LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 7, 2010, 4:17 am 

were on our way. I left Other Dave's about 35 min ago with the seven in tow. we started later thn I wanted, as usual, but were going to be there around 945-10:15 if all goes well.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: August 7, 2010, 6:29 am 

update: sadly, due to a few stops, were looking more like 11.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: August 8, 2010, 9:57 am 

Hey Hempy, sorry I missed your wifes e-mail I dont have net at the new place yet.... so how was it?
PooK

PostPosted: August 8, 2010, 1:45 pm 

Folks:

It was a great day yesterday at the LLL 2010!

Thanks to Hempy and his lovely wife for the food and hospitality.

I'll be posting some video soon, and will provide the links to them as soon as they are up.

I also have some pics to share. I'll start with one, and will have others to follow.

Here is one pic of the gang drooling over Ralph's beautiful 'R7X' locost, which he is running today in Richmond.

Enjoy!

- Dan

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 9, 2010, 1:12 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Thanks everyone for coming. It was GREAT having a dozen-ish like-minded folks around. The creativity and skill of this group is just so darned impressive! There will be another LLL, probably next year. The wife actually said we should do this more than once a year! Also talk of a mid-Ohio gathering. (Locost Ohio Lounge...LOL!) That would be smack dab in the middle of our regular attendees...Lex, Lou, Indy, Cincy, Charleston, Cleveland, Dayton, Columbus...

Anyone wishing they'd made it, or wishing it was closer to your house? I'll let you in on a little secret. It's REALLY EASY to pull off. Just pick a date (at least a month out), post it on a half-dozen boards and local clubs, and order some pizza. The rest works itself out. You don't need to be a guru, a completed builder, or even have started a build. Heck, do it within a state of Kentucky and I'll come if you invite me! What could be better than having me there?

Again, thanks to everyone who showed up, showed off their cars, and showed each other better ways of doing things. It was an honor to have you all in my shop.

-dave "build it and I will come" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: August 9, 2010, 3:08 pm 

Dave (and all)
Thanks for a great time.

my S3 measures ~39" wide at the seats with ~88" wheel base - so i think a little smaller than your locost

cheers
paul

PostPosted: August 9, 2010, 6:24 pm 
Locostering Legend

Thanks Janine and Dave for the food and hospitality.

It's good talking to similarly afflicted gear heads; makes one feel normal (a little bit anyway). Ralph's car is nicely detailed and finished. Dave's car an excellent example of a Miata build. Nate's shows great promise for panel shapng and wild turbo power. James' build and shop drew envious, hateful stares (JK).

Trip home yesterday (600 miles) was uneventful. I loved I-79 in WV. Very smooth pavement and twisty. I chose the right tool for the trip. Averaged 80 mph thru KY and WV, reduced to 79 thru MD. Crappy and busy PA roads dragged me down to 76 overall trip avg. God bless Valentine One; alarmed me to at least 12 traps. Saw one unmarked, black Charger in WV on the way down.

The bridge was out so we had to take the ferry:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 9, 2010, 7:05 pm 

No, thank YOU, Dave ( and co.). For the meal, hospitality, and the home base. We had a wonderful time. I definately got ideas, and am motivated to finish more before the next time we meet.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: August 9, 2010, 7:38 pm 

I would like to thank Dave and Janine for hosting this event and the place to sleep. I had a wonderfull time meeting other members and talking shop. The blauts following a bunch of two seaters with my truck and trailer in tow was a challenge but I enjoyed watching people pointing and looking at the cars as they went by.

Ralph

PostPosted: August 28, 2010, 11:05 pm 

All:

I apologize for taking so long to get my video posted, but the first one is up on YouTube (link below). I will tag all of these videos with 'LLL 2010' and 'Locost' to make it easier to find them.

First one up: a quick blat (if you can call it that) from Hempy's place to James' place (and his awesome workshop). There will be more to come.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ03jNwpllc

Last edited by Dsheehan5 on August 29, 2010, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 29, 2010, 12:29 pm 

And here is some more LLL 2010 footage, this time from the parking lot ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIhs04h7ak

Last edited by Dsheehan5 on August 29, 2010, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 29, 2010, 2:34 pm 

Dsheehan5 wrote:
And here is some more LLL 2010 footage, this time from the parking lot ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIhs04h7ak
I think his steering broke during the drive over.... he's only going in circles! :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting the vids. Fun to see them on more than just tables and jack stands!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: August 29, 2010, 5:53 pm 

Last video to post for today:

(or click below to go straight to the YouTube video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MANhK_MH0LU

PostPosted: August 29, 2010, 11:25 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

botbasher wrote:
I think his steering broke during the drive over.... he's only going in circles!

Nah...he's just a big NASCAR fan! :lol:

Thanks for posting the vids...fun to see how great Hempy's car sounds and how handsome the driver is! 8)

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]