LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 14, 2013, 5:58 am 

Some years ago I heard whispers that kit cars would have to have air bags in the USA from 2014 onwards so got me thinking not only is this going to knock quite a few manufacturers off the market but how would I go about resolving this issue myself at minimum cost?

Suzuki's Alto (second Gen) is now 30 years old and is still made new in China albeit by a small company now and still quite cheap to buy new - and has airbags!

So I figure, take a brand new Alto and turn it into a mid engine monster. Benefits are everything forward of the front seats is a brand new car full of OEM goodness, the little things that are important, wipers, trim, heater, dash and all wiring/switches etc etc. - and yes, i would use the leftover Alto drivetrain/running gear for the 3 wheeler idea ..

This is a thought I've had pretty much ever since I arrived in Dragonland and saw my first Alto but now that I have sketchup and can whip stuff like this up in a matter of hours to see the results, I did!

It's just an idea at the moment but what do you think? I reckon I could have these for sale at around $12K and all you would have to do is put your own VW engine in (I can supply a VW longitudinal transaxle easy enough, millions of them here and almost every VW engine has the same bellhousing pattern, 20 valve turbo for example!), wheels and tires and away you go ...

Alto's are tiny btw, about the same size as an original Mini and yes it smacks of Kimini but that's not where the idea came from.

Attachment:
chop 1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 14, 2013, 7:45 am 

Oh and then there's this similar creation from which I photoshopped the flares and wheels from ..

http://jalopnik.com/5390195/lazareth-re ... -v8-trophy

http://tuning.autobild.de/renault/twing ... ning/2100/

PostPosted: October 14, 2013, 10:14 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Think, "Renault R5 Turbo"

PostPosted: October 14, 2013, 10:50 am 

I like it. But then I have always likes the micro-car scene.

But getting it licensed here in the US might be problematic. It would probably be looked at as a non-compliant (emissions and collision) foreign late-model vehicle with a body kit and re-engined. If you can get it thru customs, it might be licensed at state level as a "specially constructed vehicle" here but would still have to meet all emission requirements, at least in Illinois, I think. Even if one were to obtain a titled and license, it might be an issue if they ever moved to another state. Gosh, I'd really like to see some of this stuff covered by national law instead of 51 different states + Wash DC with different requirements. (Really? Did I just say that?) :BH: then there is canada and other countries. I cant speak for them either.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 14, 2013, 12:15 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Think, "Renault R5 Turbo"

5 Turbo, of which I have sat in one and made 'vroom vroom' noises, are of the box flare style and haven't aged very well either IMO.

This is more along the lines of German DTM wheel flare style.

PostPosted: October 14, 2013, 12:17 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
If you can get it thru customs, it might be licensed at state level as a "specially constructed vehicle" here but would still have to meet all emission requirements, at least in Illinois, I think.

It was always the intention it was a kit car. Use a late VW engine for emissions.

Thanks.

PostPosted: October 24, 2013, 10:24 pm 

I for one like it!