LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 5, 2021, 7:08 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I share your concern. The key is which info.

For example, since then, I have been working from home, picking a day to ask permission to go into the office about once every couple months. Recently, we were notified a guard caught the virus and the office would be closed for a few days to clean instead of the normal 14 days. We were not told whom of course but also not told what days they worked. When I asked how this could impact those of us that worked the last working day, I was only told "the Flight Surgeon has determined there is no concern as long as I was not within six feet of the person for over a continuous 15 minutes". Feel free to draw your own conclusion.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 5, 2021, 9:56 am 

My conclusion is not a matter of which info to believe. The "info" doesn't have to be believed to be real. Use common sense.

"the Flight Surgeon has determined there is no concern as long as I was not within six feet of the person for over a continuous 15 minutes" Following those instructions, if I was in close contact with a person 3 times in a day for 10 minutes each, those guidelines would say I was safe. How safe is that? Nobody will say. You can draw your own conclusions. My conclusions is that I was in close contact for a total of 30 minutes that day. Not good.

The 6 feet is also a gross simplification. At 6 ft 6 inches I'm safe and at 5 ft 6 inches I'm not safe. The airborne virus is not binary. It doesn't have a tape measure. Did you see the Mythbusters episode where they measured how far a sneeze went? It was well over 20 ft as I recall. I get how the general public needs simple guidelines. If they were given exponential formulas they just couldn't handle it.

The chance for me, a person in their late sixties, dying from Covid is low compared to the overall population of the USA (still too high for me). When compared to the number who have contracted Covid the chances are much higher. As if now, 9% of the USA population has had Covid and well over 500,000 people have died from it. I haven't seen statistics on how many survivors are the long haulers. Remember how Shingles reactivates the ChickenPox virus after 30-40 years. Who really knows the long term effects of getting over the Corona? This thing is too new to know.

I chose the vaccine, thank you. So does my entire family, some of whom are frontline essential workers. The only adult in my family (3 generations) that hasn't had at least the 1st shot of the vaccine is my mother-in-law who is housebound and has no access to it.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 5, 2021, 2:08 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Chuck, you seem to have been trolling for someone to shame. You seem to have completely missed my point in that the question was not answered.

There was no need for you to defend your conclusions.
I’m also trying not to make this political. There is enough of that elsewhere. Let’s keep it civil.
I only posted out of courtesy because you asked.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: March 5, 2021, 7:41 pm 

Hey MV8, if I came across as trolling that was not my intent. You are right, I did ask why some are not taking the shot. It was not a baiting question. I really wanted to know. I did use your post WRT the "rules" and how absurd some of the rules are. Not an intentional attack on you. I realized I never stated my reasonings for taking the vaccine. I thought I would add it. If that came across as picking a fight, I apologize. I should have separated it into 2 posts. I'm still trying to keep politics out of it.

BTW, I do know how you felt concerning the possibility of being hauled off for isolation/quarantine. I was in China when SARS was running rampant. Companies were checking visitors' temperatures as you entered their lobby. I asked what would happen if you had a fever. If you had a fever, you were immediately put in a separate room and the authorities were called to collect you. I am not aware it ever came to that level here in the USA. For the most part, people here were told to stay home and isolated from family, unless they were in need of medical intervention, as I recall.

Peace and good health my friend :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 6, 2021, 9:40 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

No problem Chuck. It is a moot point anyway. I expect it will be required as a term of employment.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: March 6, 2021, 11:49 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
I expect it will be required as a term of employment.

I hope you’re wrong. Not allowing people to provide for themselves unless the government gets to stick a needle in your arm is about as immoral and tyrannical as it gets. Would someone please explain the logic of this? All of the manufactures are stating that there is no evidence supporting the vaccine protecting OTHERS. If it does what it supposed to do it only protects the RECIPIENT and no one else, so what is the point in forcing it on people that don’t want it?

PostPosted: March 6, 2021, 3:27 pm 

IIRC: the courts ruled last month that government can't require we all get vaccinated. BUT private employers can require we all get vaccinated.
I'm not keen on the government mandating what can/does happen to my body (not that it doesn't already). Nor am I satisfied leaving these decisions to private employers.
... to live in interesting times.

PostPosted: March 6, 2021, 4:12 pm 

Quote:
Would someone please explain the logic of this?

Since (like any virus) a carrier is most contagious just prior to showing symptoms, reducing the possibility of people getting to a contagious state reduces risk for others (even vaccinated people are at risk, just greatly? reduced risk), in that way a vaccine "protects" others.

