LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 22, 2022, 1:38 pm 

While digging around my new to me Rotus I discovered a flexible steering cable (maybe 3/4" diameter) under the dash/scuttle apparently welded to the shafts near the pillow blocks on either end. I've never seen this on a car and Google just points to boat steering systems.

It seems like a reasonable solution for winding the steering column thru and around all the bits, but is it safe and where would I find a replacement if necessary?

It seems to have taken to a particular bend radius as there is more or less resistance while turning the steering shaft, with the rack disconnected. Or it could be just the rust/corrosion throughout the cable windings. It looks like primarily surface rust, but times several hundred small wires. It does stiffen the steering a bit, which may be a good thing, or not.

I'm thinking I should give it a good soaking of silicone spray lube or something similar.

I don't really have a question, more puzzled...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 22, 2022, 2:52 pm 
Always Moore!

I would get a column and lose that setup. Binding reduces driver feedback, flex reduces feedback and input response, and the cable taking a set may be the start of an impending failure. I'm a bit surprised any inspector would ok that given the criticality.

PostPosted: January 22, 2022, 3:43 pm 

A very unconventional solution. So was the Pontiac's 1961 Tempest rope driveshaft, essentially the same technology, I think. It appears to be contacting the brake pedal. Is that possibly the cause of the steering feel changing as you turn? I see nothing really wrong from the pick. Try to lube it a bit and see. Then decide if you change it to a more conventional solution. What have you got to loose?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 22, 2022, 4:37 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

It would be interesting to see the rest of the steering system between the cable and the rack. There may be a pillow block you can adjust to get the cable off the pedal.

I'd try to wire brush the rust off with a drill or take it out to the bench grinder then coat liberally with wheel bearing grease, then split a piece of heater hose down one side and slip over it once you have enough clearance to the pedal. You could also use split loom for wiring or wrap with a sheet of plastic and zip tie.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 22, 2022, 8:38 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like it's structurally sound, but I think the car was not used for a number of years and that might have caused the bend to set, along with some surface rust.

Good point about the Tempest driveshaft, this seems like a very 1960's thing to do. It's just barely touching the brake pedal and when I rotate the steering wheel 180* there's ~1/8" clearance.

The steering shaft path takes a few turns and yes there is a pillow block just outside the pedal box, then another near the left upper frame rail under the carbs and one under the dash, plus some sort of bushing at the dash just behind the wheel hub, seems to be ~2" square, maybe plastic... I took a bunch of pictures and this is the best I got (shows some fugly wiring also) Times like this make me regret not continuing with the contortionist classes.

I'm putting this in the 'something to keep an eye on' column, and plan to properly address if/when I get deeper.

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.