LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 8:32 pm 

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to take my Locost to my grandparent’s cottage on Manitoulin Island. Driving there, I took the long way, in order to avoid having to take a ferry. This part of the drive was 600km. On the map below, I started at F, drove through B, C and ended at the cottage, point D. To get home, I took the ferry, which went from the Island to point E, and then drove the rest of the way home, to point F. The trip was great. I went solo for the drive, but next time I go, my girlfriend will be joining me.
Two weeks prior to taking the trip, I realized that I wanted to make a convertible top for my car. This included making doors. I was originally going to pay someone to make the top for me, but I was quoted $1500 even if I made the doors, and the frame that supported the top. After thinking about it, I soon realized that I made everything else on the car, so why couldn’t I make a top for it too? Well, that decision lead to a lot of work. I worked for almost 60 hours in those 2 weeks, trying to make the top. I finished it at 2 am on Thursday. I was up at 6am on Friday to go to work. I worked 6hours and then started the drive. I was so excited. I didn’t care how much sleep I got. Below are a couple of pictures of the drive up.
On the drive, I had a lot of people looking at the car, and asking about it. Every time I stopped, I was complemented on the car, and asked all sorts of questions. Unlike Jack, I choice not to take pictures of all the woman that asked about my car. :roll: (My girlfriend wouldn’t be too happy with me). The doors were great at cutting down the wind to almost nothing. I did the entire drive with the top down, while wearing a T-shirt. It was great.

In previous drives to the cottage, I would struggle to pass vehicles on the narrow 2 lane highways, due to the low power of the vehicles I regularly drive. For the first time in my life, I was able to pass any vehicle I wanted. A 5.0L in a Locost really helps with that.

Once at the cottage, I took some better pictures of my car. Enjoy:
I left the island on Monday afternoon. On the way home, as mentioned before, I took a ferry. I had to wait 1.5 hours before the ferry arrived, and I spent almost the entire time showing off my car to strangers. So many people were interested in the car. The ferry has 2 levels, and I requested that I go on the bottom of the ferry, with all of the SUV’s and Trucks. I was worried that the bottom of my engine would hit the ramp going onto the upper floor. My car sure seems small next to that Hummer.
I put the top up during the crossing, to add a bit of security to the car while at sea. Passengers are not allowed to go to their car during the 2 hour voyage. The ferry I took is in the background of this picture:
Inside the ferry:
On the drive after the ferry, I happened to look at my headlight, and the image on it looked so cool. I tried to get a picture of it, and this was the best I could do:
Note the 758km/h MAX SPEED I got. Its GPS verified. Fastest Locost ever.
The sunset coming home was beautiful, filled with bright pink and orange. Unfortunately, my camera was crap, and I couldn’t get a good picture of it. This is the best I could do:

And if anyone is wondering, there were lots of Police out this weekend, and no one pulled me over. I thought that at least one would pull me over to check my papers. Oh well, better for me anyways.

Wow, what a trip. It was a lot of fun. I can’t wait to go again, because this is what it is all about. Many of you dream of going on a little road trip with your own Locost. For those of you with a pile of parts in your garage just keep working on your car. Don’t stop. And when you get your car on the road, I look forward to reading about your own little trip.

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 8:53 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Love the bug-splats, makes it much more "real."

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 10:05 pm 

Great job, I am glad you had fun. I have only taken mine about 130 miles in one drive but that is about to change :lol: . I have put on about 3500 miles although the speedo only shows about 1100 as I was having trouble with the angle drive. Never mind she is all good now and works good. Anyway, congrats on the trip.

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 10:22 pm 

Thank you so much for the pics and the story. My wife and I are from BC and we just spent a week in Windsor and Detroit, almost the same area! Ford museum was great and country was nice, people were very nice. My frame is nearing completion and I have everything but my shocks and springs so I'm hoping to be on the road in the next few months. Again thanks for the post. David

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 10:36 pm 
The voice of reason

I think the wood dash looks great in the pictures. I hope you like it.

