LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 16, 2022, 10:06 pm 

The Staniforth Terrapins have intrigued me a lot lately - been thinking what to do about it, since I don't have a Mini:

1) Finding a cheap Mini donor seems highly unlikely.

2) Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift seems like a better idea. Or Ford Festiva/Aspire. Rarely see any of those anymore, but they're about the right size...

3) (Deleted - bad idea).

4) (Deleted - even worse idea).

I have a motorcycle project to finish before another project gets started - more motivation to get that done....

I have the latest HSLC book, but I've been trying to find a source for Terrapin Mk5 plans - no luck thus far in reaching the usual sources. But if that book and "Race and Rally Car Source Book" (On hand) are helpful enough, the project car should design itself. A hearty "Thank you!" to the forum for posting my "WTB" (I'm not allowed to respond directly to that post - attempts are in moderation limbo).

Last edited by RoHorn on December 29, 2022, 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: December 18, 2022, 12:37 am 

RoHorn wrote:
The Staniforth Terrapins have intrigued me a lot lately...I have the latest HSLC book...
A fairly obscure design on this side of the pond...and this century too. I forget which edition of the HSLC book I have (late '60s or early '70s), but I've asked around and most folks in these parts never heard of it. So to pull folks into the fold, I recommend telling them what HSLC stands for, and a few pics of Terrapins would go over well too I think.

Cheers, Jack

PostPosted: December 18, 2022, 1:00 am 

Gallery: http://www.terrapinracing.co.uk/gallery.html

Olde discussion from Over There: https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewth ... p?tid=7985

The closest I've gotten to a set of Mk5 plans: https://www.16vminiclub.com/forum/build ... e-terramin

The Other Book:

Last edited by RoHorn on December 18, 2022, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 18, 2022, 1:19 am 

When I looked into this a while back I found that the concept is still alive but modern iterations may not be Mini powered.
The AU guys seemed to be most active recently.
I actually bought two Geo Metros for this but ended up selling most of the parts due to already having sixteen project cars, I am now down to only twelve. :wink:
Rusty or banged up Geo's can be had cheap and even if the engine needs a rebuild that is amazingly inexpensive so long as you do not need a HP cam.
Geo 1.0 is much lighter than the Mini and makes more power.
Trans is a five speed with OD top gear.
It is possible to back-date them to run on a carb.
If I ever get a 3D printer I plan to make a Weber DCOE intake, "Just Because".

PostPosted: December 18, 2022, 11:38 am 

Thanks for the post, RoHorn.

My fellow Locosters: This is the book that created the Locost concept (buy a cool book, build a cool car), there had been lots of hot rod DIY books (and still are) but I don't know of predecessors to this one for a genuine Build a Competitive Hill Climber/Road Racer book. The car itself is more of a primitive (it was half a decade ago; I can use that word without offending the Spirit of Staniforth) Midlana than a Locost, but hey, the first edition was in 1969, the MIG welding process was still in laboratories, things have improved for us homebuilders since then. I was surprised the Terrapin didn't have a revival when the Geo Metro came out.

PostPosted: December 18, 2022, 12:04 pm 

@RoHorn

A couple of comments.

Those plans shown in the tread you referenced (. . .16vminiclub. . . ) look very professional. Have you tried asking on that site (or other UK/Aus sites) if anyone has a copy? It's likely that the copyright has expired, and they could be copied or digitized if someone has good originals.

You mentioned a motorcycle project, so I'm assuming you have some experience and interest in motorcycles. Have you seen the book "How to Build Motorcycle-engined Racing Cars?" It isn't a specific set of plans, but more about the design issues and available technologies. It's very modern, and you would probably enjoy it just as a read even if it didn't motivate you to build your own design.
Attachment:
MC-Engined Racing Cars.jpg

I bought a copy just because I thought it was interesting, which it is. You can still get it online. I got mine of Amazon, but there are other sources.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 18, 2022, 4:21 pm 

That's a neat book - had a copy about 7 years ago when I was wondering how the other half lived and was looking for fresh ideas for the next (now current) motorcycle project. It introduced me to cut & fold honeycomb construction, which intrigued me enough to get a surface treated Nordam drop off of eBay for dirt cheap to...fondle and stare at. Had to study a lot about bonding aluminum. Not sure I'll ever use that construction technique, but it is good to know.

It also introduced me to the concept of flexural pivots for suspensions - not a lot out there on that subject. Loads of cool example pictures, but what I really wanted to know a lot more about was the differential - other than a basic "Yes it needs one and it can be done", there was no helpful information. Sold it soon afterwards. Might have to get another copy and see what I missed...

