LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 21, 2022, 5:25 pm 

Hard to believe I bought this engine sixteen years ago, but the sad truth is, if I haven't got around to building this car yet, I'm not likely to in the next sixteen years (when I'm 90).

Triumph Rocket III 2300cc engine w/five speed transmission, dry sump, fuel injection, hp specs at 130 to 145 depending on where it's measured (rear tire or crankshaft, and probably somewhere in between when coming out of the trans). Compact, light weight, and would be a fabulous Locost powerplant...
Attachment:
R3Cropped.jpg

...a whole lot more fabulous than it is in a touring bike, in my opinion. I think it's a ridiculous amount of power for a high handlebar motorcycle, but if that's your thing, you can ride it out of here, once you put on turn signals and a tail light, 'cause it got rear ended at a stop sign and the fender and back lights got smooshed; fortunately the rest of the bike was protected by the 9" wide 240/50-R16 rear tire. There's enough cosmetic damage on the left side (after impact, the bike fell over) that I got a good deal on it (though not as good a deal as you're getting)

For $2995, you can take the whole bike, or I'll tear it down to its car-ready essentials (engine package inc. oil tank, electrical inc. computer and wiring harness, tachometer, air box, exhaust header, etc) for free (I'll earn back my labor by selling the leftover bits),

I'll put this up on my local Craigslist next week, as a Do-It-Yourself Bobber, but I wanted you folks to have first shot at it

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 21, 2022, 6:03 pm 

Somebody PLEASE buy this!!!! I always thought this motor would make a great BEC. If I were younger I would buy it. Russ

PostPosted: August 4, 2022, 5:41 pm 

Which way does the output shaft rotate? It's on the left, correct?

PostPosted: August 5, 2022, 3:37 pm 

Davesax36 wrote:
Which way does the output shaft rotate? It's on the left, correct?
It's on the left, right...I mean correct. Which means either use a 4WD/AWD front diff, or a RWD diff flipped over, or remove the driveshaft reverser built into the engine case and make up an output yoke that connects directly to the output shaft of the trans. Which is what I would do if I was making ten of these, but for one, the 4WD/AWD front diff/axle option (mounted in the rear, of course, for rear wheel drive) would be by far the easiest.

And BTW, it has 10,106 miles on the clock. It got rear ended, it didn't get worn out, and it's been parked indoors ever since.

PostPosted: August 7, 2022, 7:28 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

There are exceptions to the typical direction of rotation. Unlike a belt/chain drive, I would not assume the shaft turns one direction based on the side it comes out of unless you know what side of the ring gears drive or are driven by the pinions on each end of the shaft. There are reasonable cost options either way. :cheers:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: August 7, 2022, 10:47 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
...I would not assume the shaft turns one direction based on the side it comes out of unless you know what side of the ring gears drive or are driven by the pinions on each end of the shaft.
That's a very good point. I think I'll walk down to the storage place and take a look. I THINK I remember it being the reverse of a typical RWD diff, but a look would be best.

PostPosted: August 7, 2022, 3:25 pm 

Well I'll be dipped, I'd gone to lots of trouble to determine how to make a drive shaft rotation reverser for the Rocket III (at a time when I was considering this engine for a production car...ah, the dreams of youth) and it already has one built in! Yes, unlike the Gold Wing, and dang near everything else in the cruiser bike world, the drive shaft pinion is on the left of the ring gear, just like a regular car!

Mind you, it's geared pretty tall. With its 27" OD rear tire and 2.841 final drive ratio, it claims 145 at 6000 rpm, so figure 3000 puts it between 70 and 75, so a Miata diff isn't going to be a good choice, unless you want to go to 100 right away and stay there. The Miata ND diff would be perfect for loping along the freeway (at 2.866) but NA through NC have 4.100 final drive and they're anoyingly spinny even in a stock Miata.

Lucky there are lots of other rear differential choices.

PostPosted: October 8, 2022, 8:48 am 

Just in case someone wants to “turn up the wick” on one of these bad boys, here is a fun read.

https://carpenterracing.com/sbp_TRIII.htm

https://carpenterracing.com/RIII_SB_track1.htm