LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 23, 2023, 7:45 pm 

A theoretical question for you coil spring experts. The MGB front springs fit into pockets in the lower control arms and the upper pockets are fixed to the unibody. A very traditional setup for RWD vehicles. Unlike coil overs, the spring is compressed in an arc as the suspension moves. i.e. one side is compressed more than the other. If the springs have an even number of active coils, the axial orientation of the springs make no difference in ride height. No question there. But....., my OEM springs have 6-1/2 active coils. My question is, does the axial orientation now make a difference? i.e. if the 6 turn side of the coil is inward or outward, can it make a difference in ride height? A quick Google did not find the answer to my specific situation. It can't be that unique? Maybe it truly makes no difference. I can visualize it both ways.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 27, 2023, 1:34 pm 

Actually, I would argue that when the orientation of the spring matters, it matters just as much for whole turns as it does partial turns. Think of a spring with open (not squared) ends acting against flat spring perches. With the contact points as outboard as possible, it maximizes motion ratio. With the contact points as inboard as possible, it minimizes the motion ratio.

As I understand it, spring end vs perch mating is the key. The better supported the spring end is, the more evenly distributed the force application should be. That being said, I'm not well enough versed in it to know how far from 'idea' any given springs might work in the real world though. It would be easy enough to test by orienting both front springs with the upper inboard and outer outboard, check the ride height, rotate them to upper outboard and lower inboard, then check the ride height again. Alternatively, it can't hurt to just make sure they're both the same way regardless.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie