LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: riveted carbon fiber tub
PostPosted: September 2, 2022, 12:03 am 

So are there any more example of this https://www.wirewheel.com/inventory/sold/1997-acura-nsxr-gt2-/

PostPosted: September 2, 2022, 2:37 am 

Not a pure carbon fiber chassis, "bonded to the factory seam welded chassis".
Similar to what Lotus did for the S1 Europa.

PostPosted: September 2, 2022, 2:41 am 

no one suggested it was a "pure carbon fiber chassis" but as for the s1 lotus isn't that just a steel backbone chassis with a fiberglass body mounted to it?

PostPosted: September 2, 2022, 4:22 am 

The McLaren F1 road car has rivets visible in the tub. One of the engineers on the project told me the pop-rivets were used on structural bond joints. Cherry aerospace rivets were used for the chassis to floor bond joints and solid countersunk aluminium rivets were used around the higher loaded sections of the a-pillar bond joints

There should not be any compression damage around the rivet as there are rivets designed for use with composite materials.

Composite bond joints are excellent when subjected to shear loads but if they are subjected to peel loads then not so good. The idea of using the rivets was to improve safety ie to prevent the peel loads as well as clamping while bonding.

The F1 is a stunningly strong car, think it was the first car ever that could have been driven away after the 30mph frontal impact test had it beedn a drive-able car before being slammed into the wall

https://youtu.be/S64SeH4COFk

The F1 chassis/bodywork was all hand drawn and hand made, no CAD and no CNC but with the monocell everything is done using CAD and CNC machined which improves accuracy which in turn allows for more complex geometry to be co-cured/bonded using larger component parts so it's possible to design out most of the bond joints.

A resin injection moulded chassis will be heavier than an auto-claved moulded chassis but the resin injected chassis would be made in a fraction of the time at less cost.

PostPosted: September 2, 2022, 9:37 pm 

Kinetic Research wrote:
The McLaren F1 road car has rivets visible in the tub.

I am a huge fan of the McLaren f1 but I never knew they used rivets on the tub, was it on the underside of the tub? Because i have to be honest i haven't seen them

PostPosted: September 3, 2022, 1:33 am 

The F1 chassis was made in sections then bonded together as shown in photo.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 3, 2022, 1:37 am 

Lotus Europa S1 (First series) bonded the body tub to the chassis 'For the ultimate in rigidity'.
Insurance companies were not happy and later production use bolted on bodies.

PostPosted: September 3, 2022, 4:07 am 

I am planning to bond my composite panels to my spaceframe same as the lotus, going to use a rubberised epoxy so that the joint has a bit of give but still transfers loads well.

PostPosted: September 3, 2022, 4:16 am 

I am aware the McLaren f1 tub was made from multiple parts that were bonded together but like my post said I had no idea they used rivets to until you mention it. I have been looking at different options to replace the rusty floor on one of my cars and am considering different approaches to it when I came across the nsx on my first post I thought that was a pretty interesting design. Also nice photo Kinetic Research :cheers: