LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: March 6, 2011, 8:48 pm 

I see that I joined this forum back in 2006 the year that I bought my donor, a 1986 Toyota corolla GTS twin cam. Oh my god, or OMG as they say now, what a rust bucket. It's so long ago now that The details of the hunt and purchase are a bit sketchy. I know it was full of spiders and rust from having languished in a back yard for a year or two.
My wife has been after me for a couple of years now to post on the forum, she keeps saying that I owe it to all the members for all that I have learned here. I plead my lousy typing skills for the delay and the lack of knowledge of posting pictures. Posting pictures I'll try today.
My build table was the first frustration. You would think that in a country full of timber that you could find a straight piece of wood, well no you can't. All the good stuff must got to Japan or china. I ended up using pressure treated 4x4's that were almost straight and MDF which is almost wood. David

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by dfdahl on March 7, 2011, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 6, 2011, 8:59 pm 

OK, that seemed to work. The steel saw horses seemed to work quite well and were easy to level. When I first bought my steel I learned another lesson, steel yards are like lumber yards, don't let them pick your order. My first lot must have been dug up from some newbie pile, it was awful. Next steelyard was better. Now I'll try for some more pics. David

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 6, 2011, 9:15 pm 

OK this is not so bad, maybe I should have done this before. The nod to Chapman is obvious the nod to Skinny G is because I have followed his build and shamelessly copied everything I liked. I also met him several times and he was always very interesting and helpful. He also shared his recipe for the worlds greatest hamburgers. I could post it but then I would have to kill you.
My chassis is a combination of book, Skinny, and Collins. Book for size, Skinny for some mods, and Collins for the front and rear designs.

PostPosted: March 6, 2011, 10:35 pm 
The voice of reason

This build log looks like it's written by a pro! It's got everything humour, drama, pictures, threats to kill you! :) :cheers:

I laughed, I cried, I wished I was in the garage building. Thanks for showing us your stuff, It looks like a good contribution.

I've heard about those hamburgers, for years now. I think we need more food articles... :cheers:

Keep it up.

PostPosted: March 6, 2011, 10:41 pm 

Hey, Thank you. I'll keep adding over the next few days to catch up to where I am. David

PostPosted: March 6, 2011, 11:17 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo David-
Good build log! Sounds like you're off to a good start. I'm sure we'll want to see more pictures, please keep 'em coming.

Now, like Marcus said... About that burger recipe... Enquiring minds, etc... :lol:

:cheers:
JD "We talked about sausage in my build log" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 6, 2011, 11:49 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Can't wait to read more, David! :-)

Is that 16 ga tubing? Looks much heavier, but maybe that's just the burr from the saw I'm seeing.

Keep at it,
-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: March 7, 2011, 4:52 am 

dhempy wrote:
Can't wait to read more, David! :-)

Is that 16 ga tubing? Looks much heavier, but maybe that's just the burr from the saw I'm seeing.

Keep at it,
-dave

Yes great to see another project beginning! Dave spotted the same thing I noticed... 16g and 1" tubing all arround. A departure from the book bhassis, however everyone does something different. I'd love to know more about those hambergers! :D

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming, 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!'"

~Bill McKenna

PostPosted: March 7, 2011, 9:01 am 

David
Nice build, what spindles are you going to use?
I like how you have extend the rear horiziontal tube under the axle "i.e" Collins style.
If you plan on using the GTS rear axle you have to offset the rear RH vert tunnel tube, " I think it is tube "i" to clear the diff nose. The axle diff pinion is about 1.5" to the right side.

If you are interested, I have about a 8 page write up, on using a GTS as a donor along with a part numbers and mods for using a 4AGE and T-50. You PM me off line.
But the cost is the SECRET burger. :lol:
Dave W

PostPosted: March 7, 2011, 1:41 pm 

First, Yes it is all 16 gauge or .065 ,1 inch or 3/4 in square. The first stuff all rusty and crudy and the later nice and clean.
Next to DaveW Thanks for catching the spelling mistake, can you fix it or tell me how?
I'm using Hyundai spindles that are the supposed Cortina spindles of old. As you will see in future pics I did modify the left rear tube of the trans. tunnel even though I offset the whole tunnel to the right by an inch. Thanks for the offer of the info but the car is nearly finished at this point I just haven't posted much until now.
David

PostPosted: March 7, 2011, 2:12 pm 

Sorry but the burger recipe is still safe although when I start to wire up the alternator it might be in jeopardy.
Here are a few more earlier pics and some later.
With the Collins front front end the steering rack sits forward of the front tubes as you can see.
When I looked at shortening the spitfire rack I had I started to tremble and got cold all over. Only thing to do was hit Ebay. I found a Southwest Speed rack for about a hundred bucks that turned out to be new and unused. At 18.5 inches it turned out to be perfect.
Like Skinny and others I initially was planning on using as much of the donor as possible, Wiring, gauges, switches etc. But along the way somewhere I decided I wanted carbs instead of EFI and nice round gauges and nice old switches. So I chucked all the Toyota stuff and got a hotrod wiring kit, a MJLJ and a ford EDIS set up. Oh and a set of DCOE 40's from a guy in Greece and a manifold from a guy in San Antonio.

PostPosted: March 7, 2011, 2:17 pm 

I apparently need to downsize some of my pics to upload them. I'll be back.
David

and please fix that damned Hommage, its all I can see now!

PostPosted: March 7, 2011, 2:23 pm 

Ok I'm not the sharpest axe in the shed. I found the edit button.

Thanks GonzoRacer

PostPosted: March 7, 2011, 4:14 pm 

dfdahl wrote:

Thanks GonzoRacer

You don't have to be the sharpest axe in the shed, you just have to BE in the shed.
Good log by the way. I like hamburgers. :cheers:

PostPosted: March 7, 2011, 4:49 pm 
We are Slotus!

photoman wrote:
dfdahl wrote:

Thanks GonzoRacer

You don't have to be the sharpest axe in the shed, you just have to BE in the shed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Uhhh.... By the way... Where is that damned shed any way? I been lookin' for that thing for months!!! :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next