LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 17, 2024, 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 21, 2015, 12:59 am 
Toyotaphobe

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530093.200-lasers-set-to-zap-engines-into-running-more-efficiently.html?cmpid=RSS|NSNS|2012-GLOBAL|tech#.VOd46CzLLud

One day I guess they'll finally produce them. I know this is one of the things Mazda has used to build the "next" rotary. They've said that with these and direct injection it's a clean burning engine and has a (relatively) broad torque band.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 24, 2015, 9:14 am 
We are Slotus!

Interesting article... But they didn't quite say how the laser "ignites the fuel in the middle of the [combustion] chamber." I'm imagining a laser beam (like in James Bond movies) that shoots downward into the cylinder. Seems like it would damage something.
Hmmm.... More research is needed...

And then that last bit about shipping companies. If they're talking about reducing the emissions from the propulsion engines of their cargo ships, wouldn't those be diesel engines? Laser glow plugs, anybody?

Still, interesting technology. Soon as they're available at Rock Auto, I'll buy a set for the Slotus.
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom