LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cali & SB100
PostPosted: February 7, 2020, 5:37 pm 

Does anyone know if a BEC will be eligible for SB100 and if so what specifically is different than a car engine?

I know only of 1 person so far (listed in the For Sale section in San Diego) that has a BEC here. And he's not responding to PMs.

From what I'm told, with even SB100 being smog exempt, you are held to 1965 standards which requires a PCV system. And that is hard to prove on a motorcycle engine.

Not sure how it gets titled with SB100 if this is an issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

PostPosted: February 7, 2020, 6:18 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Not hard to prove at all if you keep the airbox. Street motorcycles have had pcv since 1980. The crankcase breather vents into the air filter housing.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: February 8, 2020, 12:12 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Not hard to prove at all if you keep the airbox. Street motorcycles have had pcv since 1980. The crankcase breather vents into the air filter housing.

Hm interesting. I think a lot of bikes people re-make the intake cause of the height. But at this point I think it's too complicated for me to go down that road. Oh well

PostPosted: February 15, 2020, 4:47 pm 

Anyone whos been thru the inspection process, can you tell me what needs to be on the car for CHP to pass vehicle inspection?

I want to do the bare minimum and get it inspected and pass so I can get it out of the way.

Working headlights/tail lights/turn signals/brake lights. Does it need a Reverse light?

What about fenders? I don't believe we are required to have fenders but I'm not entirely sure.

Body panels? I'm guessing body panels are not required other than the floor as there are exocets and exoskeleton cars out there.

Windshield? I've heard varying things. I don't believe CA requires a windshield but I'm not sure might depend on the officer. This one's kind of important so if anyone knows please let me know. I want to just run a small wind deflector and no windshield.

Seatbelt? Are they even required on a kit car? I plan on running harnesses but if seat belts or harnesses are not required, I'm going to push this off until later.

And of course VIN inspection for the engine and possibly trans along with the receipts.

I really can't think of anything else but if I missed something please let me know.

I want to get it to the point where its starts and you can drive it around the neighborhood real quick and then get it titled and registered so I dont want to deal with the paperwork and ticking clock on the process.

From what the CHP officer told me, it sounded like most of it was just him going thru the receipts, accounting for everything you bought and adding up the taxes and updating the DMV system live which takes about an hour or two.

From a builder's perspective I'm just curious what i need mechanically to get it passed.

Do we need an odometer?

PostPosted: February 16, 2020, 8:26 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Without following the rules, the only person that can tell you that is the inspector during the inspection.
Even if you followed the rules, it can still be a problem depending on his interpretation or possible ignorance, like any other person.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: February 16, 2020, 3:16 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I'm currently doing some blue-sky thinking about a future project. One aspect of it is (was) to use a >25 yr old car as a starting point, having read somewhere that it makes it smog exempt in California. Not true.

From a year standpoint, it's 1975 or older. The only reason I bring this up is in case someone thinks that they can get around things by starting with a (currently) 1995 car and do whatever they want. Nope. Looks like it's back to building from scratch and counting on SB100.

Oh yeah, AB-210 was to have upped that 1975 date to 1985, but it recently failed to pass. It's being appealed but I'm not holding out much hope.

PostPosted: February 17, 2020, 12:18 pm 

pancake wrote:
Anyone whos been thru the inspection process, can you tell me what needs to be on the car for CHP to pass vehicle inspection?

I want to do the bare minimum and get it inspected and pass so I can get it out of the way.

Working headlights/tail lights/turn signals/brake lights. Does it need a Reverse light?

What about fenders? I don't believe we are required to have fenders but I'm not entirely sure.

Body panels? I'm guessing body panels are not required other than the floor as there are exocets and exoskeleton cars out there.

Windshield? I've heard varying things. I don't believe CA requires a windshield but I'm not sure might depend on the officer. This one's kind of important so if anyone knows please let me know. I want to just run a small wind deflector and no windshield.

Seatbelt? Are they even required on a kit car? I plan on running harnesses but if seat belts or harnesses are not required, I'm going to push this off until later.

And of course VIN inspection for the engine and possibly trans along with the receipts.

I really can't think of anything else but if I missed something please let me know.

I want to get it to the point where its starts and you can drive it around the neighborhood real quick and then get it titled and registered so I dont want to deal with the paperwork and ticking clock on the process.

From what the CHP officer told me, it sounded like most of it was just him going thru the receipts, accounting for everything you bought and adding up the taxes and updating the DMV system live which takes about an hour or two.

From a builder's perspective I'm just curious what i need mechanically to get it passed.

Do we need an odometer?

The answer to your basic question is, "Yes, there are specific requirements, and they're written down."

I have two PDF files made from scans of documents I got from my local CHP office. They are CHP 885 and CHP 892, which are (General) Passenger Car Requirements and (SB100) Specially Constructed Vehicle Requirements. The 892 doc is the one you'll want to pay most attention to, as requirements for our vehicles vary somewhat.

However, the 885 doc has some useful input about where things must be located, sometimes things like how many lumens are required for lights, etc.

Both are updated periodically as new laws are passed. Mine are from April 2019. You can check with any CHP office to see if they remain current. They will also print you the latest ones if you request them.

If you send me a PM with your e-mail, I'll send them. The system won't let me upload a PDF file. Funny because it used to allow them.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 17, 2020, 5:46 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
pancake wrote:

Do we need an odometer?

The answer to your basic question is, "Yes, there are specific requirements, and they're written down."

I have two PDF files made from scans of documents I got from my local CHP office. They are CHP 885 and CHP 892, which are (General) Passenger Car Requirements and (SB100) Specially Constructed Vehicle Requirements. The 892 doc is the one you'll want to pay most attention to, as requirements for our vehicles vary somewhat.

However, the 885 doc has some useful input about where things must be located, sometimes things like how many lumens are required for lights, etc.

Both are updated periodically as new laws are passed. Mine are from April 2019. You can check with any CHP office to see if they remain current. They will also print you the latest ones if you request them.

If you send me a PM with your e-mail, I'll send them. The system won't let me upload a PDF file. Funny because it used to allow them.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Perfect thank you I'll def take a look at those docs but if you have them email would be great. I'll shoot you an email