And recent studies show the vaccine as 60% reduction in ability to spread the disease.

Last edited by duratec7 on March 6, 2021, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 6, 2021, 5:21 pm 

wemtd wrote:
IIRC: the courts ruled last month that government can't require we all get vaccinated. BUT private employers can require we all get vaccinated.
I'm not keen on the government mandating what can/does happen to my body (not that it doesn't already). Nor am I satisfied leaving these decisions to private employers.
... to live in interesting times.

So, the government can't require it, but corporations can, eh? That's an interesting concept. Are we all just hat-doffing vassals of America, Incorporated?

Don't answer, I'm getting too political. The devil made me do it. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

P.S. My 03/08 second dose got rescheduled until 03/13 because of lack of vaccine. :cry: I guess I'll have to walk among you untreated ones for another week. :rofl:

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 7, 2021, 9:48 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

RTz wrote:

I hope you’re wrong. Not allowing people to provide for themselves unless the government gets to stick a needle in your arm is about as immoral and tyrannical as it gets. Would someone please explain the logic of this? All of the manufactures are stating that there is no evidence supporting the vaccine protecting OTHERS. If it does what it supposed to do it only protects the RECIPIENT and no one else, so what is the point in forcing it on people that don’t want it?

I'd like to be wrong. Some people have terms of employment that include perception over performance. Group Think. No rudder. What's good is bad and what's bad is now good. Don't question it :shock: .

Employment is just an agreement between a real person and a "legal person", like buying a house with an HOA. Then we get upset when we are paying dues to someone who fines us for the neighbors dog poo in our yard. Voluntary agreement. Even if fired for a protected reason, you have recourse but you are still fired. Recourse takes time and is not guaranteed. Good luck getting a settlement for ignoring a perceived safety issue that could put the employer in court with customers and other employees, no matter how frivolous.

For all the techno in the past few decades, peoples ambitions and cognitive ability have not changed; just the environment and the tools.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: March 9, 2021, 8:46 am 

RTz wrote:

I hope you’re wrong. Not allowing people to provide for themselves unless the government gets to stick a needle in your arm is about as immoral and tyrannical as it gets.

X2.

I don't really care if an individual gets the vaccine not, but if injecting a foreign compound into my body essential becomes mandatory, they essential own me and you can kiss free will goodbye. If they can do that, they can do anything.

PostPosted: March 9, 2021, 5:23 pm 

I had the J&J yesterday morning, I had a bout of cold chills yesterday evening, and I don't feel prefect today but OK. It's the one and done shot so that simplifies things. I see the research says NOBODY that has received the vaccine has been admitted to hospital or has died, that's good enough for me. I have a couple of friends that were on ventilators, not fun. My managers sister died Sunday.

Graham

PostPosted: March 9, 2021, 6:14 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Not so per VAERS. Use the CDC Wonder search to drill down or run a full report of the effects. These are only reports submitted.

https://vaers.hhs.gov/data.html

The report I just ran (don’t know if the link will work):

https://wonder.cdc.gov/controller/datar ... 7E796360DA

It shows about 1000 have died or a little less than 4%, which is an improvement from the article I read recently (not main stream media) that broke it down by age and time frame, with about half dying the same day, the rest within a week if memory serves. I would assume underlying issues contribute to that and I think most were 50 and older but you can run the reports yourself. It's only as good as the submitted reports.

Sorry to hear that. I've heard recovery from being put on a ventilators is not likely but I don't know.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: March 9, 2021, 7:55 pm 

Miatav8, the VAERS database shows 565 and 576 deaths following the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. I don't see any deaths reported for the J&J vaccine that FastG was referring to, unless I'm mistaken and it's under a different manufacturer name? It's a rather different vaccine than the two mRNA vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna, and so far has been far less utilized as it's only recently approved.

PostPosted: March 9, 2021, 8:52 pm 

Paul,

I got my first Moderna 02/27, the second is scheduled for the 23. Sore arm, some flu like symptoms then normal.That covers the 24 hours after the injection. Curious what if any side effects the second will have. I had a choice between Pfizer and Moderna. Having nothing to go on I blindly chose the Moderna. Would have rather had the J&J bu that wasn't an option then. Is now but i don't think they will do one on top of another.

For those of you refusing to get vaccinated be aware your vaccination card may be required for attendance to some events/activities. That was not my focus. My concerns were for family and other folk I care about.

Stay healthy!