LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 4:47 pm 

I like the pics want2race posted. even drilled for weight savings. seems link a viable solution. I wouldn't build anything without having a driveshaft to check clearance with though.

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 8:50 pm 

You're pretty much going to have to use a ppf or something similar. I wouldn't be concerned of the weight, it's made from aluminum. So after cutting it to fit it should weigh even less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 9:26 pm 

So if I understand this correctly, controlling the movement (rotation) of the diff is the primary concern here.

I suppose then that it isn't critical to connect it to the transmission, you could just as well bolt it to the tranny tunnel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 11:36 pm 
Is it used to locate and as a secondary function cancel vibrations? if the secondary vibrations is a partial reason then I would shorten and bolt up as stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26, 2006, 6:12 am 

THAWA wrote:
You're pretty much going to have to use a ppf or something similar. I wouldn't be concerned of the weight, it's made from aluminum. So after cutting it to fit it should weigh even less.

Ok, so after you cut the aluminum PPF, you now have to weld it back together....how is that stronger than making a new one? I can't weld aluminum, but I'm sure some people can.

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26, 2006, 10:35 am 

It may or may not be, depending on your welding skills. But if your welding is questionable, have someone else do it. You wouldn't weld the chassis together with steel tubing if you couldn't do it properly would you? The other idea is just cutting it to fit. I think one of the sides is the same size all the way down, so you just have to make sure the new place where it bolts is acceptable.

Bolting the diff to the chassis would make that part of the chassis a stressed member, and isn't the tranny tunnel supposed to be 3/4"? If it can take the torque it's a good place to mount it. Maybe see what can be done to allows the force to travel somewhere else, or use bigger tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2006, 4:10 pm 

I'm glad I found this thread - I thought I was going mad. I was sure I had posted I reply in my build diary, but it disappeared. :?

The pictures of the lightened square tube are exactly what I have in mind, but using angle iron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2006, 8:53 pm 
WE just testing level of awareness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29, 2006, 8:05 pm 

Well my version of a diff mount is finished. More details on its construction are in my build log. I accomplished my goal of staying out of the tunnel and thus having to widen it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29, 2006, 11:20 pm 

I dunno. Even with the bracing at the bottom, it's still feeding a lot of torque into the middle of the top tube. Maybe add a few more tubes to transfer the load away. Then again, i might just be too cautious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29, 2006, 11:28 pm 

THAWA wrote:
I dunno. Even with the bracing at the bottom, it's still feeding a lot of torque into the middle of the top tube. Maybe add a few more tubes to transfer the load away. Then again, i might just be too cautious.

I figured the load would be shared equally by the top and bottom braces but I a no engineer. And yes there will be more bracing on that top cross tube.

There is only one way to tell if it will work- 5k rpm clutch dumps with R compounds. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29, 2006, 11:35 pm 

atta boy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27, 2006, 10:53 pm 

Here is Westfield's solution:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28, 2006, 12:35 am 

So Coveland boasts a "Special" frame for Miata donor builds. Is that what is different about it?

2000 Plymouth Neon
1999 Beetle
1999 Cherokee
1990 Eclipse
1989 Jaguar Vanden Plas

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28, 2006, 12:48 pm 

-DOUG- wrote:
So Coveland boasts a "Special" frame for Miata donor builds. Is that what is different about it?

It is set up for the Miata rear suspension unlike the book chassis which is made for a solid rear axle.