Lots of reasons to run a bike engine - I have decades of experience with them (In bikes, oddly enough) - I'd rather run a car engine in a car for convenience/laziness reasons.

I've tried all of the Terrapin plans source leads that I could find (And that "MiataV8' " posted - thanks!), but no responses, yet. The "Jawfish" Terrapin forum seems moribund - no response to a membership request sent several weeks ago. No responses from Rob Macknay from any of the email leads yet. Might just need patience - this isn't killing me....

At least one Mk5 is still active: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibVkPkZ5ENU

Last edited by RoHorn on December 19, 2022, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 19, 2022, 12:03 am 

Regarding <How to Build Motorcycle-Engined Racing Car>, I had exactly the same reaction as RoHorn, for exactly the same reason:
RoHorn wrote:
...what I really wanted to know a lot more about was the differential - other than a basic "Yes it needs one and it can be done", there was no helpful information.
That seemed to me like a significant concept to include in a book of that title and nature, but instead it said (if I may paraphrase) Send a thousand pounds to Quafe and tell them you want one. I haven't looked at my copy of that book in perhaps a decade, but I do remember feeling foolish for assuming it would include how to build the one unusual component, the one thing that's not expected to be found in motorcycle how-to books OR Build a Car From Car Parts books: the part that goes between the motorcycle engine and the race car and makes them work together.

PostPosted: December 19, 2022, 8:37 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I remember Jack mentioning this before about a lack of info. I don't know that we have the same book.

I have Tony Pashley's 2008 "How to build motorcycle-engined racing cars" by Veloce Publishing. This book covers many details on adapting auto diffs to chain drive for adjustment methods, access, and servicing with no mention of Quaife.

A Terrapin MK5 is basically the same config as a number of UK kits over the years such as the Sylva Auto Kits, Ltd Mojo, Riot, Vectis, J15, etc though plans are not sold and the closest thing currently available is the Riot Classic. Seems MK is only interested in selling traditional drivetrain layout cars.
https://www.totalkitcar.com/2016/04/07/ ... ges-hands/
https://www.riotcars.co.uk/riots-classic/

Since it is cost prohibitive to import even a used ebay kit, I'd pick up a good running zx2 or focus for around $1000 with body damage, then source another ifs from the salvage yard for $200 and build around those parts whatever will work emission wise under your State's code (such as a '50's "replica").

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 19, 2022, 9:57 am 

My 2010 version of that book has several examples of differentials starting on page 20. It talks more about what's available, or what the author would use, rather than containing construction drawings. Nevertheless, it could get you started on the path of discovering a vendor, or building your own.

Over the last few years, I've seen photos on Pinterest of chain type differentials, mostly for high powered go karts, but some larger racing cars too. Pinterest is all photos, but often the photos link to articles or companies that deal with the subject of the photo in detail. If you're looking, it would be worth a quick search or two to see what turns up.

Cheers,

PostPosted: December 20, 2022, 12:40 am 

RoHorn, PM me your email.
I may have something for you.

PostPosted: December 20, 2022, 12:43 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I borrowed a copy of Staniforth's book, returned it, and ordered my own signed copy directly from the author. I was thrilled to speak to him by phone, and let him know that he was a big part of why I built Kimini, (and later, Midlana). I thought it important to "close the loop" and let him know that what he did mattered to a lot of people.

PostPosted: December 20, 2022, 1:19 am 

That's cool! Allan had a gift for writing.

Oh yes - your work is amazing!

PostPosted: February 17, 2023, 9:13 pm 

Rob Macknay's contact info on the Locostbuilders UK site ( https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/member ... in_racing/ ) is current. Ordered a set of plans and got the book as well from Rob, who was very helpful - they arrived yesterday from England. Much to think about....

In addition to the suggestions above for the Metro and ZX2 drivetrains, the Mk1 Fiesta drivetrain seems like it could be suitable. It also seems like it might be getting hard to find, but I only need one, maybe. Having a Terrapin and Locost, both with old Ford 1600 crossflow engines, would be my idea of fun.

Oh yes - would an early '70's Pinto with a 1600 crossflow and 4-speed be a suitable donor for a Locost project? Those aren't quite as hard to find...

PostPosted: February 17, 2023, 11:08 pm 

@RoHorn
So, are you building a single seat or two seat version of the Terrapin? Is it based on the original plans or are they for an updated version based on a more modern driveline?

Cheers,