LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: July 28, 2010, 2:05 pm 

I'm looking into it. about 30-50% chance I can make it. Locost Car is roadworthy but not registerd so I'd ride my Ducati. Looks like 11 hours of drive time each way, so it may not work out for that reason. Looking into flying to Cincinatti, and driving down with my buddy and staying in his cabin near Moorehead. If that works then that would be the best. Ill keep you posted. Gene

PostPosted: July 28, 2010, 9:46 pm 

There's a 73% chance I'll be there on Saturday.
I'll be driving my minivan with my family, (who will be heading on to the inlaws.)
The one thing I'm most interested in is shop time.
I'm also interested in social hour, lunch, blats.

Sam (from Xenia near Dayton OH)

31July10 Looks like work and building a house will be taking over the weekend :( 73=>0.4
Hopefully next year!

Last edited by S27sam on July 31, 2010, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 31, 2010, 8:05 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Looking forward to next weekend! :-D

Cleaning up the shop a bit so no one trips over my valuable junk too much. Tomorrow I'm planning on driving a few courses I have have sketched out for blatting. They should be some very interesting runs with gorgeous scenery.

Also invited the local Cobra club to join us. They've got a meeting in Louisville that day, but perhaps some of the Lexington members will join us.

See you all soon! I'm getting pretty jazzed about this!

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: August 2, 2010, 9:52 pm 

Newcomer here, I've been in the shadows for some time.. and have my own build ALMOST #$(^@#*&^$( done, ALMOST.

i've been silent due to a conflick on saturday, but now think there isa 75% chance i'll drive out to lexington for social hour and shop talk.

cheers
wemtd

PostPosted: August 3, 2010, 12:58 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Anyone looking directions can start here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 6&t=h&z=18 Google puts the marker slightly off...we're at the corner of Conn and Journal, near Transcript and Elizabeth.

Address is 927 Journal Ave, Lexington, KY 40508
My cell: 859-351-2326.
Janine's: 859-338-8143 (more reliable than mine)

I don't have real specific plans for the day, but I'm real good at improvising. It will largely depend on the ratio of cars/people. If we have a dozen people and a half-dozen blattable cars (Locost or otherwise), then a-blatting we will go! If it's twenty people drooling/cringing over my lone Locost, we might never leave the garage other than to grant any first-ride wishes around town. Myself, I'm all kinds of eager about the driving! So if your Locost isn't finished and you've got the choice of bringing your F-150, 240sx, or CBR600 ... leave the truck at home! ;-)
:zoom:

Plan on getting to the house between 9 and 10 AM. If a spirited run in the country is warranted, we'll launch at 10:30 to beat the worst of the heat and probably end up at Addie's Creekside Cafe for lunch. If that doesn't suit the crowd/cars that shows up, we can keep ourselves entertained in town all day long. There will be a plan and communications for late-comers to meet up, in case you can't get here that early. I'll post details by Friday morning.

We'll have an equally-spirited drive back to Lexington and take a Tour d'Garages as invites and interest dictate. We'll take JL1 up on his offer to visit his curvy exocar under construction. I don't know if Pook has anything going at the moment, but maybe we'll luck out and see his skunkwerks. I'm not sure if there are any Cobras under construction locally, but if so, we'd sure appreciate an invite to stop by. (Hint, Hint!)

We'll have dinner on the town -- maybe at the Parkette drive-in to hang out with the hot-rods, or perhaps somewhere more civilized (that is, air conditioned!) like Hooters. What the posse wants, the posse gets.

As for the blats, I test drove a route Sunday that turned out better than I expected! With a few dead ends and two violated road blocks, Janine and I spent four hours covering 110 miles, including a leisurely lunch at DQ. I found roads so twisty I rarely hit fourth gear, and one stretch I dubbed "Tail of the Kitten" that never got out of second! Some sections begged to go fast, some slowed us to a stroll to admire the Kentucky River, some nameless waterfall, or Versailles' own castle. There's a lot of flexibility in the route -- it can be trimmed to an hour or stretched until dark, and never get more than 30 miles from Lexington.

Well...it's late and I'm tired...chime in if any of this sounds good or if you have other ideas to share. If folks are going to be in Lexington Friday night or Sunday, we'll hook up for sure. As I mentioned, there is an autocross in town Sunday for those that swing that way, or a thousand country roads to explore.

