LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steering wheel size?
PostPosted: November 26, 2023, 11:33 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Regarding a quick-disconnect, I recommend "don't ask, don't tell" regarding the legality. Just get one that isn't brightly colored and it probably won't be noticed. As for whether one is even needed, I thought that as well, until the car was complete enough to sit in. I guarantee you that it's 100% necessary to get out, and 98% required to get in. So don't go volunteering unasked-for information at inspection time, because worst case, it could render the car unusable if they say it's not allowed (though it could always -cough - be added later after inspection - cough).

If someone decides to install a quick release wheel, I agree with the "don't ask, don't tell", as not to give the inspector an excuse to choose to ding you on it. Kurt, I can totally see your point regarding the necessity of the quick release wheel in your Midlana, but the sides on a Locost are considerably lower than the Midlana. Although it was more difficult getting into and out of my Locost than a normal car, I had a fixed 13" wheel and managed fine. Picture for reference:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 26, 2023, 11:45 pm 

I don't have the dash/scuttle yet, but I push my axx up on the seat backrest, about half way, and a can get in/out easily. My feet is on the frame cross bar, in front of the seat.
I won't install a QR initially, just that at the inspection and I won't have any issue with it.
Maybe later on, if I need it, I can still install it.
I'm planning to cut out the middle part of the MX5 steering wheel, make it round and use the mini mill dividing feature on the digital readout, to make the hole pattern.
I may need a spacer made for it, but I will see when I get there. Wheel was ordered, waiting now.

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: November 27, 2023, 1:51 am 

tibimakai wrote:
I don't have the dash/scuttle yet, but I push my axx up on the seat backrest, about half way, and a can get in/out easily. My feet is on the frame cross bar, in front of the seat.
I won't install a QR initially, just that at the inspection and I won't have any issue with it.
Maybe later on, if I need it, I can still install it.
I'm planning to cut out the middle part of the MX5 steering wheel, make it round and use the mini mill dividing feature on the digital readout, to make the hole pattern.
I may need a spacer made for it, but I will see when I get there. Wheel was ordered, waiting now.

Rather than cutting out the middle of the MX5 steering wheel, were you not able to find an aftermarket steering wheel adapter that works with the MX5?

PostPosted: November 27, 2023, 1:55 am 

I have found, but they are not locost prices. Daiken $210, just the hub.
I'm a machinist by trade, I can't spend that kind of money, on something that I can make myself.
If I really want, I could machine the whole thing myself.

Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: November 27, 2023, 11:32 am 

For $175 (currently on sale) that's not a bad price.
I'm still juggling ideas for a smaller wheel in the Midget, this one for be a candidate.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: December 1, 2023, 1:06 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Tibor, what model mill do you have? I've been looking at an industrial drill press (MT3 with room for a draw bar) to fit a worm drive for the quill.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 1, 2023, 3:18 pm 

I have a tiny Grizzly mini mill.
You are talking about a Bridgeport style one?

Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: December 1, 2023, 3:48 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Similar looking but not quite that big. This would be about 700 lbs versus around 2000.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 1, 2023, 4:04 pm 

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzl ... wEQAvD_BwE

Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: December 2, 2023, 11:22 am 

@tibimakai
@MV8

Sorry to hijack this thread, but finding and using machinery probably should be a topic here on LocostUSA. I have a mini-mill very similar (probably the same machine, but from Harbor Freight) as Tibor. My frustration with it, and the Harbor Freight mini-lathe I have is they can't take off much metal on each pass.

On soft metal like aluminum, you can take off maybe 6 thousandths per pass, but on mild steel perhaps only 3-4 per pass. That is so slow if you're doing some real world part rather than a hobby part in brass or something.

I've noticed that resale prices on machinery in my area, at least on Craig's List, are falling. You can get some older, real machine shop gear at just about the price of new mini stuff. My only concern is evaluating the condition and accuracy of the used gear. I don't feel competent to do that. Looks can be deceiving.

In my area there are machinery movers who will move big stuff for you, so I don't worry about that. It's just knowing if the machines are actually good enough for my humble work.

Maybe we need a topic on here about how to find and evaluate such machinery?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 2, 2023, 5:25 pm 

