LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 8:48 pm 

Hey guys, I’ve been reading here for a while and I’ve decided to build my own Locost. I’m 17 years old and have wanted a Seven style car since I first saw one. After lots of research I have decided on the McSorley +442. I will build it as fast as I can afford. I would like to use a Corolla GTS donor, so that’s a 4age and straight rear axle. This build will go as fast as I can afford. So far I have built a table for the frame, purchased some 1x1 and a horizontal band saw and started cutting. Right now I’m just laying out pieces until some room frees up in the shop so I can move down to have access to the welder.

Table I made…

30 bucks for a used band saw…

Getting more exited...

Little more…

This build will be fairly slow as I have a 17 year old’s income. I also start college in about 2 months so that will be even slower. I look forward to you guys pointing out mistakes for me. :)

-Taylor

Last edited by toylocost on April 30, 2012, 1:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 9:24 pm 

Nice score on the bandsaw. Sounds like you lucked out and got a cool dad. Good luck with the build!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 9:30 pm 

Thanks, haha yeah I got a cool dad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 10:01 pm 

Keep in touch - I built on an AE86 donor.

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 10:23 pm 

SkinnyG wrote:
Keep in touch - I built on an AE86 donor.

G
If you haven't already I suggest you spend some time at G's website.

http://www.geocities.com/g_wellwood/aut ... ocost.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 11:47 pm 

Awesome, another young builder. I'm 21, started my +442 in March. It's a lot of fun, a lot of time and money, but a lot of fun! Congrats and keep us up to date.

BTW Where are all these builds going on at once? Big garage? Sounds awesome hah

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7, 2008, 8:08 pm 

chetcpo wrote:
If you haven't already I suggest you spend some time at G's website.

http://www.geocities.com/g_wellwood/aut ... ocost.html

Thanks, I’ll take a look at that.

Blake wrote:
Awesome, another young builder. I'm 21, started my +442 in March. It's a lot of fun, a lot of time and money, but a lot of fun! Congrats and keep us up to date.

BTW Where are all these builds going on at once? Big garage? Sounds awesome hah

Ha, kinda, we have 40’x60’ shop also so they will probly be spread out between the 2 because my dad runs his business out of the shop. So far though we only have the materials for my frame when that’s done then we’ll get some for the next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8, 2008, 11:42 pm 

OK finally something happened. I’ve been sitting here day-dreaming for a month, and now I have some space in the shop since a previous project left.

Here I am moved in, this is the place…

Miller ARC/TIG Welder and my dad’s awesome welding table…

So hopefully I can get the frame cranked out, In the mean time (if things go like I want them to, lol) I’m supposed to pick up my donor on Saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9, 2008, 12:50 am 
Remember the hurrier you go the more it co$ts. Don't do the trans tunnel till you have the running gear to fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9, 2008, 11:12 am 

locostv8 wrote:
Remember the hurrier you go the more it co$ts. Don't do the trans tunnel till you have the running gear to fit.

I second that. Toyota diffs (at least for T and F series) all have offset input shafts. Also, the F series diffs (2nd gen supra and 1985 celica GTS) are available in LSD, which you definitely want. F series' cases are taller and have a slightly larger than T.

I know these because I accounted for neither :?

I am told the ae86 also uses a T series LSD inside the solid axle. Supposedly you can swap those bits into the T diff case. Goodluck finding those bits to put in. F series are stronger anyways.

This is all assuming you're going IRS.

Any news on the 84' GT-S? Where are you going to college?

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9, 2008, 5:40 pm 

eVox wrote:
locostv8 wrote:

I second that. Toyota diffs (at least for T and F series) all have offset input shafts. Also, the F series diffs (2nd gen supra and 1985 celica GTS) are available in LSD, which you definitely want. F series' cases are taller and have a slightly larger than T.

I know these because I accounted for neither :?

I am told the ae86 also uses a T series LSD inside the solid axle. Supposedly you can swap those bits into the T diff case. Goodluck finding those bits to put in. F series are stronger anyways.

This is all assuming you're going IRS.

Any news on the 84' GT-S? Where are you going to college?

So there is no chance of an LSD in the '84? And I'm supposed to go pick it up on Saturday.

I'm going to college at Folsom Lake College, and planning to transfer to Sacramento State University. I started this year looking at business as a major, but after going through the first class I find it to be so boring that I'm changing majors to mechanical engineering. Although I would still like to have my own business someday.

I look forward to your tips. I'm glad there is someone here who has already gone through this with a Celica. An '84 GT-S no less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9, 2008, 11:55 pm 

My toothless hillbilly (well, do have a couple) two cents is to learn engineering first. You can learn business on the job (also take it as elective credits if you insist) while you are cutting your teeth as an engineer. Business and economics classes were always torture for me. Too much seemed to rely on historical trends and projected hypotheticals. Sometimes I felt like even my professors were clueless and FOS. (if they know so much about making money why are they teaching? :lol: )

Engineering appeals to me. Laws of physics are absolute, unchanging and reliable. The only things that really change are material and design innovations which we "mechanical types" typically find rather interesting anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10, 2008, 12:14 am 

Wise move with the engineering... throw in a minor in business and you'll be set. There's nothing like playing around with mechanical stuff and get paid to do it.

95 525i

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10, 2008, 11:18 pm 

AK Seven wrote:
Wise move with the engineering... throw in a minor in business and you'll be set. There's nothing like playing around with mechanical stuff and get paid to do it.

Yes, I took business because I was apprehensive about having my main interest be my job also. My dad's main hobby was his airplane. He built one and sold it to finance a house and now he builds them for a living, he said that after working on stuff for his customers all day he doesn't feel like coming home to do the same thing for himself. Hopefully it will be different for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10, 2008, 11:21 pm 

So I did a little today, the compound angles. I couldn’t get them myself. Must have made the right side 4 times. But my dad helped me do it right and that’s what he's there for. That guy is so smart!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next