LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 15, 2024, 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: solar power
PostPosted: April 23, 2014, 10:04 pm 

WOW!!!

didn't mean to start a war against government.

and talking of war ---------------

no seriously guys,there are things that we need government for, like education, but that now seems to be the realm of the rich as university degrees are leaving many with insurmountable student loans.

when i was at school, i was part of what was called the post war bulk, an increase in births after the second world war,thats the one against Adolf the painter, this resulted in class sizes of over 40 students, and when i went to college, there were at least 35 in the class.

no computers, no calculators and you must show the working for the answer not just the answer because you might just guess right.

i remember that spelling tests were held every day after registration.

teaching is a two way street, do teachers actually teach or just set work for students and expect them to do all the hard stuff like learning?

why is there a state government, what does it do that the federal government can't do?

why are laws different in one state as compared to another?

humor me, i am an alien.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: April 23, 2014, 11:40 pm 
Toyotaphobe

john hennessy wrote:
\

why is there a state government, what does it do that the federal government can't do?

why are laws different in one state as compared to another?

Actually there's supposed to be mostly just state government and each state was in effect a mini country with their own way of doing things. That changed mostly after the Civil War and was actually what the Civil War was mostly about. Slavery is just a red herring that's been bandied about since that time (the winners write the history books and they always portray the losers as bad & evil).

Lincoln, Roosevelt were some of the worst presidents we ever had from a historical perspective and how they "changed", there's that word again, the way the U.S. operated.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 23, 2014, 11:50 pm 

:lurking:

PostPosted: April 24, 2014, 10:32 am 

"Florida Court Rules Living “Off the Grid” Is Now Illegal" - http://viralsurvival.com/2014/02/26/court-rules-living-off-the-grid-is-now-illegal/

PostPosted: April 24, 2014, 11:09 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I've been on a few survivalist forums and have no desire to see another pissed-off citizen thread, especially on a Locost forum.

One thing I saw a lot of in those forums was how they pass around links regarding bad government, yet the links always go to other survivalists forums. They ended up being a closed-world narcissistic roundtable discussion, where everyone took turns saying how pissed they were, filtering out only data supportive of their myopic views. A long way of saying: bad science. And don't get me started on the End Timers, EOTWAWKI, and SHTF crowd... :roll:

PostPosted: April 24, 2014, 11:41 am 
Toyotaphobe

KB58 wrote:
One thing I saw a lot of in those forums was how they pass around links regarding bad government, yet the links always go to other survivalists forums. They ended up being a closed-world narcissistic roundtable discussion, where everyone took turns saying how pissed they were, filtering out only data supportive of their myopic views. A long way of saying: bad science. And don't get me started on the End Timers, EOTWAWKI, and SHTF crowd... :roll:

Yeah the health fooders do the same thing. I got 3 links today to different articles about how Baking Soda is the only "drug" you needed. All the articles quoted the same off beat sources about how the magnesium in it killed cancer cells, asthma and cured the common cold. It seems people want to be right so badly that they'll grasp at any straw to prove it.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: April 24, 2014, 12:54 pm 

again, i did not intend to light a fire here,

i just seems to me that there are too many levels of government, all making laws telling me that i must do this and i can't do that, all the while taxing at every level from the federal government to my local housing association.

being european, it works differently there, each country has complete autonomy, goverment, army, taxation, laws etc. the EEC was originally for promotion of a standard ecomomic policy, however it has now morphed into the EU and several countries do not like the way it works, it has encroached on their sovrenty and that some counties like Greece are so corrupt that it affects other members economically, for example the U.K. never adopted the euro as currency and most british people given the chance would vote to leave the EU.

people in europe do not consider themselves as european but as british, german, french and so on, they view other member counties as they view other nations such as japan or china, unlike europe, U.S. citizens view themselves as Americans and re enforce this belief at almost every oppotunity with flags on display at private residences and even on workware, the reciting of the pledge of allegence every day at school, they consider themselves "from" one state or another but not a citizen of any particular state, they even will consider themselves as members of a particular ethnic origin group rather than as say Arizonans or Texans, for instance they will tell you they are half German or Mexican.

the fact that they seem to need to move from one state to another, largely for economic reasons would seem to be the reason, when the going gets tough in one state, the tough get going down the road to a different state, California has been loosing long time residents for years due to the cost of living and the influx of hispanics, all moving to Arizona or Origon and since the economic turn down Las Vegas has emptied because tourists stopped comming and the service and construction industies have collapsed, the unfinished hotel on the strip has been that way for six years.

what i am trying to say is that europeans will stay in their particular country and attempt to rectify their particular national difficulties rather than just move to somewhere they can find a better lifestyle, even if it would require them to leave th EU as a nation.

