LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 15, 2024, 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Panhard Rod contruction
PostPosted: February 7, 2006, 1:26 pm 
I need a 33" panhard with 1/2" rod ends.
I thought about buying one from "stockcarproducts.com" but they use 3/4" rod ends which seems to be an overkill to me, although $35 is a good price for aluminum. Less for steel.

As I can not find one to buy what would you recommend to build one:
1) construction methods
2) steel or aluminum
3) tube or solid rod
4) type of steel or aluminum

Thanks
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7, 2006, 4:37 pm 
Mcmaster-carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ has aluminum tube that is .437" ID and .219" wall and .875" OD in alloy 6063, which I think is about right for making a panhard bar for 1/2" rod ends. Price is $26.91 for a 8' length. You would take a tap and thread both ends. There is no reason you can't use right hand threads on both ends, but ideally you would want to do a left on one end and right on the other. Get a couple of 1/2" jam nuts from the local hardware place and you would be all set.

If you think steel would be better I think they have a workable steel tube for doing the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8, 2006, 2:03 am 

I used 3/4" DOM with 3/16" (I think) wall which was just slightly tight for a 1/2" tap. A LH and a RH tap and 1/2" rod ends and jam nuts and I was done.

A 4' length of DOM was about $10. I bought longer because I used the same stuff for my trailing/control arms in the rear and also as part of the front control arms and my steering tie rods.

I might replace the rear control arms, panhard bar and tie rods with aluminum swedged tubing later ... we'll see.

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 10, 2006, 11:02 pm 
I like to use aluminum for as many things as I can. Right now my car has a steel panhard but I will be switching it out for an aluminum one with 5/8ths right and left hand rod ends. I use 1 inch outside diameter 6061 for the tubing. Think its 220 wall, i forget off the top of my head. I'll probably even switch out the rod ends for aluminum ones as well.

I mainly use 5/8ths rod ends because I use those on a majority of the products I sell so I have the taps, dies, and tubing laying around for that stuff. 1/2 will work well also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 11, 2006, 12:16 am 

can someone explain to me why you need right and left hand rod ends on the panhard rod. I am a little confused by this.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 11, 2006, 7:43 am 
so that it will work like a turn buckle, you can make adjustments with out have to take the part off of the car.