LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 24, 2018, 3:07 pm 

With U.S. traffic congestion costing the average driver $1,400 per year and the U.S. ranked 13th in the world in road quality, the personal-finance website WalletHub today released its report on 2018's Best & Worst States to Drive in.

To determine the most driver-friendly states in the U.S., WalletHub compared the 50 states across 23 key metrics. The data set ranges from average gas prices to share of rush-hour traffic congestion to road quality.

Best States for Driving Worst States for Driving
1 Texas 41 New York
2 Kansas 42 New Jersey
3 Nebraska 43 Rhode Island
4 Iowa 44 Massachusetts
5 North Carolina 45 Alaska
6 Oregon 46 Connecticut
7 Georgia 47 California
8 Alabama 48 Maryland
9 Arkansas 49 Washington
10 Illinois 50 Hawaii

Best vs. Worst

Mississippi has the lowest share of rush-hour traffic congestion, 13 percent, which is 6.5 times lower than in California, the state with the highest at 85 percent.

Missouri has the lowest average regular gas price, $2.266 per gallon, which is 1.5 times lower than in Hawaii, the state with the highest at $3.301 per gallon.

Vermont has the fewest car thefts (per 1,000 residents), 0.45, which is 12.5 times fewer than in New Mexico, the state with the most at 5.64.

California has the most auto-repair shops (per square root of the population), 1.4653, which is 7.2 times more than in Alaska, the state with the fewest at 0.2027.

Maine has the lowest average car insurance rate, $925, which is 2.7 times lower than in Michigan, the state with the highest at $2,484.

To view the full report and your state’s rank, please visit:
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-st ... -in/43012/

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you would like to schedule a phone, Skype or in-studio interview with one of our experts. Full data sets for specific states are also available upon request.

Best,
Diana Popa
WalletHub Communications Manager
(202) 684-6386

More from WalletHub

Best & Worst Cities to Drive in
Best & Worst States for Teen Drivers
Best & Worst Cities for Staycations
Auto Insurance & Credit Score Report
Strictest And Most Lenient States On DUI

PostPosted: January 24, 2018, 3:20 pm 

...And yet I have absolutely no desire to drive through any of the top-4 "best states to drive in" ever again.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: January 24, 2018, 6:24 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Agreed; there's a reason some states have low numbers - not many people want to live there.

PostPosted: January 24, 2018, 7:22 pm 

As a Canadian that drives a lot in the USA (mostly in North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kansas, Montana, Wyoming and Washington) I can tell you that I'd prefer to drive in the USA instead of Canada at any time. Your roads are in much better condition than ours, your fuel is much cheaper, hotel rooms are cheaper and American truck stops are MARVELOUS with a huge assortment of cheap, empty calories.

The only thing that I don't like are those stupid little pockets in the paved shoulder, the rumble/warning strips, that collect rocks that are thrown into your windshield when the guy ahead of you momentarily falls off of the road...must of been invented by the windshield manufacturers. Oh, and I don't like rush hour in Seattle or Chicago. But other than that USA states are great to drive in.

PostPosted: January 24, 2018, 10:45 pm 
Toyotaphobe

KB58 wrote:
Agreed; there's a reason some states have low numbers - not many people want to live there.

That can't be said about Texas, cause while we have lots of wide open spaces we also have some of the biggest cities.

Of course driving through Texas can take quite a while. From Dallas to El Paso is almost the same as from Dallas to Chicago. Of course we've got 85 mph speed limits in a lot of the state.

On the bypass of Austin, headed to COTA I've tucked in behind a Highway Patrolman and done 95 almost the whole way.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 24, 2018, 11:15 pm 

Having driven in Seattle, LA, Boston, Chicago, and Dallas, I'll take Kansas City anytime. Even at rush hour it is still better than any of those in their off hours. Russ

PostPosted: January 25, 2018, 12:19 am 
Toyotaphobe

trialsmangasgas wrote:
Having driven in Seattle, LA, Boston, Chicago, and Dallas, I'll take Kansas City anytime. Even at rush hour it is still better than any of those in their off hours. Russ

Dallas is the pits in just about every way, not just driving. I moved to Fort Worth and I am amazed at the differences, people, attitudes, food, just about everything.