in recent year the occupants of former soviet union states have been admitted to the EU and the influx of these peoples throughout europe to counties with a better standard of living has caused severe problems with regard to the economies of original european states, imagin if Mexico was to suddenly become the 51st. state and Mexicans could just turn up in the work force how this would affect the economies of border states, it already does and this immigration is still illegal.

the guy outside your office with the leaf blower or lawn mower wears a uniform with an American flag on it but he doesn't speak English and he doesn't have a social security number, his name is jesus, his wife does the cleaning in your office when you go home at night and the state has allowed his kids to attend school and his teen aged son cannot be stopped and asked if he is illegal by a cop even if he has broken some other law, this to me would be in direct conflict with federal immigration law.

this is my reasoning behind my question, why do we have state government in a nation that clearly has the federal mindset of Americans.

PostPosted: April 24, 2014, 3:20 pm 
Toyotaphobe

We were originally set up to have more of the EU type of concept with the States having the power and their own "flavor", but that has changed over the years as politician saw a way to gain more power, control and money.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: April 24, 2014, 6:27 pm 

The Feds are trickey. Sometimes they don't dictate to the states what the states have to do; for example, when they "suggested" the 55MPH speed limit decades ago. They just say "we won't give you any federal tax dollars if you choose to go your own way" Most of the time the states follow. WIMPS!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 24, 2014, 7:10 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
again, i did not intend to light a fire here,

...*lights even bigger fire*
There is no good answer to the questions you ask. There has yet to be established a successful system of government that DOESN'T ultimately suck, because there will always be people who suck both within the government and that the government must react to. Also change is the only constant in life. Most of our problems, and the build up of all the layers of government and bureaucracy, are probably the result of some otherwise well intentioned attempt to either handle the change, to fight the change, or reverse previous attempts to handle/fight the change. But more money/power/control an organization amasses, the more susceptible those reactions to change are to Schopenhauer's rule of entropy: It doesn't matter whether you pour a spoon full of the finest wine into a barrel of sewage, or a spoon full of sewage into a barrel of the finest wine...Either way, you're stuck with a barrel of sewage.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

Last edited by Driven5 on April 24, 2014, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 24, 2014, 7:18 pm 

so when a state such as Arizona is in economic freefall due to immigration and the recesion because the feds have no control over wall street or the border, both their responsability, and the state trys to rectify the situation by being more diligent about immigration and comming up with schemes to help home owners who are upside down in their house, the federal government could stop funding in various ways if they don't like it?

o.k. it seems i am comming across as a bit racist here, this is not the case, i am a first generation immigrant, its just difficult to sneak into the U.S. when you have to come here by plane, my immigration required that i comply with the laws newly enforced after 911 which were and still are very restrictive, it also cost me personally $20,000.00 in fees and charges and took 3 years before i was granted resident status so could not work during that time, i had no credit score so had to buy a house cash and explain where i got the cash from, the same applied to any vehicles i purchased.

now compare that to someone walking across the Reo Grand in Texas, i have seen it personally, and getting work at an unscrouplous employer who doesn't pay a lot of attention to paperwork , i am some what indignent when i see the government wanting a clear path to citizenship for these people, this path already exists, i followed it to the letter at my own expense.

it is not the immigrant at fault here, they are just trying to better themselves but the law is the law and when it is abused in the way it is by people in power i have a problem.

when i watch them demonstrating in Phoenix and all you can see is Mexican flags, not the stars and stripes, i do wonder how many are here illegally and as we are now required to refer to them as undocumented immigrants, not illegal immigrants, it does inflame my rage somewhat.

Driven 5,

its like playing with matches, when something catches fire, throwing gas on it won't put it out even if you think it will starve it of oxigen.
side point here has anyone seen the new gas cans on sail now that you can't get the gas out of?

PostPosted: April 24, 2014, 7:23 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
side point here has anyone seen the new gas cans on sail now that you can't get the gas out of?
Don't even get me started on those! :rant:

PostPosted: April 24, 2014, 8:57 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Driven5 wrote:
john hennessy wrote:
Don't even get me started on those! :rant:

Yeah, but now you don't spill as much gas and pollute the atmoshphere. 8)

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: April 24, 2014, 9:54 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
Yeah, but now you don't spill as much gas and pollute the atmoshphere. 8)
That's the other half of the problem with them...The way that damned valve "works" (or doesn't) on mine, combined with the tiny fuel tank on my lawnmower, I actually end up spilling MORE gas because of it. :BH:

PostPosted: April 25, 2014, 8:27 am 

Quote:
Anybody try to drill a 3/16" dia vent hole in the handle? Then remove that stupid spring loaded valve? I've been thinking about it. That, or just going to garage sales looking for the older style.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766