010, 5:35 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
That is the bearing to use with the 2.3L T5. The 5.0L Ford v8 version has a .680" pilot bearing ID.

THe 2.3L T5 input shaft is also longer than the v8 version, but that can be trimmed slightly with a grinder if there isn't sufficient crankshaft end play.

So, my dad found me a good used T5 out of a Mustang to use in the swap but I do not know if it came out of a I4 or V8. Im guessing that it probably came out of a V8 model since they are far more common. If this is the case, is there a source for a pilot bearing that will fit a Zetec to a V8 T5?

PostPosted: January 27, 2010, 8:44 am 

While there may be more V8 T5's (don't know if that is true) most them have been beat to death. If it is in good condition, that would indicate it probably is not a V8 application. But why guess? Measure the pilot bearing. If it is .590", it is a 2.3. If it is .688", it is either for a V6 or V8. Then measure the input shaft length. 7.85" is V6. 7.18" is V8. Specs can be found here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/T5ID.htm

Bill