Except for one highway that is under construction, during rush hour I slow down from 75 to 65-70. FW main rush hour is better than driving on Dallas streets at noon.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: January 25, 2018, 12:23 am 

Having driven every major city in the USA except Honolulu and Anchorage, I'll take the peace & beauty of country back roads anytime. I'll do major cities if need be, but the need must be great! And this from a guy that grew up and learned to drive in L.A.!

PostPosted: January 26, 2018, 1:37 pm 

ngpmike wrote:
Having driven every major city in the USA except Honolulu and Anchorage, I'll take the peace & beauty of country back roads anytime. I'll do major cities if need be, but the need must be great! And this from a guy that grew up and learned to drive in L.A.!

I've never been to a really big city, never mind driven in one, but I agree. I'm 20 minutes out of a city of about 90,000, and I don't even like going there. The biggest city I've been to is Vancouver, I spent 2 months a year there when I was doing my apprenticeship training. There were about 2.3 million people there at the time, and the best view I ever had of that place was in my rearview mirror after I finished my schooling. I think I might be a grumpy old man before my time, but I'd probably make a decent hermit.
Kristian

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 26, 2018, 1:59 pm 

How can you even stand to drive there? Obviously flat featureless landscapes with arrow straight roads are the "best" for driving.

PostPosted: January 26, 2018, 8:06 pm 
Always Moore!

Wait Texas is #1? Are they high or stupid?

Unless you live in the sticks, everywhere is a giant traffic jam. No one obeys the lines on the road. No one obeys or enforces the speed limit. No one uses turn signals. 100+ degree temperature swings do all sorts of awful things to the pavement. Curves and elevation change are almost non-existent.

If a pickup truck is the perfect vehicle for a given state then that state is not a good place to drive. Literally the only thing driving in this state has going for it is relatively cheap gas.

PostPosted: January 28, 2018, 1:05 am 
Toyotaphobe

a.moore wrote:
Wait Texas is #1? Are they high or stupid?

Unless you live in the sticks, everywhere is a giant traffic jam. No one obeys the lines on the road. No one obeys or enforces the speed limit. No one uses turn signals. 100+ degree temperature swings do all sorts of awful things to the pavement. Curves and elevation change are almost non-existent.

If a pickup truck is the perfect vehicle for a given state then that state is not a good place to drive. Literally the only thing driving in this state has going for it is relatively cheap gas.

You couldn't be more wrong on almost every point. The no turn signal users are transplants. Texans are too friendly not to use their signals.

Traffic jams are confined to a few of the big cities, Houston & Austin being the main offenders with Dallas not far behind, but that's a very small percentage of the state.

You are right about 100+ degrees, but by & large the roads stay repaired.

There are lots of curves and lots of elevation changes if you modify your expectations. West Texas has some mountains and a lot of the rest of the state has hills. There's even a section called, wait for it, "The Hill Country" that has some of the nicest windy roads with lots of elevation changes.

Texas is so big that many people hit one part of the state and thing that applies to it all. Now if an alien were to land in in the stretch of road out past Abilene and over to El Paso he would think the planet was flat, featureless and uninhabited, but at least we have 85 mph speed limits there which limits the time you have to spend there.

From my house it's over 600 miles and an 8 1/2 hour drive to El Paso.

And don't malign a pick up truck the new trucks have interiors & features that rival passenger cars and are a lot more roomy plus they get 20+ mpg and have room to haul whatever you want back from Lowes. Not a bad combination, especially if you have to be on the road for as many hours as you have to be to get from point to point in Texas. We've got cities larger than some states.

And I'm a Florida boy by birth and much of my life.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: January 28, 2018, 9:10 pm 

Here is some more for you guys to ponder>
https://quotewizard.com/news/posts/best ... state-2017

PostPosted: January 29, 2018, 12:08 am 
Toyotaphobe

Now let's see them by accidents per mile driven. RI who is #50 would really jump because they are so small you can skateboard across the state and no one needs to drive.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: January 29, 2018, 3:15 am 

"From passive to inattentive" is a great description of WA's bad drivers. Not to mention that every time it rains in Seattle...you know, 'only' around 152 days per year...half the people drive like they've never seen this strange (and obviously dangerous) substance falling from the sky before. :BH: