LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 30, 2020, 5:19 pm 

I prefer to build a frame on the ground rather than a table.. I have some health problems and so it's easier for me to sit in a small rolling chair or a small camping stool rather than stand and lean over a table.

Has anyone built a frame on the ground? I assume it just needs to be level and sturdy. Given that a Locost frame weighs only 90-100 lbs roughly and its spread out over a large surface area.. I was thinking of just buying MDF or plywood pieces (one giant piece wont fit in my car) and then using little home depot brackets to secure them together. And put them on the ground directly with little spacers or some sort throughout under to make it level.

I would just set everything on the concrete but I don't think it's fully level and being able to sharpie and mark things on the wood is nice.

It doesn't really excite me all that much to have to construct this massive table only to get rid of it. I have no space to keep it anywhere anyway

EDIT:
I also have one of these tables https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-6-Foot ... e/46368979

They're 6 ft x 30". So two of them side by side would be 6'x'6. I can space them a feet apart in the middle and 6' x 7' and just make sure they are level.

I can either use them with legs folded directly on the floor, or with the legs apart and would shims under. I don't know the weight limit of these tables but from all the Bills tailgating games they seems sturdy enough to hold 90 lbs over 2 tables.

Not sure if the plastic will melt though if I'm not careful with welding..

PostPosted: January 30, 2020, 8:27 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Yes, you can build on the floor without a big sheet of mdf.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11384

Use deck screws and you can take it apart later.

Search "old yeller race car". It was built by a guy (Norm grabowski?) on concrete with chalk in the 50s and really upset ferrari.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 30, 2020, 11:26 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Search "old yeller race car". It was built by a guy (Norm grabowski?) on concrete with chalk in the 50s and really upset ferrari.

MV8 was close. "Old Yeller" was built by Max Balchowsky with chalk lines on the floor. Norm Grabowski is credited with inventing the "T"-Bucket street rod. Those Russian/Polish names can be confusing, but Old Yeller DID give the Italian sports car set fits!

PostPosted: January 31, 2020, 6:51 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I was so close! :BH: :ack:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 31, 2020, 7:40 am 

Missed it by thaaat much! :thmbsup: :cheers:

PostPosted: January 31, 2020, 1:39 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

pancake wrote:
...it's easier for me to sit in a small rolling chair or a small camping stool rather than stand and lean over a table...

But then you won't be seated for anything other than the upper portion of the chassis. For the majority of the build, you'll be on your knees, which, as anyone who's done it will attest, becomes very uncomfortable.

I think you'd be better off with a table height that places the middle of the chassis at arm height when seated.

PostPosted: January 31, 2020, 10:46 pm 

Of course it can be done, doesn't really matter if it's on the ground or 15' off the ground as long as you've got a flat surface.

Like Kurt suggested though, if I needed to be seated while building, I'd probably still want a table, I'd just be putting it about 2' off the ground.

PostPosted: January 31, 2020, 11:15 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I built two cars, both on tables about 30" tall. I also built a trailer - on the floor... never again.

PostPosted: February 1, 2020, 10:21 am 

User Robbovius had a couple of unique builds that I believe were done on the ground. Unfortunately, between the Great Data Crash of 2019 and Photobucket shenanigans, much of his amazing and witty documentation was lost. He hasn't updated since last summer.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13941

PostPosted: February 2, 2020, 7:01 pm 

The first chassis I built, I put up a couple of sawhorses, laid all my steel tubing across those, laid a piece of half inch plywood on top of that, shimmed level, and went for it, sliding tubes out as needed to cut and weld in. Worked just fine. I used the sheet of plywood for other stuff eventually, burn marks and all, and the sawhorses went back outside.

I envied the guys with the massive build tables, but they're a convenience, not a necessity. And they can be a problem when they're done.

I expect you might do better with the chassis raised a foot or so up, but you never know until you try.

I'm doing a fancy-ish table for my next build; a friend is contributing to the lumber costs. When I'm done I'll run the circular saw down the middle and turn a big build table into two workbenches, and he'll bring his trailer and haul them home to his workshop. Win/win.

PostPosted: February 2, 2020, 7:50 pm 

pancake, I think that you should put your build table on top of an infinitely adjustable scissor lift, then you can always have your work at the correct height for sitting down. We used them in the upholstery manufacturing plant that I ran and they are real back savers. You could build one (on the floor) as you're first project and it could be accomplished quite inexpensively.

Good luck, Bill

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 3.46.13 PM.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 3, 2020, 1:47 am 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
pancake, I think that you should put your build table on top of an infinitely adjustable scissor lift, then you can always have your work at the correct height for sitting down. We used them in the upholstery manufacturing plant that I ran and they are real back savers. You could build one (on the floor) as you're first project and it could be accomplished quite inexpensively.
Like a version of the one Bad Obsession built:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZ6eNj-IzQ

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: March 21, 2020, 6:20 pm 

Max Balchowsky with Norm Grabowski!!

Now that is worth returning for!

PostPosted: March 21, 2020, 7:17 pm 

Jason at Fireball tool does a nice video (using his welding squares) on keeping your project flat/square on uneven surface
I have 2 of his mega squares and love them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PQLbdILaSU

PostPosted: March 22, 2020, 8:19 am 

When you go to pick up your tubing for the build, get 2 sticks of Uni-strut. Uni-strut is designed to allow one tube to slide inside the 2nd tube. They come with a hole pattern already in them. Using Uni-strut for the legs would give you one inch adjustments by bolting or pinning thru the holes. That way you can vary the height to suit the area your working on. Davew