LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 15, 2024, 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 27, 2023, 2:22 pm 

Getting well into the fame build on my 442 project, but don't know what steering rack to use. Measuring the frame it looks like 20-22" is the rack length I need, But that may be subject to the nose size which I won't know nessisarily until later if I use the Kinetic TTL nose and end up widening it for my build it could be 24-26"

Reguardless, the question is what is available in the U.S that people have had success with? the Triumph TR7 rack is nice and compact looking for instance.

PostPosted: September 27, 2023, 3:55 pm 

doommachine wrote:
Getting well into the fame build on my 442 project, but don't know what steering rack to use. Measuring the frame it looks like 20-22" is the rack length I need, But that may be subject to the nose size which I won't know nessisarily until later if I use the Kinetic TTL nose and end up widening it for my build it could be 24-26"

Reguardless, the question is what is available in the U.S that people have had success with? the Triumph TR7 rack is nice and compact looking for instance.

Try the Mustang family of steering racks. They actually started with the Pinto (same basic design) but have continued on in many specific configurations over time. Many are power steering units, but there are manual models available too.

A number of aftermarket companies make them in several sizes, but the stock ones are simple and inexpensive as OEM replacements.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 27, 2023, 9:19 pm 

Mustang 2 racks then?

PostPosted: September 27, 2023, 9:59 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

And Mazda Miata, depowered.

PostPosted: September 27, 2023, 10:54 pm 

doommachine wrote:
Mustang 2 racks then?

Yes. You should be able to find a good selection in OEM and aftermarket versions.

PostPosted: September 28, 2023, 11:21 am 

The best Ratio I have seen is 3.5 turns lock to lock, this is with a 5.25" of travel though which is a lot for a little car and miata knucles. I think a miata is 4" of travel with 2.9 lock to lock, so may end up being similar responsiveness on account of the longer travel. I don't want to take too many chances with the steering though, so a miata rack might be the safer choice.

PostPosted: September 28, 2023, 11:32 am 

I'm going with the MX-5 NC one, it is 25" long, which is to long(need most likely around 20.4"). I will have to shorten it and depower it.

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: September 28, 2023, 4:17 pm 

I depowered a '95 Miata rack and paired it with same year Miata uprights. I was concerned it would be too slow, but now that the car is 'finished' I'm completely happy with the ratio. If I were building a high powered autocross only car I would give some thought to a quicker rack, but outside of that I don't have a want for anything different.

Last edited by RTz on September 30, 2023, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 28, 2023, 11:18 pm 

Will keep an eye out for a miata rack, I may deep dive into some rack specs to see how the 3.5 lock to lock high travel racks move for same wheel rotation. Would be interested to see the specs for NC racks

PostPosted: September 29, 2023, 11:30 am 

It is 2.7 and 15.0:1 ratio.
I have just got the whole column with steering wheel (w/blown airbag), and stalks.
I wanted to go with these, because has height adjustment and is less than 3.5 turns.

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: October 9, 2023, 12:40 am 

Went with a NA miata rack because the mounts looked easier than the NB ones. Will have to see if there is anyone local who will re-thread the rod after I cut it down. The labor rates and workloads of shops out here seems to be lowcost prohibitive. a bit pointless to enlist the help of a machine shop if they charge 120 minimum just to set up a machine, plus labor time

PostPosted: October 9, 2023, 9:28 am 

Sadly, this minimum charge phenomenon seems to be spreading. It's getting hard to find shops of all kinds that will take on a small job, or give you an estimate free of charge. This notion of a "diagnostic fee" for even preparing a repair estimate is growing.

PostPosted: October 9, 2023, 10:08 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Lonnie-S wrote:
... This notion of a "diagnostic fee" for even preparing a repair estimate is growing.

We were going to have a company quote to tent our home for termites, and they said that an inspection is $90. I said that no inspection is needed because I know they're there. Nope, they have to do an inspection. Okay, so is the $90 refundable if we go through with it? No...

Okay, thank you, have a nice day.

PostPosted: November 17, 2023, 10:25 pm 

I'm dealing with finding out I'll need to swap to a rear steer setup because of space constraints in my car (wilwood spindles so can be either front or rear steer). I've found that if you need a rear steer rack and don't want to deal with shortening a rack, you can use either a 88-93 Chevy Cavalier rack, or a 02-06 Acura RSX rack. The have center take-offs where you can make an adapter where the inner tie rods will bolt to so you can adjust the bump steer to be perfect.

The cavalier racks are either hydraulic or manual. Manual is 2.83 turns lock to lock, hydraulic is 2.66. They also run a 11/16-36 spline input shaft on the rack.

The RSX racks are all hydraulic (easily bypassed with a hard line or hose) and are 2.63 turns lock to lock for the base model and 2.59 turns for a type-s. They run a 17mm-36 spline input shaft (toyota steering shaft if you want to look it up). With the RSX racks you may want to swap to a delrin or aluminum aftermarket slider if it gets spongy at all, they are under $80 for the aftermarket slider.

FYI http://www.woodwardsteering.com/ has a lot of oddball stuff and can make lots of steering shafts combinations or u-joint combinations.

PostPosted: November 19, 2023, 7:23 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Use the intermediate steering shaft that is attached to the donor rack. I documented depowering the gm rear steer center tap rack on my diesel reverse trike build. Hydraulic racks should be relieved of the shaft valve sealing ability so they can't air lock with capped lines and be greased to replace the atf.

Tie rods can be flipped in order to place the rack as high as possible since the optimum rack width increases the higher it is mounted.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12