LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 24, 2024, 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 3:36 pm 

That can't be serious.

PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 4:07 pm 

nick47 wrote:
That can't be serious.

The dangers of lead poisoning?

Quote:
Decades of research has shown that lead poisoning causes significant and probably irreversible damage to the brain. Not only does lead degrade cognitive abilities and lower intelligence, it also degrades a person's ability to make decisions by damaging areas of the brain responsible for "emotional regulation, impulse control, attention, verbal reasoning, and mental flexibility."

The bottom line, as Drum points out, is that "even moderately high levels of lead exposure are associated with aggressivity, impulsivity, ADHD, and lower IQ. And right there, you've practically defined the profile of a violent young offender."

Or has there been a little too much lead poisoning in this thread and people are having trouble understanding the chemistry?

PostPosted: September 7, 2017, 12:56 am 

that "even moderately high levels of lead exposure are associated with aggressivity, impulsivity, ADHD, and lower IQ. And right there, you've practically defined the profile of a violent young offender."

Unleaded gasoline began appearing in 1974. I don't know how old you are Laminar but my recollection is that North American society was quite a bit more sane in 1974 than it is today. Having said that I'm not suggesting a return to leaded gas but all of my internal combustion engines with carburetors (lawn mowers, snow blowers, chain saws, rototiller, outboard, 1962 John Deere, 1959 Fiat Abarth, etc) would love a return to old gas!

PostPosted: September 7, 2017, 1:41 am 
The voice of reason

I think the evacuation in Florida would be proceeding more smoothly with a bumper to bumper train of cars going 140 with terrified people inside. :rofl:

Plus our new robot overlord cars would bravely head back to Florida and pick up more people with no concern about their personal safety or even paint job.

I don't think leaded gas is a great idea, but I think the statistics with crimes etc. is not such a strong argument. It probably correlates with flouride in water and proximity to multi-story buildings or any number of other things...

PostPosted: September 7, 2017, 5:19 pm 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
Unleaded gasoline began appearing in 1974. I don't know how old you are Laminar but my recollection is that North American society was quite a bit more sane in 1974 than it is today.

I'd recommend reading the article. It addresses very specifically your exact concerns.

PostPosted: September 7, 2017, 6:42 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Probably far more likely to be income-related, but we're getting WAY off-topic.

PostPosted: September 10, 2017, 5:30 pm 

Well, that's just it. A million variables. But if you can get grant money, you can claim anything you want.

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 3:08 am 

nick47 wrote:
a few minor issues that are total show-stoppers. Rain, for example.

Says the Californian. lol

How about a good blanket of snow? IDK- I can't see self driving cars working in the Canadian winter in my lifetime (I'm 44)

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 10:47 am 

iadr wrote:
nick47 wrote:
a few minor issues that are total show-stoppers. Rain, for example.

Says the Californian. lol

How about a good blanket of snow? IDK- I can't see self driving cars working in the Canadian winter in my lifetime (I'm 44)

Yup, or even mud. Clean, dry pavement is a relatively easy situation, and even that isn't figured out yet. I drive mostly dirt and gravel roads for work, and I certainly don't want to be in a self driving vehicle where I need to go.
Kristian

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 11:26 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
I can't see self driving cars working in the Canadian winter in my lifetime

No way people can do this as well as a computer controlled car. People control cars with a gas pedal, brake pedal and steering wheel. A computer can control all four wheels independently.

If it gets stuck, the robot arm grabs the human by the neck and pounds it's head on the fender until it shovels the car out and puts on the chains.

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 1:05 pm 

Perhaps this is also the main reason why, when we're in a car with someone as a passenger, we'd rather drive the car ourselves — talk about trust issues. Aside from safety issues, everyone, who has built their car from scratch, would love to drive the car with their own hands first and for the years to come!

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 1:10 pm 

It is not just control of the car that is intended to be taken from us, it is also the FUEL!
As I posited in the beginning, the greenie zealots :ack: are determined to "Save us" from ourselves at any cost even if it destroys the economy and personal freedom.
New cars people actually WANT, and the automotive aftermarket, are MAJOR components of a healthy economy.
They cannot be wished into the corn field without consequences!
Most of this fantasy legislation is beyond my probable lifetime but the early steps may not be and it will certainly affect the younger members here.
The time to object is NOW, before these feculent schemes are implemented. :boxing:

LOTS of fallacies here, such as Hydrogen NOT having greater energy content than gasoline, the energy required to obtain the hydrogen, etc.
But the bottom line is still no gasoline to run classic/sporty cars.
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=1518556

Another article on utopian bids to ignore reality.
And again, no provision to allow we mere peons to keep and drive our enthusiast vehicles.
Guess we will all have to get our gas on the black-market, or steal it from the tanks of "Hybrid's".
Apparently the authors are unaware that hybrids use gasoline, and that in my observation hybrid drivers have the heaviest right foot of anyone!
http://www.ibtimes.co.in/fuelling-future-over-10-countries-do-away-petrol-diesel-cars-737368

And here is the death-knell of the English auto industry.
Doubt any Lotus would be fun to drive loaded down with batteries or a hydrogen fuel tank.
Neither will give you much range, particularly for spirited driving.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/26/world/europe/uk-diesel-petrol-emissions.html

And yes I have owned and driven propane powered vehicles which are very similar to hydrogen.
So I have some personal experience with having to haul around a heavy and oversize fuel tank.
Works kind of OK for trucks except that you lose a LOT of cargo space.
Would NOT be practical in a sports car or even my El Camino.

PostPosted: September 12, 2017, 3:38 pm 

You are concerned about destroying the economy in order to save the planet. To me, that sounds like a good trade. Is there ANYTHING more important to you than the economy? You talk about freedom, but all your concerned about is your freedom to screw up other peoples lives.

Bill

PostPosted: September 12, 2017, 4:28 pm 

I love the phrase 'save the planet'. From what? The planet's in no danger. We can trash it all we want and it's still going to go right on spinning. Eventually it'll get rid of us all and clean itself up.

PostPosted: September 12, 2017, 5:53 pm 

nick47 wrote:
I love the phrase 'save the planet'. From what? The planet's in no danger. We can trash it all we want and it's still going to go right on spinning. Eventually it'll get rid of us all and clean itself up.

So true, Nick.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next