LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sylva J15 complete kit
PostPosted: March 12, 2023, 12:15 am 

PROJECT SOLD

Life got in the way...

One of the last J15 chassis and kit. LHD chassis and standard bodywork. Untouched (not started), stored in garage since purchase.
will provide pictures and more details for interested parties. Location near Portland Oregon.

Last edited by Beardy on April 22, 2023, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 12, 2023, 12:38 pm 

That's a nice looking little car (Google Images). Is yours set up for a particular engine or drivetrain?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 12, 2023, 2:01 pm 

The engine choice is open. It would typically be built with the very light Yamaha derived 1.6 4 cylinder Ford fiesta engine (Zetec-S Zetec-SE). However I was very interested in the potential to put the little Mazda KL V6 in it. I spoke a few times with Claire about this and with down draft throttle bodies and potentially modified oil pan we were/are convinced it would fit nicely. Claire builds and provides parts for a Mk1 MX5 conversion using this engine
https://crapengineering.weebly.com
A brief discussion with Jeremy Philipps, the Sylva designer was also positive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylva_Autokits

PostPosted: March 12, 2023, 2:24 pm 

The car comes with a CA sequence number (tax has been paid).

https://groups.google.com/g/sylva-chat/about

if you google Sylva Jeremy Phillips there is more information and pictures are available

As you will note from the pictures there is no windscreen as such, it is a wind deflector. So there is no DOT approved screen. The deflector is lexan or similar.

It comes from a long line of cars from Jeremy Philipps who was a prolific and successful designer of club racing cars. There is more on the web. This one was designed around the 1.6 Ford Fiesta Zetec SE drivetrain. When I bought the kit I had not been in the states long and was concerned that I might not be able to find some of the parts that I thought might be UK specific (Triumph uprights etc.). So I bought all of this along with the chassis, fiberglass `clothing', screen, headlight fairings etc. It comes with the wheel bearings, uprights, wishbones, rocker arms, rod ends, mounting bolts, bushes etc.. The fabricated rear uprights accept Fiesta Mk4 front hubs, The front are Triumph uprights with alloy hubs.
I have a complete list and receipt of the kit but I am having problems uploading an attachment.
I dont have the donor parts. I do have a build manual and additional information, but need to find it.

PostPosted: March 13, 2023, 10:02 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

There is a glass windscreen for these but it is probably from a car that was never sold here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 13, 2023, 12:45 pm 

Very cool car. Good thing you are far away from me or I would be heading to your place with the trailer...
Good luck with finding a lucky buyer!
Cheers,
Eric

PostPosted: March 13, 2023, 3:38 pm 

I think the glass screen was a way of getting around the increasingly irritating regulations in the UK required to register it for the road.
It appears on the J15 Vectis which was a later version of the J15 that used more donor parts from a single vehicle (MGF) although Ironically the screen is an Lotus Elan S2/S3. The J15 Vectis uses the same fiberglass body, but there are differences to the chassis to accept the MGF components. Although the MGF rusted like a true Italian thoroughbred and there were/are plenty of low price donors, I don't think this was a particularly successful model and I believe almost all the cars were built with the aeroscreen. When seen in profile it does rather mess with the lines.

PostPosted: March 13, 2023, 7:32 pm 

Link or more info?

PostPosted: March 13, 2023, 10:06 pm 

google is your friend...

the more obvious resources are:
https://jpsc.org.uk

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk

and of course pistonheads - just search using `Sylva J15 pistonheads'
this
https://www.totalkitcar.com/2017/08/31/ ... pricelist/
and
this thread specifically on the Vectis
https://www.mg-rover.org/threads/mgf-vectis.512866/

PostPosted: March 14, 2023, 12:40 am 

I don't need you to supply more information on Sylvas. I just thought that you might have some information on the one that you're placing up for sale. It seems kind of odd that you're telling interested parties to contact you instead of just providing information for everyone to see.

PostPosted: March 14, 2023, 2:29 am 

Got it. Sorry for the confusion...
I have an unstarted kit. So what I have is purely `vanilla'; I have no non-standards or adaptations to review. I can only tell you what the generic build might look like when you are finished. I purchased a pretty complete kit as I was not sure what I would be able to get locally, and being a recent immigrant I was not sure what might be UK specific and difficult to get here.

I have a detailed receipt but as previously noted I am having issues trying to append an attachment to my post.

The receipts details as follows:
LHD J15 sport chassis kit comprising:
Jig assembled, mig welded, steel tube space frame chassis incorporating triangulated side intrusion framework and all suspension and steering brackets, seat belt anchors, handbrake lugs, front body support hinge frames. Chassis plate.
Pair of front upper rocker arms with rubber bushes ball joints and mounting bolts. Pair of front lower wishbones with rubber bushes, rod ends and mounting bolts. Pair of rear upper wishbones with rubber adjustable `toe adjustment' links with rubber bushes, rod ends and mounting bolts.
Handbrake lever.
No engine /gearbox mounting. No pedal box or pedals. No gear linkage.
- [all this is engine specific and at the time I was undecided on what engine I wanted to fit]

it goes on...
Pair of steel fabricated uprights. (Designed to accept the ford fiesta Mk4 zetec front hubs). Pair of wheel bearings for above.
Pair of fully assembled front Triumph uprightes complete with spindles, heavy duty bearings, steering arms and alloy hub with studs and discs.

J15 Sport body kit comprising:
five piece body kit (front section, rear section, center tub and pair of sills) in gel color glass fiber (black). Including headlights and rear stop lights. Badge and j15 decal.
Options wrap-a-round three piece cockpit perspex wind deflector
perspex headlight covers

I believe I also have a set of alloy bodied AVO dampers and springs. I don't see these on the invoice and would have to go look in the box to confirm.
I have the statement of origin and receipt of Tax paid to CA state for $1479 and SPCN sequence number.

hope that helps,
M

PostPosted: March 14, 2023, 9:26 am 

Thanks Beardy. Sounds very interesting.

PostPosted: March 14, 2023, 11:31 am 

I did not realize from the pic that the J15 was mid-engine. :shock:

That's also rather tantalizingly nearby... :BH:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: March 16, 2023, 6:08 pm 

Some random pictures of pretty cars...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 16, 2023, 6:12 pm 

another