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 10:42 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Hey, that's GREAT, Jon! Sounds like a blast, and the top looks positively British. Good job on it! Post some pix of the frame, please!

Glad to hear the trip went well. That thing is a ferry?!? Looks more like a cruise ship to me.

I assume the car gave you no troubles?

Thanks for sharing,
-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 10:56 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Love the bug-splats, makes it much more "real."

Oh the bugs. I had to clean the windshield every time I stopped for gas. I'm just glad that none got in my teeth :roll:

Quote:
My wife and I are from BC and we just spent a week in Windsor and Detroit, almost the same area! Ford museum was great and country was nice, people were very nice.

I'm looking forward to returning to Detroit to visit the Ford museum sometime soon. I went there about 5 or 6 years ago with my family, and I enjoyed it.

Quote:
I think the wood dash looks great in the pictures. I hope you like it.

I like the dash a lot. It turned out great.

Quote:
Sounds like a blast, and the top looks positively British. Good job on it! Post some pix of the frame, please!

Once I feel that I am finished the top, I will make a new thread, showing more detailed pictures. There is still work to be done to perfect it.

Quote:
I assume the car gave you no troubles?

Believe it or not, I didn't have any problems with the car. It ran great. However, there are are couple of things that I will probably change/ modify to make the car better for long distance cruising. The noise from the tires is very loud, and I need to figure out how to cut that noise down. I imagine that the noise is coming from the trunk area, so some paneling back there should help. I also need to make a better latching mechanism for the doors. (I will explain all this later, once I've figured it out.) Lastly, as you can see, I have a blue strap holding down my hood. Its been on the car since I started driving the car 2 months ago. I need it because the wind likes to lift the hood. I will need to find better hood latches to hold my hood.

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 11:27 pm 

The only fix for quieting your tires is to buy quieter tires. Is the "boot" panelled, or open to below? If it's open, that will be noisy for sure.

Caterhams have their doors held closed by two straps with snaps on them - one by your elbow/forearm and one by your shoulder/armpit. They snap to the chassis from the inside.

The wind lifts my hood as well. Thick foam between the hood and nose helps, but just the upward-sloping shape of the nose meeting the relatively horizontal hood creates a low pressure area which will try and draw the hood up. I have seen some use another Dzus fastener there to keep it down. Others have used an extra tab of metal to hook the hood under. I just put up with it - it's relatively minor on mine.

I like the doors. I have door envy.

G

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 1:54 am 

Those doors look great, I hope you put up an explanation on how you made them. Congratulations on a trouble-free trip!

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 6:19 am 

Awesome, Locost road trips make me envious.

PostPosted: May 21, 2009, 9:49 pm 

firebat45 wrote:
Those doors look great, I hope you put up an explanation on how you made them.

I don't have any pictures of the doors while I was making them, because I didn't have access to a digital camera. So, when I get time, I will post more detailed pictures of the finished doors in a new thread.

PostPosted: May 21, 2009, 11:02 pm 

Quote:
The noise from the tires is very loud, and I need to figure out how to cut that noise down.

Once I finally start building my car, one of my plans is to use Dynamat (used to line floors and whatnot to help deaden noise) and cover the entire interior of the car, then cover that with some cheap automotive carpet. I'm sure it seems counterintuitive trying to deaden the noise inside when the top half of the car is 'open', but it probably will help quite a bit.

Just my 2 cents for what I'm doing. Also, great pics, I'm crawling out of my skin trying to get my Impala fixed and driving so I can hopefully start on my own locost.

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 10:34 am 

Great write-up Jon, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. You sure did a heck of a good job on that car and you deserve to have lots of fun showing it off. :thmbsup: :cheers:

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 1:21 pm 

That's a very nice looking top/doors...Especially considering the limited 2 week design/build time! :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie