LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 4, 2024, 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 20, 2006, 9:17 pm 

So, here's the deal with mine. A couple of years ago I was hanging out with a couple of older guys who are crazy british car nuts. You name it, they've either heard of it, seen it, or ridden in it. Well, the one ( Jim B) decides to build a locost for himself. Me, being the resident shop bitch was around for a lot of the build. That car has so many mods to it from the biik build that this one might as well just as been completly from scratch. Fast forward 3 years to now. One of my co-workers was building a locost that he decided that a jag might be better for him. Now, this is a guy who was a machinst for YEARS!!!!!! So, he spent a ton of time making little bits and other stuff for his car. Now he has moved onto the the jag, he hasn't been working on the locost.

I'd been looking at buying a midget untill Tony ( co-worker) cuts a deal with me. For me helping on his jag, He'll give me the parts for the locost with the understanding of that I have to be actually working on it.

So, here's where I'm at now. The frame is almost complete with the exception of the motor/tranny mounts. The rear and front suspension are tacked together. He had bought a 2nd gen rx-7 and stripped it, so all the little bits are based of that.

Since he's in the middle of a move right now, he's been bringing boxes in as he can.

My plan is to go cheap as possible, but without throwing the safety issue out the window. Later on, i'll upgrade as I have the funds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20, 2006, 10:15 pm 

Welcome to the boards. We have had some others here build with rx-7 bits so you may look to them for ideas for engine mounts etc. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20, 2006, 10:42 pm 
I have looked at second gen RX7 stuff and will probably use a mixture of 2nd gen and first gen (I hapen to have plenty of stuff from each).

Of course this car was based on 2nd gen RX7

http://www.firstclass.com/%7Eron/locost/index.html

I wish he would post some more current info about the car. I can see where he felt like he made some mistakes, then revised.

Yeah, second gen RX7 makes a good car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 22, 2006, 5:46 pm 
another 2nd gen build welcome to my world

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 23, 2006, 9:22 pm 

thanks ya'll. I'm sure that i'll be asking a bunch of questions in the future.