LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alfa Type 33 Periscopo
PostPosted: January 21, 2020, 12:24 am 

I’m almost finished a big project and wondered what my ultimate car would look like. I’d have to build it from scratch, it would have to perform (go like stink and turn and stop on a dime)and it has to be locost.

So I came up with a tribute to Alfa Type 33, regularly voted one of the most beautiful cars ever built. There were only 18 in total so it’s not like replicating a 64 MGB. The Alfa has a 2 litre twin cam V8 and that’s unobtanium so I looked at the options and ended up with a Mazda RX8 twin rotor that revs to 10000 rpm and about the same power level. The suspension is very nice and low weight so both front and rear will be part of the car. Power will go through a Boxster 5 speed and both the engine are light weight, with the engine at 276 lbs dressed and the transaxle at 91 lbs. overall the weight goal is 700 kg, the same as the original type 33. I’m at the chassis stage now and pretty sure it will be a Docol tube frame with an S glass tub. I’m familiar with fabricating tube and have a bit of experience moulding fibre glass too. I’m hoping to learn here how the minimum bits of tube will yield the results I want. After that’s done then I’ll go to work on the body. Time line to completion -2years. I only work during the warm weather months, I’m from Ontario Canada.[img][img][/img][/img]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 21, 2020, 8:39 am 
We are Slotus!

Wow, that is one sexy lookin' car!!! How-some-ever... I have to kinda wonder about a 2-year schedule. If you do it, great, but don't push yourself until you take all the "fun" out of it. The journey really IS the destination. Enjoy the trip.

Good luck on your build, keep us posted. Lotsa pictures!

:cheers:
Peace, Love and "10 Years and Then Some"--
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 21, 2020, 9:37 am 

For what its worth:

https://classicalfa.com/classic-alfa-ne ... -body-set/

Thom

PostPosted: January 21, 2020, 3:05 pm 

I liked the Periscopo 33 for the open air experience. I live in the district of Muskoka in Ontario and we are blessed with twistiest nicest roads in the province. I sold my Boxster and regretted it the next day. As it’s said , ‘It’s more fun driving a fast car slow than it is to drive a slow car fast’, and doing it while the wind is blowing around your head even more so.

I figure I’ll buy a decent RX 8 and drive my donor while organizing the other stuff. I’ll build a dedicated fab shop for the chassis as I don’t want to mess up my clean shop and use the clean shop to construct the body work and similar.

As for setting a timeline, 2 years is a soft target, who the hell knows.