LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 20, 2024, 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 30, 2006, 11:41 pm 

It's funny that when you start thinking about building a Locost you start looking at every car in regards to it being a potential donor :)

I saw an older Mazda MPV the other day and started thinking about the fact that it was RWD and came with a decent V6. I did some research on it and it turns out that the Mazda J-series engines were used in both the MPV and the 929. The good one is the DOHC motor from the 929S - 190HP and 200lb/ft.

Anyone know what manual trans options there might be for these engines? A 5spd was available on the MPV 4wd, but I don't know if I'd ever find one.

Thoughts and comments welcome...

Thanks!

-chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1, 2006, 10:43 am 

The Mazda 929 was rear wheel drive, right? I just checked wikipedia, and thats what is stated there. The DOHC V-6 is the JE-ZE, and if you can find a 929s to use as a donor engine and tranny you would be off to an intersting start. If the tranny pattern is the same between the JE and the JE-ZE, then you might be able to get away with using the the tranny from an MPV. I would look for the 929 myself, just because it exists already, and all the components bolt together. Well, that is if you can find a 929s somewhere, and for a reasonable price.

-Andy