LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 7, 2019, 9:55 am 

something i've been thinking about and would appreciate feedback from the welders on here. Laying on your back on the floor and welding on a chassis. Even if I have a good ground on the chassis, what about my actual physical body laying down on the concrete floor? e.g. laying down and getting an exhaust welded up. I haven't tried it and thought about how it can be done this way and safely. Everyone is typically welding and standing in shoes so the ground through the ground clamp is the easiest path. Just wonder how that changes when your body is the ground as well...

PostPosted: January 7, 2019, 11:00 am 

Never had any issues becoming the ground in this situation. When you are on your back under the car remember to cover up, weld spatter tends to find it's way through light clothing. Getting out quickly isn't always an option.

PostPosted: January 13, 2019, 11:28 am 

Same, I have grounded myself by forgetting nozzles, touching around electrode as gun settles and elbow on tables, touching the pedal at the wrong time (that one is typically the most annoying) however I have not grounded myself out on the floor when laying on it. In fact, while going to school the booths were all separated by metal walls that all tied back into the ground and several times I would lean against them to get comfortable and to get the weld.

You see, electricity likes to be lazy. People tend to forget that electricity likes to always take the easiest path, and that path tends to be 1 inch max from the copper electrode (or tung) to the metal, not into your hand, through your body, into the ground, back up from the ground into the work piece, and then to the neg terminal. It just doesn't work that way and you should be absolutely fine, but if you are still worried, you could always cut a piece of plywood to lay on.

PostPosted: November 19, 2020, 12:49 pm 

Thoughts on Flux Core for building a chassis?

My dad has a Flux Core machine that he doesn't think he's ever even plugged in, so I could maybe score that (even temporarily), which would dramatically reduce tool costs.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: November 19, 2020, 8:04 pm 

JAMADOR wrote:
Thoughts on Flux Core for building a chassis?

My dad has a Flux Core machine that he doesn't think he's ever even plugged in, so I could maybe score that (even temporarily), which would dramatically reduce tool costs.

I tried flux core early on when I was just trying out welding on thin tube like the Locost uses. It's a problem. It is too hot a process (easy to burn through) and it requires a lot of cleanup after welding.

However, some flux core machines can be converted to MIG machines. You might want to enquire with the manufacturer of your dad's machine.. If that's not successful, a 110V MIG machine will do it. Prices have come way down now too.

Good luck,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: November 19, 2020, 9:04 pm 

Flux core has its place. IMO, go gas and never look back. It is cleaner with no need to chip slag afterwards. I weld with 0.023" solid wire and have no problem welding anything on the Locost including welding up a dedicated trailer. 0.032" is not required IMO.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 20, 2020, 12:05 pm 

I'll have to see the specs on the machine he has.
I did some reading on FC & sounds like a lot of people have issues because they have it set positive instead of negative?

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899