More later,
-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

PostPosted: August 4, 2010, 12:40 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Google is pretty good with directions to our house, but here's the essence of how to get here:

From I-75 or I-64, take Exit 113 (Lexington/Paris) . Take US 27 South toward Lexington. Go through downtown and under the railroad underpass. Two lights later, turn left on Virginia Ave (aka Red Mile Road) at the Shell station/Starbucks. At the parking garage, turn right on Press, right on Transcript, left on Journal, stop at the end of the block.

Coming from the south on I-75, take Exit 104 (Lexington/Athens). Turn left toward Lexington. Go straight downtown. Turn left at the godamnt pasture onto Upper Street. Go about a mile. At the UK Hospital parking garage, turn right onto Transcript, left onto Journal, stop at the end of the block.

-dave

PostPosted: August 4, 2010, 2:15 am 

dhempy wrote:
....As for the blats, I test drove a route Sunday that turned out better than I expected! With a few dead ends and two violated road blocks, Janine and I spent four hours covering 110 miles, including a leisurely lunch at DQ. I found roads so twisty I rarely hit fourth gear, and one stretch I dubbed "Tail of the Kitten" that never got out of second! Some sections begged to go fast, some slowed us to a stroll to admire the Kentucky River, some nameless waterfall, or Versailles' own castle. There's a lot of flexibility in the route -- it can be trimmed to an hour or stretched until dark, and never get more than 30 miles from Lexington.
-dave
Damn.... wish I lived closer... sounds like a blast! Be sure to take lots of pics so the rest of us can live vicariously!

Good Luck, Drive Safe(ly as possible) and enjoy the fun!!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: August 5, 2010, 7:02 pm 

Who's going to come for sure?

I still intend on coming, but I'm not sure who's going to exactly be there. Jack, you won't be there, correct?

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: August 5, 2010, 7:41 pm 

SteyrTMP, I will be there. If you see a red Ford truck pulling a red trailer with a blue and red Seven coming down 75 that will be me.

Ralph

PostPosted: August 5, 2010, 10:55 pm 

I was hoping Pete B was coming with me again, but I haven't heard from him.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: August 6, 2010, 1:21 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

dhempy wrote:
There will be a plan and communications for late-comers to meet up, in case you can't get here that early. I'll post details by Friday morning.

We've had a few cancellations, but a few others say they're coming. I reckon we'll be a pack of 10 or so, give or take about 9 people. ;-)

As for the communication plan, the best bet is to call my cell phone, and if that doesn't work, my wife's. (Listed above.) I'll post updates here as the official notification LLLupdates, and leave a note on the door.

As if that wasn't enough, I'll attempt to tweet (is that correct grammer?) more detailed, realtime LLLocation updates at http://twitter.com/dhempy if you show up late and we're on the road. I don't really do Twitter, but maybe you do. Don't count on that to actually work...I'm not as socially networked as most folks seem to be. Hard to weld on a twit.

-dave "twit" hempy

PostPosted: August 6, 2010, 6:47 pm 

Dave:

Just to confirm:

I'll be there! (With no Locost yet, unfortunately, but with plenty of enthusiasm for my build!)

- Dan
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: August 6, 2010, 11:12 pm 

dhempy wrote:
As if that wasn't enough, I'll attempt to tweet (is that correct grammer?) more detailed, realtime LLLocation updates at http://twitter.com/dhempy if you show up late and we're on the road. I don't really do Twitter, but maybe you do. Don't count on that to actually work...I'm not as socially networked as most folks seem to be. Hard to weld on a twit.
-dave "twit" hempy
Hey.. I tried to add you but you have it set to private. Make sure you go and add everyone or make it public before you take off or no one but those listed will see it!!

K "take what thrills I get" S

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: August 6, 2010, 11:55 pm 

I will be there 100%, though the time of arrival is not confirmed. I forsee being free after 12
I will most likely have the wife in tow.
I will either drive the Fiero (not the V-8, dammed axle) or the Lightning.
I just checked, and there are only 43 entries for Sundays auto cross (including 1 Seven),
so it would be a good day of racing. I could throw the hoosiers on the stock Fiero and go have some fun, or just take the Lightning and burn a lot of rubber. IIRC, Richmond is a concrete surface, though it has been a while since I was there.

Gene

http://www.scrabblegod.com/locost

PostPosted: August 7, 2010, 12:36 am 

in for the morning,
no se7ev... But got her runnin today!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next