LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: So we are back?
PostPosted: December 20, 2021, 9:45 pm 

Quote:
I wonder what the stats are?

Very easily found.
Here is one site, https://site-stats.org/locostusa.com/

We might find this registration note to be an opportunity for remedy? "...remaining 1 year, 237 days".

PostPosted: December 28, 2021, 11:41 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Hey, fam! <3

I hope everyone is having a productive+restful holiday!

Yep, we're back up again. As most of you know, I'm not on the site too often, so I am GREATLY GRATEFUL when someone tips me off to any hosting issues. I am no longer on Facebook, so trying to tag me there is not going to be fruitful.

THANK YOU to Jack McCornack for calling me on the telephone this time around! Once upon a time, I had a half-dozen volunteers with my phone number who offered to call me in such an outage. Perhaps we need to restock that elite squadron of squealers? If any veteran, junkie site members want my digits, send me a PM, please.

I am also open to expanding our tech squad, and/or move to another hosting provider. I will admit that our current provider has not been stellar in reliability. Hit me up if you have experience/ideas on how we can make things better.

I've always been opposed to advertising and membership fees, for various reasons. That's not to say we the community couldn't decide to go down that path at some point. But, the only positive change that would bring is more money. More money (at least the level of money this site would generate) would not improve any of the problems our volunteer community faces.

Your ever-faithful servant,
-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: December 29, 2021, 8:59 am 

Thanks for the update.
This is one of 3 forums that I frequent during the week, my progress has stalled as of late, but hoping to get back into the swing of things in the new year.
I'm a section mod on another forum, but don't really know anything about the technical side of things.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: December 29, 2021, 10:12 am 

PM sent.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 29, 2021, 10:19 am 

@dhempy

I'm PM'ing too.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 29, 2021, 9:23 pm 

Curious to know, are we running on the most current OS?
I used to moderate a forum until it became a truly full-time job.
Asked for help and got none so the interactive portion of the forum died.
That particular forum was RKBA 2A related and under constant attack.
This group should be pretty much safe from the lunatics.
But with constantly evolving Bots current OS is a must.

PostPosted: December 29, 2021, 10:24 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I own a site that originally let everyone in. That quickly changed after getting a pile of "people" signing up and then immediately advertising fake Rolex watches or sneakers. Also had to filter out strange URLs, nearly always from Eastern Europe or Asia, or search bots, that sucked up a ton of bandwidth. Never did discover what they were up to. Point being, someone's always got to keep an eye on things, paid or not. Problems with ISPs is more troublesome since there isn't a whole lot site owners can do other than find a good one and keep backups. I used Lunar Pages for many years without one problem, and then it was sold to Host Papa. Almost immediately, they said that I needed more bandwidth, which was fishy given the timing. I made a few setting changes and they stopped complaining, but I suspect they were trying to up-sell me, so I can't really recommend them at this point.

PostPosted: January 6, 2022, 2:13 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

KB58 wrote:
I own a site that originally let everyone in. That quickly changed after getting a pile of "people" signing up and then immediately advertising fake Rolex watches or sneakers

Yep...we get thousands of those. They sign up and post their crap indefinitely. Fortunately for all but our mods, members never see those posts. Until a user has 5 approved posts, their posts do not appear unless approved.

The downside of this is that new users have a delayed experience before they can really engage with the community. While unfortunate, this has proven to be the only effective defence against the bad guys.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

PostPosted: January 6, 2022, 2:13 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

KB58 wrote:
I own a site that originally let everyone in. That quickly changed after getting a pile of "people" signing up and then immediately advertising fake Rolex watches or sneakers

Yep...we get thousands of those. They sign up and post their crap indefinitely. Fortunately for all but our mods, members never see those posts. Until a user has 5 approved posts, their posts do not appear unless approved.

The downside of this is that new users have a delayed experience before they can really engage with the community. While unfortunate, this has proven to be the only effective defence against the bad guys.

PostPosted: February 6, 2022, 3:02 am 

As a new user waiting for my 5 posts I'll say that it is annoying, but I completely understand the need. As a member of several other boards I get tired of the spambots as much as everyone else. Any new user worth having will understand and appreciate the work you put in to keep that to a minimum.

Although sincere, I will admit that this post is to help me reach that 5 post mark.