You could upgrade the motor, to a stronger one. I have upgraded the mini mill motor to a 600W for very cheap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndhsCeuEv-4
I did the motor mount in a much easier way, just adding some small aluminum blocs to support it.
I added the emergency stop as well, but to tell you the truth, I never use it.
It looks like that allelectronics place is not in business anymore.
Also I have added the Littlemachineshop.com pulley system, making it much quieter and smoother running.
Added an RPM readout, that is a few bucks.
Also added a digital readout(DRO) for all three axis, not expensive either.
About the lathe, I have picked up a new Ebay 8.9"x23.6" 1000W brushless lathe, for around $1000, after some discount, because had some issues.
I don't recommend them at all, unless you rebuild it from the get go. Both ways(X axis) are not parallel, they are off a few thousands from each other at opposite sides.
I had to use a sand paper on a block, and I had to sand off the excess material at the bottom of the ways(for quite a long time), which are not even smooth(!). It is still not perfect, but it is usable.
The tailstock bore it was unusable, the hole it was machined from both sides and they were not concentric to each other. I had to bore it out and make a bronze insert sleave to fix it. I'm lucky, because I could do all of this at my workplace. Otherwise I would have been screwed badly.
Watch a few videos on Youtube about this. I remember there is an Australian Youtuber, who is very good in explaining how he fixed his machine.
It needs a lot of reworking/shimming to be acceptable. Parting off is almost impossible, it rattles like hell. I'm using a .063" parting tool, and even that one rattles.
I know that is tempting to get a new lathe, but I don't recommend them at all. The harbor Freight one, is way to small for anything imho.
To have something decent, I would recommend Precision Matthews machines, but they are more expensive, I believe Grizzly has some similar ones as well. The guy is on machining forums as well.
With older used machines, it is tricky, because they could be worn out after all these years of use, or rusted. There is no easy way to tell, if they are still in good working condition, you would need test indicators to take some measurements, to be sure. You could move the saddle at both ends, to see, if they are much tighter there, than at the area where it is mostly used. If there is a big difference, then move on. Same goes with a mill. It means, that in that area is a dip in the ways and it needs redone.
I also added DRO to my mini lathe, a separate DRO for the tailstock, made out of a digital caliper. Used a worktable 1.5" thick butcher block style top (free from work), and cut it to my toolchest size and placed the lathe on top of it. Also added some scrap Aluminum blocks from work, to raise it a bit for easier cleaning in the pan. A bit to high overall, but usable.
I can actually cut decent cuts with it, in steel. Even .100" cuts. I swapped the tool holder with a wedge lock style one(the only style that I would recommend in this price range), found it cheap on Ebay, sold by a university slightly used. I get my tool holders from Amazon. Accusize brand is very nice for the money.

Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: December 2, 2023, 5:25 pm 

You could upgrade the motor, to a stronger one. I have upgraded the mini mill motor to a 600W for very cheap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndhsCeuEv-4
I did the motor mount in a much easier way, just adding some small aluminum blocs to support it.
I added the emergency stop as well, but to tell you the truth, I never use it.
It looks like that allelectronics place is not in business anymore.
Also I have added the Littlemachineshop.com pulley system, making it much quieter and smoother running.
Added an RPM readout, that is a few bucks.
Also added a digital readout(DRO) for all three axis, not expensive either.
About the lathe, I have picked up a new Ebay 8.9"x23.6" 1000W brushless lathe, for around $1000, after some discount, because had some issues.
I don't recommend them at all, unless you rebuild it from the get go. Both ways(X axis) are not parallel, they are off a few thousands from each other at opposite sides.
I had to use a sand paper on a block, and I had to sand off the excess material at the bottom of the ways(for quite a long time), which are not even smooth(!). It is still not perfect, but it is usable.
The tailstock bore it was unusable, the hole it was machined from both sides and they were not concentric to each other. I had to bore it out and make a bronze insert sleave to fix it. I'm lucky, because I could do all of this at my workplace. Otherwise I would have been screwed badly.
Watch a few videos on Youtube about this. I remember there is an Australian Youtuber, who is very good in explaining how he fixed his machine.
It needs a lot of reworking/shimming to be acceptable. Parting off is almost impossible, it rattles like hell. I'm using a .063" parting tool, and even that one rattles.
I know that is tempting to get a new lathe, but I don't recommend them at all. The harbor Freight one, is way to small for anything imho.
To have something decent, I would recommend Precision Matthews machines, but they are more expensive, I believe Grizzly has some similar ones as well. The guy is on machining forums as well.
With older used machines, it is tricky, because they could be worn out after all these years of use, or rusted. There is no easy way to tell, if they are still in good working condition, you would need test indicators to take some measurements, to be sure. You could move the saddle at both ends, to see, if they are much tighter there, than at the area where it is mostly used. If there is a big difference, then move on. Same goes with a mill. It means, that in that area is a dip in the ways and it needs redone.
I also added DRO to my mini lathe, a separate DRO for the tailstock, made out of a digital caliper. Used a worktable 1.5" thick butcher block style top (free from work), and cut it to my toolchest size and placed the lathe on top of it. Also added some scrap Aluminum blocks from work, to raise it a bit for easier cleaning in the pan. A bit to high overall, but usable.
I can actually cut decent cuts with it, in steel. Even .100" cuts. I swapped the tool holder with a wedge lock style one(the only style that I would recommend in this price range), found it cheap on Ebay, sold by a university slightly used. I get my tool holders from Amazon. Accusize brand is very nice for the money.

Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: December 2, 2023, 6:21 pm 

Lonnie, in machining, mass is your friend. Generally speaking, the heavier the machine the heavier cuts you can take. My 12x36 lathe is 1100lbs and can take .150" cuts in aluminum (.300" diameter). My 2300lb knee mill can do even better. Buy the biggest machine you can justify.

Last edited by RTz on December 2, 2023, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 2, 2023, 6:21 pm 

dupe.

PostPosted: December 2, 2023, 6:43 pm 

I completely agree. When looking for a lathe, look at the weight of the machine, the more the better.
At work we started with a 12x30(36?!) Bolton lathe and it was decent, I hated that the tailstock had only a bit over 2" travel, and for threading I had to change gears. But otherwise, I made thousands and thousands of parts on it, for quite a few years.
Now, we have an Acra 1440 gear head lathe, and one Southbend from Grizzly which is electronic, both are very good machines(Made in Taiwan). No deburring needed after purchase :D

Locost/442E in progress

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next